1969 Chevelle Malibu
496 /th400/ford 9", 3.70 gears.
Best Time: TBD

Old Best:
408 big block / th350 / 4.11 powertrax 10 bolt
[email protected] on BFG drag radials
1.782 60'

A.C.E.S. # 7037

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 09, 10:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Re: Formally Retired From Racing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN WILSON View Post

I hate that when guys can't make up their mind!!

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 09, 10:04 PM
Tech Team

I'm with ya on that. I've never made a dime with my car other than a friend or two giving me gas money to ride. I dunno why I put so much into this racing deal...

post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 09, 10:28 PM
Tech Team
Andy

Send a message via Skype™ to Holey Moley 64

Bracket = money

-Andy

1979 Malibu

383, 200-4r
AFR195
60122 Lunati
9" 3.90

"The great proof of madness is the disproportion of one's designs to one's means." -
post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 09, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Joe

I did the bracket thing - back when it was fun - and cheap. It's not running the car that I'm against. Backing safety out of the deal, I do like power, plain and simple. I also do like the experimentation, the tuning & tinkering. Have a lot of other interests to keep me busy on weekends though, which really only leaves Wednesday or Friday Night Street Nites. I just get really annoyed with the constant breakdowns and oil downs from the imports that show up. Was gonna call it quits on racing couple years ago, but had a goal and wanted to see it through. Think it gets to the point where you start factoring in the law of averages, find where you are in the curve and come to the realization that maybe "this time", you will quit while you're ahead.

post #21 of 56 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 09, 11:32 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN69CHV View Post
maybe "this time", you will quit while you're ahead.
I think the only way to do that in racing is to quit before you start.

Ray

Best pass 8.87 at 150.98 1.212 60'. Sold 3/2018

1970 SS 396 project in progress. Bought 5/2018
post #22 of 56 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 09, 11:32 PM
Tech Team
Dave

A trip or two to the track for a TNT is really not racing.
You have given up testing your car, now it's time to try actually racing, big difference.

Dave

NHRA #183L
'90 Mustang LS 346(NA)8.72/154.90
post #23 of 56 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 09, 11:46 PM
Tech Team
Bart

GRN69CHVL cites other realistic reasons besides the roll-bar not to race. As for the bar itself, I was repelled at putting a bar in my car, and now it doesn't bother me at all. The swing-outs look like a part of it, and the rear bars are so far to the side of the trunk that storage isn't affected. I"m still a "trunk racer" bringing all my race equipment in the car. Not related, but recently test drove a 78 Trans am and realize how lucky we are with our trunks storage. Also had the roll-bar done with flat plates that can be ground off instead of going thru the body and was pre-approved before undertaking.

The imports don't seem to blow up anymore than domestics at my local track, but they are more annoying, second only to junior dragsters. I prevented the juniors from racing on days with the big cars any more when a father put one behind mine and I mistakenly backed over it. Had to be the best painted one there. Ever since, we've been separated on the schedule as the owners grandkids race juniors too. It was almost worth it.

I regularly give up racing whenever an expensive repair comes up and the girlfriend just laughs. You've greater intestional fortitude than me. Like many, I've formed friendships that started at the track.

'70 Chevelle, 496, Vortech V-7
Turbo 400, 3.90 12 Bolt, 3,200 Stall, Gearvendors, Performer RPM Heads, Victor Jr., Jesel Rockers
10.42 @132 best w/ 3,980 Race Weight
9-10,000 Routine Local Air Density
post #24 of 56 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 09, 12:23 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ron

I dont think you need to quit going to the track all together. Maybe just go a few times a year for fun! You dont need to monkey around with the car changing it all the time. Just go for fun every now and then!

69 Camaro
491/AFR 315/Straub hyd roller/pump 91
TH400/GV OD/9" 3.50's/ 255/60/15 DR

10.86 at 124.8
3670 with driver
post #25 of 56 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 09, 1:29 AM
Tech Team
Mike Knudson

Send a message via AIM to knudsonm

I get it. You saw the Lexani and Driverz Inc ads on the site and now you want to go a different direction with the build. Next post will be - where can I find a 10" lift kit for my chevelle - LOL

Too damned broke to be fast
post #26 of 56 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 09, 6:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Joe

It's really about the what's at risk factor. Wasn't long ago 12.0 was the limit. I know we all take it lightly, but 11.50/116-117 is flying - especially with nothing more than a 40 year old lap belt and shoulder belt for safety gear and a bench seat to boot. Few years back we had a '94 Firebird here that I had thought about keeping and convert to a race car. Would have been the perfect platform - light, aerodynamic, disposable/replaceable, something you could just cut up without remorse. If I ever consider it again, it will be something more on the lines of that platform.

post #27 of 56 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 09, 8:36 AM
Senior Tech Team

i guess it depends on what you call racing-if your going out every weekend and comp., and stop, then you stopped racing-if just going out now and then to get a time, and decide not to do it anymore, thats just leaving part of the hobby to do something else, lol
after doing this stuff for over 40 years, i have no desire to go every weekend, wait in line,
wait longer if something happens, come back to find someone blocking my trailer-i just cant do that part anymore-but i do like to go to a track rental, make a couple passes, or some
special event, like i did for Pass Time, but thats about it for me-all the last few cars i built were street first, pump gas, but i did add roll bars if i wanted to make a pass-you can always cut them out later-my current 69 can run a high 9's, all steel, stock bench seat int., roll bar, and i can drive it anywhere, pretty quite, p/s, p/b's, 2K @ 60 MPH, thanks to a stroker LS/Procharger, 4L80E trans-went on a 400 mile trip, no problem-true, the roll bar
is a pita sometimes, but i tried to design it with being least obtrusive-i think they do add to the inside noise a lot, never had a before and after comp.
in all honesty, if i never made another pass, wouldnt be a big deal-i much prefer the cruises, just getting out and driving, stop somewhere and hammer a couple gears

when your credit cards are maxed, have the limits raised
post #28 of 56 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 09, 8:38 AM
Tech Team
Dave

Joe,
Now your talking, get a cheap disposable car, put a cheap disposable reliable engine in it,
make it safe and enjoy racing. Even if only couple times a year chasing or being chased to the stripe is a blast.
Check out this local index series, www.nashootout.com
Index racing on a .500 pro tree, 9.5 to 13.0 in .5sec increments.
7 events a Mid Atlantic Tracks, 2 events at Cecil. I was able to cover my entrance fees and then some last year.
Throw a crate motor in that 'Bird and have some fun. It is a real challenge runnin the number at different tracks and a great group of regulars that travel to the events.

Dave

NHRA #183L
'90 Mustang LS 346(NA)8.72/154.90
post #29 of 56 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 09, 9:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Joe

Yeah Dave, I knew you would get it!

post #30 of 56 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 09, 9:23 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

How do you retire from something you rarely do?

Its like a welfare reciepiant saying there done working...

*69 SS 502 EFI /224* HR/9.8:1/T56/3.90/ 4000lbs RW 11.5/124mph
*96 Stang 6.0 turbo 10.5/135mph (9.13 ET w/E85 and 16psi) **SOLD**
*2011 Mustang GT premium
*61" Scag Kohler 22hp 7mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3657 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.