Team Chevelle banner

Lunati voodoo 60101 or 60102???

34K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  BobinPA 
#1 ·
I have just purchased new Dart iron eagles heads 180cc runners and 64cc chambers setup .500 lift springs for my 350 in a 76 Vette. I figure the compression is going to be around 9.0:1 to 9.25.1 with the dished pistons. I'm going to be using and Edelbrock performer 2101 intake and a Lars built q-jet, stock exhaust manifolds with a true dual 2 1/2 exhaust, to retain a stock appearance. The car has a th350 with 3.08 gears and want to keep the A/C. I do have a B&M torque master stall which should stall between 1900 to 2100.

I would like to know which Voodoo cam will work better for me. The 60101 reads, Works with stock converter, ac, power brakes and stock valve springs.

The 60102 works great with stock exhaust manifolds, dual plane intakes, mild carb's and auto tranny's which is my exact setup. It doesn't say it works with A/C or power brakes. Which one should I buy?

#2 ·
60102 the brakes will work just fine

#4 ·
Either will work. People are getting 10+ mpg in their TRUCKS while hauling their cars to the track with the 60102. The designs make enough vacuum and off-idle torque to allow a little larger than normal 0.050 number.

I would venture to say that the 60103 would even work for your set-up, but I firmly believe that too small is ALWAYS better than too big.

I'd go with the 60102:thumbsup:

#7 ·
I guess if you look at my setup you should realize I'm not trying to be the fastest car on the street. I don't want to turn a perfectly driveable street car into an all out race car. I just wasn't happy with the 180hp it comes with. Can you image one of Chevy's best car's of 76' getting beat by a mid level toyota that just pulled off the lot, I can't.

#8 ·
You are not going to make a "Corvette" an all out race car with your setup by installing the second smallest voodoo cam. :noway:

The "Flagship" of GM is probably getting toasted right now by "mid level Toyotas" because of your current stock setup or you would not be wanting to change it. :yes:

I have a 350 SBC in my truck, running one of Harold's cams, 401A6Lun, with AFR 180cc heads that is just killer. It is a solid ft, 276/284 on 112lsa, and still runs my power brakes just fine. Lots of "Dropped Jaw" looks from the Mustang and Camaro boys after I pull away from them. And I still use it to haul mulch, etc.

You can not go wrong with his designs. Just trying to help is all.....good luck my friend. :beers:

#16 ·
I have a 350 SBC in my truck, running one of Harold's cams, 401A6Lun, with AFR 180cc heads that is just killer. It is a solid ft, 276/284 on 112lsa, and still runs my power brakes just fine. Lots of "Dropped Jaw" looks from the Mustang and Camaro boys after I pull away from them. And I still use it to haul mulch, etc.
Digging up an old topic but what is your setup in your truck? I found this topic on a search because I have a mostly stock '69 C10 short-box with a stock 350 (rebuilt). It has a stock LT-1 intake and headers, etc, but other than that nothing special.

#10 ·
I guess, I should add the reason I am choosing such mild cams. I am building this on the stock L-48 block which is only 2 bolt main and I am not changing anything inside of it. So I don't plan to put it over 5500 rpm so with that in mind would you still choose the 60102 or would the 60101 be better suited. I can't choose a cam over .500 lift because of the springs and I don't want to change them.

#14 ·
I will go with pdq67---Run the 60101.
I don't remember the exact BHP of the Holley tests, but it certainly beat the 256 Xtreme Energy cam, at both ends. It has excellent vacuum, works ALL power accessories like A/C and P/B, pulls right from idle with a stock converter, and it turned 6200 with Vortec heads and stock Vortec springs.
It increases power over the stock cam by a noticeable amount, and with sane driving, will give good mileage.
Dacaman12(Michael) would like the 60102........
Lots of guys like the 60103. I have driven the 60103 and I wanted a little more vacuum for the brakes. I'm an old codger.

UDHarold

PS---Lunati sold over 4300 or the 60101 last year. It is a popular and versatile cam.

#17 ·
Lincoln9, I run the Dart IE180 heads on a somewhat similar 350. They are great heads, and I think your combo with the 60101 will make a really sweet driver/cruiser. I think the better heads and 60101 cam will make a tremendous difference with no other changes.

Also, at the risk of hijacking lincoln's topic, someone above mentioned towing. I have a nearly bone stock 350 in my 64 C10 truck, and I towed with it for the first time last weekend. I did get 10MPG on a 250 mile round trip with my 3600 pound Chevelle on a 1700 pound 18' open trailer. I kept the speed around 55-65 MPH. Maybe my results would be of interest to people planning to tow.

The truck is a 64 C10 short/fleet with Muncie 3-speed manual and 3.73 rear gears. The 350 long block is actually the original 350-4bbl/255 horse engine from my Chevelle, rebuilt to stock specs including a Crane blueprint copy of the original GM camshaft...duration at .050 is 196 I think, lift is .390/.410. The only non-stock items on the engine are full length headers with 1.5" primaries, and a Holley #3310 carb that I chose only because I had it laying around already and was building this engine on a budget.

I was encouraged to get 10MPG, because I feared it would be more like 8MPG. I am seriously considering buying a Shawn Murphy QJet to see if I can do a little better. I'm sure the Holley is not optimal for this combo. I might even try the 60101 cam later if I can get around to it. There's lots of room in the truck engine bay, so I think I could swap cams fairly easily without pulling the engine.

EDIT: I didn't catch the first time that Cable was bringing up and old topic. Cable, are you planning to tow with your 69 C10, or are you more interested in street performance? I can tell you that my 64 C10 tows real nice, although I do use a good weight-distributing hitch, and I have brakes on BOTH axles on my trailer.

#18 ·
for what its worth, my 68 with the voodoo 60104 got close to 17 mpg with an untouched edelbrock carb. now with a holley and an air fuel meter tool im shooting for 20+ mpg.

i would return the 60101 and go with the 60102 if you are worried about gas mileage. 60103 wont really hurt mileage all that much, but the 60102 fits you more than anything. both cams are weak for a 350 and either one will get trememdous gas mileage if tuned in the ballpark. vacuum wont be an issue at all. with the 60104 i run a vacuum canister which was 40 bucks and i run power brakes on the street.

PS: ditch those exhaust manifolds for headers. anybody who knows anything is going to recognize dart iron eagles and that edelbrock intake as aftermarket parts...

#19 ·
Use the 60102 voodoo, run 1.6 roller rockers and forget it, your car will move.!!!:thumbsup: Headers would really be a good idea, I mean you are upgrading to better heads/better cam and you are restricting your engines full potential with exhaust manifolds. Save the old manifolds if want to get her back to that stock look. I would also look into Edelbrocks new EPS intake, they say its better than the performer..

#20 ·
Lincoln9

Consider sending you carb to Sean Murphy, one of our TC sponsors.
The stock calibratons suck.
Tell him what you have, what you are doing for changes.....

Several years back, my 78 Z-28 was slow as hell. Some re-jetting, changing of some settings, etc....world of difference. Also think about your catalytic converter being an impediment. Order a new performance unit, save your tire old-school one in the corner of the garage. You'll be most pleased with the difference!!!! A lot has changed since the infant days of catalytic converters.

#21 · (Edited)
I just bought a slightly used 60101 for use in the 5.7L truck short block going in a Jet Boat. Will run log style aluminum water cooled manifolds as a lot of jurisdictions around here no longer allow dry headers on the lakes. And adding mufflers and water injection to headers sort of defeats the purpose ...

Anyway the whole combo is as follows:

Early 80's 4-bolt truck engine pull, replaced by a BBC truck engine for more grunt (1 1/2 ton dump flat bed).

Slightly dished pistons with 4 valve reliefs.

Used Dart Pro-1 Aluminum Heads, 200cc runners and 64cc chambers. 2.02 and 1.60 valves. 1.550 springs at 110 and 230 over the nose. Compression calculator put this at 9.25 ...

A fore mentioned Lunati 60101 Cam. Howards Direct Lube hydraulic lifters. Howards push rods.

PRW 1.65 Aluminum roller rockers, so the actual valve lift will be closer to 0.500

Eddlebrock 1551 E-Force Supercharger (Edelbrocks' tech guys say 5 PSI boost and 100 HP gain).

Edelbrock 1410 750cfm marine carburetor.

MSD Pro-Billet distributor and MSD 6AL box.

Glenwood aluminum exhaust manifolds with 35* turn-down elbows. 3" wet exhaust out the transom. The manifolds are free'er flowing than most cast iron GM exhaust manifolds, but no sonic pulses to stop spent gasses and intake charge from going out the port, hence the mild cam. Gotta stay below 270* advertised duration to stop low speed water reversion into exhaust ports.

All running a Berkeley 12JG-A jet pump. Place Diverter (trim'able jet nozzle height), stuffer plate and stock rock grate intake.

Prolly run the cam straight up as it comes with 4* advance built in. Which is fine for the street where you need to get rolling. But I can give away a wee bit of bottom end for a few more lbs/ft on the top as the pump really loads the engine hard as shaft speed goes up. Like driving a water brake dyno w/ an exponential loading curve.

Have assembled similar motors for street cars (w/o blower) and they run very nicely. Idle well and pull hard enough to keep you grinning on the street :grin2:

Attachments

#23 ·
I have a 350 with the 60102 cam in my elco. I have GM Vortec heads, and about the same compression ratio as you. I use an RPM airgap manifold. The car has power brakes and AC, and idles fine, and I have plenty of brake assist. You will be fine with that cam.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.