Felpro one piece gasket or standard cork gasket?? - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

View Poll Results: Which oil pan gasket do you prefer
one piece gasket 127 73.84%
standard 3 piece gasket 45 26.16%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 06, 1:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: berkeley
Posts: 1,035
Felpro one piece gasket or standard cork gasket??

Which gasket do you prefer. I've been having some bad experiences on both the BBC and SBC one piece felpro gaskets. I put them on dry with a touch of black "the right stuff" silicone in all the corners. Keep getting leaks on a few engines I have built and friends also. What I have seen is that the gasket is stuck to the block very well but it doesn't seem to seal to the pan very well on the round parts(timing cover, rear main cap) So I'm putting together a 383 right now that spun a rod bearing and not sure what gasket I should use. He previously had a one piece that was leaking.

71 formula firebird, , 468; AFR rectangle port, 11-1 compression, Isky solid roller 290/294,...600+HP, Viper T56 six speed, 19" CCW rims, Hydroboost, C5 corvette brakes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2001 Honda F4I 600 Track bike
cody is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 06, 1:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mendocino County, Northern CA
Posts: 12,944
Re: Felpro one piece gasket or standard cork gasket??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody View Post
Which gasket do you prefer. I've been having some bad experiences on both the BBC and SBC one piece felpro gaskets. I put them on dry with a touch of black "the right stuff" silicone in all the corners. Keep getting leaks on a few engines I have built and friends also. What I have seen is that the gasket is stuck to the block very well but it doesn't seem to seal to the pan very well on the round parts(timing cover, rear main cap) So I'm putting together a 383 right now that spun a rod bearing and not sure what gasket I should use. He previously had a one piece that was leaking.
=
Hey Cody,
I have quit using the FelPro one pc gaskets. Could be a fluke but I have had two of them on BB's that failed in very short order.
They appeared to have split or deteriorated in the front.
Also know of two circle track guys that had the same problem with SB's along with an issue with the valve cover ones too.

Just for info, these were all with aftermarket pans so there could be an issue with too much compression or some such thing??

I have gone back to the FelPro performance gaskets for the pans
I think the number is 1804 for rats, don't remember the SB number.
I do have a SB one pc that I have had good luck with but it is not the FelPro gasket.
It is also cheaper

Mike (Wolfplace)
VISIT US AT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
++Complete Machine shop & Dyno services++
================================
Welcome to the internet,,, "Experts" made daily
===
"Life is tough.,, Life is even tougher if you're stupid."
----John Wayne----


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wolfplace is offline  
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 06, 1:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: berkeley
Posts: 1,035
Re: Felpro one piece gasket or standard cork gasket??

Hmmm, still confused, I did see some tears or slices in the front of his like you mentioned, and that is where its leaking in that general area. My BBC one might be leaking in the rear, but I didn't see any ripped gasket up there, but its hard to see. I have a milodon pan(thanks mike) on mine and a moroso on the sbc.

71 formula firebird, , 468; AFR rectangle port, 11-1 compression, Isky solid roller 290/294,...600+HP, Viper T56 six speed, 19" CCW rims, Hydroboost, C5 corvette brakes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2001 Honda F4I 600 Track bike
cody is offline  
 
post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 06, 1:57 AM
Senior Tech Team
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland, ORE
Posts: 3,035
Re: Felpro one piece gasket or standard cork gasket??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfplace View Post
=
Hey Cody,
I have quit using the FelPro one pc gaskets. Could be a fluke but I have had two of them on BB's that failed in very short order.
They appeared to have split or deteriorated in the front.
Also know of two circle track guys that had the same problem with SB's along with an issue with the valve cover ones too.

Just for info, these were all with aftermarket pans so there could be an issue with too much compression or some such thing??

I have gone back to the FelPro performance gaskets for the pans
I think the number is 1804 for rats, don't remember the SB number.
I do have a SB one pc that I have had good luck with but it is not the FelPro gasket.
It is also cheaper
Wolf,

Is it the 15:1 that causes the problem or the 13:1 CR........

My one piece FelPro is the first I've had that doesn't leak.

On the other hand, on older engines like these that use stamped sheet metal for pans, I think there are 2 scenarios.....those that leak right off the bat, and those that are going to leak!

Modern stuff with cast pans and modern gasketing seem to have fixed this for the most part.

My damn Moroso pan leaks from the oil drain plug.....no matter what gasket I put on the thing.......

BTW Mike...I hear I turned another buddy to the AFR dark side through little Mike. Not to worry though, they will be going on a 4000 lb 55 Chev TANK......but I bet it will go mid tens now.......

Ron
(the plastic Comp gear guniea pig)

69 Nova
LS Alum 5.3 single turbo
Best ET 8.76
Best MPH 157
2000 Corvette C5 Auto LS1 [email protected]
Dyno Operator/Tuner
Ron454 is offline  
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 06, 2:16 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mendocino County, Northern CA
Posts: 12,944
Re: Felpro one piece gasket or standard cork gasket??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron454 View Post
Wolf,

Is it the 15:1 that causes the problem or the 13:1 CR........

My one piece FelPro is the first I've had that doesn't leak.

On the other hand, on older engines like these that use stamped sheet metal for pans, I think there are 2 scenarios.....those that leak right off the bat, and those that are going to leak!

Modern stuff with cast pans and modern gasketing seem to have fixed this for the most part.

My damn Moroso pan leaks from the oil drain plug.....no matter what gasket I put on the thing.......

BTW Mike...I hear I turned another buddy to the AFR dark side through little Mike. Not to worry though, they will be going on a 4000 lb 55 Chev TANK......but I bet it will go mid tens now.......

Ron
(the plastic Comp gear guniea pig)
=
Hi Ron,, 15 :1
Yea, I used a number of the Felpro's with no issues but this is two in a row & when the owner is 700+ miles away & has to pull the engine to fix the damn thing himself,,, this sucks
Just glad he is an understanding kinda guy,,,, still, I feel really bad on something like this.

Don't know what he deal is, I just know I am going back to what I have never had an issue with.

Yes, Mike called last week on the poor guy you converted to those crummy heads,, said the checks in the mail
Thanks a bunch to you guys, I really do appreciate it

BTW, just got an email from another guy that lost one of the Composite gears. Don't know what brand cam he had or oil pressure, just that he shredded the gear

Mike (Wolfplace)
VISIT US AT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
++Complete Machine shop & Dyno services++
================================
Welcome to the internet,,, "Experts" made daily
===
"Life is tough.,, Life is even tougher if you're stupid."
----John Wayne----


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wolfplace is offline  
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 06, 2:53 AM
Senior Tech Team
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland, ORE
Posts: 3,035
Re: Felpro one piece gasket or standard cork gasket??

BTW, just got an email from another guy that lost one of the Composite gears. Don't know what brand cam he had or oil pressure, just that he shredded the gear [/QUOTE]

Hmmmm,

I imagine a lot of things can come into play.
Gear mesh, distributor used, HV oil pump, tons of oil pressure, cam type etc.
Maybe I'm just lucky? Or others would have wasted a steel or bronze gear too?
At least there isn't metal in the oil.

69 Nova
LS Alum 5.3 single turbo
Best ET 8.76
Best MPH 157
2000 Corvette C5 Auto LS1 [email protected]
Dyno Operator/Tuner
Ron454 is offline  
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 06, 10:37 AM
Team Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 11,306
Smile Re: Felpro one piece gasket or standard cork gasket??

When i bought my felpro 1pc pan gasket back in 2001 there were no inst with it stating what to trq the pan bolts too.

I went to the Felpro website and contacted their tech dept and long story short was the GM stock pan bolt trq was 2x higher then what felpro recommends for the 1 pc rubber gasket.

I think that many people may be accidentially over tightening the 1 pc pan gasket by a factor of 2x which will distort it and cause leakes.

I then asked why doesn''t felpro include a slip of paper with the 1pc gasket stating the greatly reduced trq requirement for the pan bolts or installe torque limiting metal sleves in nthe bolt holes to prevent over tightening and the ans i got was i dont know why and its not my dept resp.

Great cutomer concern/service there becasue i feel that over tightening of the gasket by a factor of 2x is very likely causing the failures IMHO and the felpro rep didnt seem to give a rats butt about it.

My felpro BBC 1 pc gasket has been on the motor since 2001,3k miles,with new stock pan and noleaks thus far.

But,after each summer season there is a slight seepage that is just enough to pick up some dirt on the drivers side t/cover to pan interface and it looks a little dirty which wipes off easily there but no drips onder motor at all.

Scott

SCOTT
1969 CHEVELLE SS396,ORIGINAL #'S MATCH,GOT IN 1978,(In 2001 rblt/bored original 396 .030 to 402)/M20/12BOLT/3:31'S
2002 MAXIMA (DAILY DRIVER/1 owner,GOT 3/2013 w-44k miles)
2009 HD ELECTRAGLIDE CLASSIC ULTRA (GOT 11/14 W-9,700 miles)
SWHEATON is offline  
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 06, 11:53 AM
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: GADSDEN, ALABAMA
Posts: 761
Wink Re: Felpro one piece gasket or standard cork gasket??

well boys i just had a problem with the three piece gasket on my 400 and maroso pan put it up as all ways, silicone bottom and top of rear and cover gasket and after just a few minutes running she went to dripping in the back .i thought it was cam plug at first .pulled trans and that looked good then pulled pan and rear main. the main was in right and looked good so i just got another gasket set out and replaced the oil pan ends again and so for so good.compression is down on this motor and checked evac system and its pulling so i guess it was just bad gaskets

alan , gadsden ala. 66 chevelle bracket car best 6.95 in 1/8th big block now 67 nova bracket car best 6.739 in 1/8th 1.429 60ft at 100.45mph 400 sb
JUNK YARD DOG is offline  
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 06, 1:12 PM
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: south bend, indiana
Posts: 192
Re: Felpro one piece gasket or standard cork gasket??

A couple years ago when I worked at my last job I went to my bosses house to pick up a tool I borrowed him. He's into circle track racing and the motor wasn't in the car. I was looking at it and it appeared that the machine shop that put it together used rtv or some type of blue silicone around the whole pan instead of a gasket. I remember it being thick and a blue color. This was a small block chevy and I have never seen this done before and have a hard time believing it wouldnt leak. He didnt know what they used and said it doesnt leak. Has anybody else seen this or heard of this before? Kevin
kev574 is offline  
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 06, 1:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mendocino County, Northern CA
Posts: 12,944
Re: Felpro one piece gasket or standard cork gasket??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWHEATON View Post
When i bought my felpro 1pc pan gasket back in 2001 there were no inst with it stating what to trq the pan bolts too.

I went to the Felpro website and contacted their tech dept and long story short was the GM stock pan bolt trq was 2x higher then what felpro recommends for the 1 pc rubber gasket.

I think that many people may be accidentially over tightening the 1 pc pan gasket by a factor of 2x which will distort it and cause leakes.

I then asked why doesn''t felpro include a slip of paper with the 1pc gasket stating the greatly reduced trq requirement for the pan bolts or installe torque limiting metal sleves in nthe bolt holes to prevent over tightening and the ans i got was i dont know why and its not my dept resp.

Great cutomer concern/service there becasue i feel that over tightening of the gasket by a factor of 2x is very likely causing the failures IMHO and the felpro rep didnt seem to give a rats butt about it.

My felpro BBC 1 pc gasket has been on the motor since 2001,3k miles,with new stock pan and noleaks thus far.

But,after each summer season there is a slight seepage that is just enough to pick up some dirt on the drivers side t/cover to pan interface and it looks a little dirty which wipes off easily there but no drips onder motor at all.

Scott
=
As I said, I have used a number of the 1pc gaskets with no issues.
As for overtightening these, considering they have a steel insert at each bolt it is pretty hard to do
I have had two in a row with the same issue, both with aftermarket pans of different manufacturer.
Two issues is enough for me, I will stay with something I have never had an issue with & that is the FelPro Hi Performance 4pc gasket.

Or in the case of some pans especially for circle track, no gasket at all but don't try this with the cheesy stock or aftermarket stamped metal pans,,,,

kev454,
Yes, I do this with quality fabricated pans like Stef's all the time. In most cases they don't recommend using a gasket, just silicone.
I use the "Right Stuff' by Permatex & the only issue is when it comes time to take the damn pan off,,,, you need a crowbar
Actually you need a sharp knife, not a crowbar but it is that hard to get off.
fr8dog likes this.

Mike (Wolfplace)
VISIT US AT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
++Complete Machine shop & Dyno services++
================================
Welcome to the internet,,, "Experts" made daily
===
"Life is tough.,, Life is even tougher if you're stupid."
----John Wayne----


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wolfplace is offline  
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 06, 2:23 PM
Team Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 11,306
Smile Re: Felpro one piece gasket or standard cork gasket??

My felpro 1pc gasket i used back in 2001 for my BBC DID NOT HAVE the trq limiting metal sleeves.

I guess from what Mike said Felpro includes the trq limiting sleeves on todays 1pc bbc pan gaskets but not back in 2001 on one of the earlier ones i had. That was why i called felpro in the 1st place because i saw no trq limiting sleeves and there was no info with gasket concerning what the trq was for the pan bolts which turned out be 1/2 the trq of what the stock gaskets used. When i had tightened the gasket to stock spec it started to squeez the gasket out which i knew was wrong and i suspected that newly designed 1 pc rubber gasket required a lower tighteing spec which felpro did not supply with the gasket which is what pushed me to call the Felpro gasket division engineers to get the correct spec.

Mike,does Felpro include any torques specs with todays 1 pc bbc pan gasket and if yes what is it or do they just rely on the trq limiting metal sleeves to keep thinks in check?

Scott

SCOTT
1969 CHEVELLE SS396,ORIGINAL #'S MATCH,GOT IN 1978,(In 2001 rblt/bored original 396 .030 to 402)/M20/12BOLT/3:31'S
2002 MAXIMA (DAILY DRIVER/1 owner,GOT 3/2013 w-44k miles)
2009 HD ELECTRAGLIDE CLASSIC ULTRA (GOT 11/14 W-9,700 miles)
SWHEATON is offline  
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 06, 4:19 PM
540 RAT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Felpro one piece gasket or standard cork gasket??

Ron 454, you said:
BTW Mike...I hear I turned another buddy to the AFR dark side through little Mike. Not to worry though, they will be going on a 4000 lb 55 Chev TANK......but I bet it will go mid tens now.......

Many people call Tri-Fives big heavy tanks, but I weighed my 57 Chevy BelAir on a certified scale, and it weighed 3570 lbs with a full a tank of gas. When weighed, it was virtually stock. Makes me wonder what people do to make them weigh so much. Even an all iron rat motor wouldn't add another 500 lbs.
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 06, 7:20 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 706
Re: Felpro one piece gasket or standard cork gasket??

last couple times I've used the 4 peice fel-pros, blue ones, with peel and stick rails. They work good.
JimM is offline  
post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 06, 10:13 PM
Senior Tech Team
Royce
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Vacaville, California
Posts: 1,797
Re: Felpro one piece gasket or standard cork gasket??

I like the Detroit (if I remember right) black rubber one piece gasket better that the Fel-pro. I have used several of both and had good luck with both. The Detroit gasket is a lot softer and way more flexible. They are cheaper and have limiting sleeves as well. I think the one on my car now is a Fel-Pro though.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Short Video w/sound Blown SBC 1961 Skylark, Borla mufflers and 3 1/2" exhaust.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
camaroman7d is offline  
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 06, 10:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Trey
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: springfield,mo.
Posts: 1,008
Re: Felpro one piece gasket or standard cork gasket??

I have tryed 2 of the felpro 1 piece gaskets on my bb and they both have leaked.
crankitup is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anybody ever use a Corteco one piece Oil pan Gasket? ChevroletR 2004 0 Jun 17th, 04 10:53 AM
My 2nd One Piece Oil Pan Gasket is Leaking Again!??? Help! ChevroletR 2004 13 Jun 4th, 04 5:23 PM
Standard deck height and gasket thickness Junkyard Dawg 2004 3 May 7th, 04 3:03 PM
one piece oil pan gasket 67ragtp 2004 16 Feb 6th, 04 7:04 PM
BB one piece oil pan gasket? ETD66SS 1999 -- 6 Apr 23rd, 99 7:39 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome