My original posting (you can't add to an old post
Well, it has been a while. Soooo much stuff has been going on, but PIMA is back together. Just a little recap:
I wanted to use it for my son's wedding, but wouldn't start when the ring gear on the flywheel lost some teeth. Then I decided to pull the engine to add some much needed crankcase ventilation holes in the heads while the trans was out. I dismantled the engine, and when I pulled the lifters, #1 exhaust lifter was stuck in the bore. I took the short block to a local engine builder, and after much deliberation, I decided to bore the block for .903 diameter Morel lifters. The engine builder wanted to look at my heads, so I took them to him. He was really surprised that the AFR's head quality was that poor. Anyway, he cleaned the ports to remove all the casting flash, found 4 bad valves, 2 weak springs, and reground the valves. I also got those poor fitting Hedman headers replaced with 2-1/8" primary 3-1/2 collector Lemon's headers. I only had to lift the engine a little on the driver's side to install the header, but that passenger side was a bugger to put on. The Quicktime bell housing, winged oil pan, and the lower A-arm bracket made the installation a challenge, but we got it installed after several hours. Once installed they do fit well. I can see my plugs! I cut the old collector extensions off and welded the new ones on. Good to go, eh!?!?!?
"HAHAHA...NOT SO FAST", PIMA said. She fired up pretty well the first few times, but then she failed to idle, stalled several times, and was very hard to restart. NOW WHAT!!!! I tried several things, but then I noticed that the Idle Air Control was at 30% and should be less than 10%. I opened the throttle blades a quarter of a turn, reset the Throttle Position Sensor, and she purred like a kitten. (Okay the purring is the noisy Morel lifters) Now she runs fine and starts fine. The lifters are noisy, but they are quieting down a little. I'll probably adjust the lifters again on Monday and give them 3/4 turn instead of 1/2 turn.
I also have to get her scheduled in to the paint shop to get the hood and front header panel repainted. The paint bubbled and cracked, and a new hood was cheaper than getting the old one blasted and reworked.
A short video of her running. The shop is dirty along with PIMA, but they will both clean up fine...later.