542” Tri-Power motor, cast iron exh.manifolds – 671.05 rwhp w/mufflers - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 11, 7:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

542” Tri-Power motor, cast iron exh.manifolds – 671.05 rwhp w/mufflers

I have posted here in the past even though the car is a Corvette. I created this thread on corvetteforum.com and thought that some of you might be interested.

The car is a 1967 Corvette convertible.

All of the runs were made with the factory 1967 tri-power intake manifold, factory cast iron exhaust manifolds, a custom fabricated 3” exhaust system, all accessories connected (including clutch fan), and power steering.

Here are the numbers from the DynoJet:
STD: 671.05 rwhp / 633.45 rwtq
SAE: 652.77 rwhp / 616.20 rwtq
Uncorrected: 671.87 rwhp / 634.23 rwtq

Some of my friends want to know what that equates to in flywheel horsepower. I hear a lot of people talk about 15%-20% for manual transmission cars.

If you take 15% the numbers become the following:
STD: 789.47 flywheel hp / 745.24 flywheel tq
SAE: 767.96 flywheel hp / 724.94 flywheel tq
Uncorrected: 790.43 flywheel hp / 746.15 flywheel tq

If you take 20% the numbers become the following:
STD: 838.81 flywheel hp / 791.81 flywheel tq
SAE: 815.96 flywheel hp / 770.25 flywheel tq
Uncorrected: 839.84 flywheel hp / 792.79 flywheel tq

There are some people on this forum that insist Corvettes eat up well over 20% due to the independent rear axle.

For any purists out there, I am not trying to pass the car off as an original 435 hp 427 Corvette. It is a 327 car pure and simple. I will freely admit this to anyone who asks. The more I thought about trying to make a tri-power setup produce big numbers, the more I wanted the challenge. Making this combination run with factory exhaust manifolds just added to the challenge.

My goal with this combination is to have it appear factory correct under the hood. I also happen to have a 1967 Corvette coupe with a 632" motor that looks nothing like stock under the hood. I wanted to do something different this time. I have taken a great deal of time trying to make things appear stock. Most everything for this conversion was purchased from Paragon Corvette Reproductions.

This car originally came with a 350 hp 327. I put a 383” motor in it around January of 2006. With cast iron exhaust manifolds and 2-1/2” exhaust, that motor made 416.47 rwhp / 430.4 rwtq and went 11.93 at 114.99 mph in the quarter. (BTW, the 383” motor is for sale.)

The gold color you see on the top of the exhaust manifolds are a result of the exhaust manifold paint I purchased from Paragon. I painted the entire exhaust manifold with this product. It starts out gold and then as they heat up they change to a cast iron color. Since the temperature of the exhaust manifold is lower the closer you are to the exhaust flange of the head, the longer it will take to change colors.

The motor consists of the following: Chevrolet Bowtie block, Dart *highly disguised* 335 CNC heads, Jesel valvetrain, Mike Jones solid roller cam, Isky EZX roller lifters and valve springs, BRC crank, Howards I-Beam rods, J&E pistons, Total Seal rings, Clevite 77 bearings, Dan Olson oil pan, Holley fuel pump, and a trio of *SPECIAL* Holley 2-barrel carburetors.

I have made 52 DynoJet runs to get to this point. My first run was on October 20th, 2011 and the final run was on November 20th, 2011. I have tried everything within reason including moving the cam timing 4 separate times. I am not talking about ignition timing here. Anyone who has moved the cam timing on a motor that doesn’t have a belt drive while the motor is in the car can attest to the amount of work it requires. The entire front end of the motor has to come off every time.

I'm sure I left a bunch of stuff out but this is a start. I have a friend that owns a machine shop that bored, torque plate honed, align-honed, and decked the block to my specifications. He also balanced the rotating assembly. Everything else was done by me. This includes the assembly and necessary massaging of the components in the motor. For instance, since I now have a mill and a lathe, I was able to flycut the pistons and machine my own pushrods. I also made significant modifications to the oil pan and fabricated the 3" exhaust system including making my own 'X' pipe. The exhaust system consists of (2) DynoMax bullet mufflers and (2) DynoMax Ultra Flo oval mufflers run in series.

One last thing. I will be drag racing this car this spring. (Sorry for the long-winded post.)

Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 11, 7:41 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: 542” Tri-Power motor, cast iron exh.manifolds – 671.05 rwhp w/muff

Very cool car!
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 11, 8:03 PM
Senior Tech Team
Joe

Nice. Vette manifolds flow a heck of a lot better than the log manifolds. Assuming you just expanded the head pipe to 3" right at the manifold outlet. Did the Bullets and the Ovals quiet it down enough to make it worth the effort?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 11, 8:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Glad to see you back again Steve, I just asked Mike Lewis about you last week, and you pop up. Nice project. I see you are using the harder to find tri power. Sounds like fun(except for the cam changes).

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE THE POWER..... AND IF YOU USE THAT POWER BAD THINGS ARE GOING TO HAPPEN!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike Lewis street 572

Cale Aronson
Black Magic clutches

Cam by UDHarold
Menscer Motorsports

TRZ

CEAutoelectric

post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 11, 8:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

I like that car
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 11, 9:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokerboats View Post
I like that car
X2....Now that is impressive......

post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 11, 9:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jimmyradford

Wow, that's cool. I can't imagine how squirrelly that thing could get.

TC Member # 4431
'16 GMC Denali XL- 6.2L's are sweet
'07.5 Chevrolet 2500HD-6.6 D-Max
'07.5 Chevrolet Suburban
'67 Chevrolet Biscayne- BB 427/TH400/10 bolt (Hers)
'67 Hell Camino-BB 427/TH400/4.10 (His)

"Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-Orsen Wells

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people. And they are more useful in general.
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 11, 10:32 PM
Tech Team
Jim

This is totally cool. Steve sent you an email please share details.....I have plans for a 496 build this winter for my 68 keeping the tripower. Your engine is putting out more then my beast 557. AWSOME.
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 11, 10:33 PM
mike

Thumbs up Re: 542” Tri-Power motor, cast iron exh.manifolds – 671.05 rwhp w/muff

Screw the purists, I like the numbers and it looks great!
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 11, 11:17 PM
Senior Tech Team
JIM

Another fantastic Steve build!!

For those that don't know him...Steve will spend all the time necessary to plan and learn every single detail of his builds so that they turn out this way. Probably one of the most detail oriented people you will ever meet. If he doesn't know something or finds a new skill he needs to posess....he learns everything about it so he can do it himself. The headers he built for the 632" in the other '67 to clear the Big Chief heads and dry sump oiling system were just incredible.

The details of this build are going to blow some minds!

JIM

'67 Vette-555"/Gforce 5 Spd/Dana 60 IRS-3.07's

Best ET
Best MPH

200 MPH at TX Mile

"...when it's not pointing at a wall...grab a gear!"

*This Life Stuff ain't no dress rehearsal"
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 11, 11:23 PM
Tech Team
Vinnie

I like your style! Stock class at the shows, and leading at the track. The best all around corvette known to man.
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 11, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by novadude View Post
Very cool car!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokerboats
I like that car !
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCB67SS
X2....Now that is impressive......
Quote:
Originally Posted by badrad
Wow, that's cool. I can't imagine how squirrelly that thing could get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 bird
Screw the purists, I like the numbers and it looks great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnievega
I like your style! Stock class at the shows, and leading at the track. The best all around corvette known to man.
Thanks guys!

Steve
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 11, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN69CHV View Post
Nice. Vette manifolds flow a heck of a lot better than the log manifolds. Assuming you just expanded the head pipe to 3" right at the manifold outlet. Did the Bullets and the Ovals quiet it down enough to make it worth the effort?
Kind of correct on the head pipes but there is a whole lot more work that goes into it. As far as the Bullets and the Ovals, with the 383 in the car I had a real ugly sound coming out of the Ovals. I added the Bullets and it went away. I used both this time just to make sure.

Steve
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 11, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by aukai View Post
Glad to see you back again Steve, I just asked Mike Lewis about you last week, and you pop up. Nice project. I see you are using the harder to find tri power. Sounds like fun(except for the cam changes).
Thanks. I hope that Mike didn't have too much bad to say. I wish the guy was closer. I can't imagine what you have to go through. I'm sure it is worth it.

Like I said, I love a challenge.

Steve
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 11, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtieman427 View Post
This is totally cool. Steve sent you an email please share details.....I have plans for a 496 build this winter for my 68 keeping the tripower. Your engine is putting out more then my beast 557. AWSOME.
Hey, thanks. I will respond to your email tomorrow.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2363 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.