Vortec Roller Block 383 Build? - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 16, 9:56 PM
Tech Team
Ralph

Re: Vortec Roller Block 383 Build?

I have not run any of the over the counter or Mex. heads in any of my builds, just used what came on the motor after magging the heads for cracks. Lots of the guys want to go to after market heads big roller cams and a lot of other things that cost a lot of money. If you have it spend it. If you want a cheap build that works then the eagle kit has the after market rods for the floating pins. My choice of cams would be the comp XR270HR works great in my 81 olds. 12.50 et at 109mph. on good air. 342 gear with a 26in DR. If you have questions then PM me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 16, 1:35 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

new updates on a 4year old thread
good to see others working on the same engine combos...

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 16, 9:44 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceS427bb View Post
new updates on a 4year old thread
good to see others working on the same engine combos...

Wow! I didn't notice that until I read your post.

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 16, 2:19 PM

Hey guys I have a 880 castings 350 block bored 30 over, I want to go forged internals, with a dished piston that is about -24cc because I wanted to put a blower on it. Not really trying to go over the top on HP I believe I would be happy with about 550hp.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 16, 2:22 PM

I guess my question is what brand of internals are great and where could I purchase for a good deal?
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 16, 3:32 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jake

Scat is a reputable aftermarket manufacturer of rotating assembly components.

1972 Malibu Sport Coupe - Victory Red on Black - 350/TH350

I do all my own stunts.
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 16, 4:37 PM
Tech Team
Jim

I'm in the early stages of putting together a similar build. I was planning on starting off with the ATK 383 short block and utilizing an existing set of iron Vortecs I have on my 350. The Vortecs have had the valve guides machined to allow up to a .530 lift and the rocker studs pinned.

I've read a lot on the cam choices but still not clear on what's best for my build, but want to take advantage of the OEM roller setup this block supports. Currently have a TH350 with a 2.73 posi which I plan to keep for now. So looking for a cam that will give me good overall performance but with good low-end torque to overcome current 2.73 gearing. This is strictly a street cruiser - don't plan to race at the track. Also considering an RPM air gap and carb in the 625-650 CFM range (currently have an Eddy 1406 - 600 CFM).

Suggestions? Am I on the right track with what I've described so far?

Thanks -

jim
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 16, 5:19 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim's69Ragtop View Post
I'm in the early stages of putting together a similar build. I was planning on starting off with the ATK 383 short block and utilizing an existing set of iron Vortecs I have on my 350. The Vortecs have had the valve guides machined to allow up to a .530 lift and the rocker studs pinned.

I've read a lot on the cam choices but still not clear on what's best for my build, but want to take advantage of the OEM roller setup this block supports. Currently have a TH350 with a 2.73 posi which I plan to keep for now. So looking for a cam that will give me good overall performance but with good low-end torque to overcome current 2.73 gearing. This is strictly a street cruiser - don't plan to race at the track. Also considering an RPM air gap and carb in the 625-650 CFM range (currently have an Eddy 1406 - 600 CFM).

Thanks -

jim
The Performer RPM is all you'll need. Very marginal difference between the RPM and a RPM airgap in this type of buildup. Stay small with your cam selection. First roller cams think they're bigger than they are when compared to an old school flat tappet cam. Second, shorter duration will help keep the power coming in at lower engine speeds. What type of fuel are you planning to run through this thing?
Jake Wade likes this.

I do all my own stunts.
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 16, 6:43 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Hi Jake -

Thanks for the response. Per ATK's site, with 64cc chambers, I would be at 9.8/1. I'm hoping this won't be too much for running premium which in our area is 91 octane.

jim
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 16, 9:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

9.8 will work, I run 91 oct. at that, but I have alum. heads.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 16, 1:01 PM
Tech Team
Jim

How much of a difference between the old Performer 2116 (Vortec version of the 2101) and the RPM. I'm currently running the 2116 - will it be a noticeable improvement to go with the RPM for my 383 build?

Thanks -

jim
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 16, 1:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jake

Yes, I think so. I had a 2101 on my 350 and noticed a big difference swapping to the RPM, so I'd say there will be a more noticeable difference on a bigger engine.

I do all my own stunts.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 16, 4:22 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VORTECPRO View Post
"If those are the mexican casting good luck trying to make power"

Those things have a lot of problems, I wouldn't consider using those either.
What kind of problems? My out-of-the-box Mexican 062s looked OK (227 cfm @ 0.450" if I recall). Seems in-line with the often quoted figures for "US" 062/906 heads.

EDIT: Vortecpro - you talking about the Darts?
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 16, 4:27 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by novadude View Post
What kind of problems? My out-of-the-box Mexican 062s looked OK (227 cfm @ 0.050) if I recall.
The Mexican castings are not a 170 runner like GM advertises. I really doubt those heads are flowing 227 CFM at .050 lift ( 50 thousands lift ) Not even at .500 lift they will not flow that much.

Website is up and running

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Machine shop tour

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Monthly Specials

post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 16, 4:28 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim's69Ragtop View Post

Thanks -

jim
Howards 270/278, 217/225, .495/.500, 108 LSA roller would be a good choice. I have this cam in a Vortec head 355, and it has good low-end performance. Should have even better low-end performance in the longer stroke engine. Probably be all done at 52-5500 rpm, but you don't need more than that wit a tall 2.73 gear anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1207 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.