Poly lock issue - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 9:33 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tyler

Poly lock issue

Can one of you explain why this is happening?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C42269A8-DB03-4283-80EA-2C4823CB311B_1594474273692.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	632654   Click image for larger version

Name:	0B0BE763-D0BC-4243-B90B-DFF789166205_1594474376203.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	632656  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 1:29 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Re: Poly lock issue

How about a picture of the cylinder head with the polylocks on it ? Is the valve lash correct ? Almost looks like the rocker arm has been bouncing up and down and hitting the polylock ????

More details would help to. What engine ? Cam ? Spring pressures ?

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 4:58 PM
Tech Team
Eric

Installed with the round side of the roller bearing trunnion facing up, instead of down??

Someone on another board posted a lock that looked identical to that and he had put the roller trunnion on the stud upside down, so the poly lock wasn't on it's flat seat and was up against a curve surface....It looked just like that and had polluted the bearings in that rocker enough to make it stiff. to rotate.

Cheap grade of nuts without the proper hardening would be another possibility.

Look familiar?

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 5:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericnova72 View Post
.....Cheap grade of nuts without the proper hardening would be another possibility.
That's what I was thinking too. I only use ARP brand for that reason.

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 6:22 PM
Senior Tech Team
Kerry

If you have the trunions facing the correct way, side with the recess/flat surface up, then get a new set of knows quality locks. ARP.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 20, 6:32 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tyler

Thanks guys, yes they are correct with the flat surface up. These are a couple pictures I took just before it went in. Ironically it is right there (#2) that looks the worst. The studs should certainly be a little longer with less threaded area but anyway these are the pictures I have, didn’t take any of the assembly before I tore it apart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FD19FE71-E9B4-4DBF-86A7-0711D6B3BB7E_1594549621235.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	632712   Click image for larger version

Name:	5656AA0E-8DF1-457B-98EB-A9DE546A23D1_1594549645605.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	632714  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 20, 6:39 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tyler

If memory serves open pressure is right about 320 pounds. Rpm performer cam, solid lifters. I had the lash set at .014 int/.016ex cold.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 20, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chebell View Post
If memory serves open pressure is right about 320 pounds. Rpm performer cam, solid lifters. I had the lash set at .014 int/.016ex cold.
I thought the Edebrock performer rpm cam was a hyd cam? Damage may be due to using solid lifters on a hyd cam

77 camaro,
400 build-up in progress
400 0.030 over, AFR 195 heads 68cc chambers, SRP 16cc dish pistons, Scat I-Beam rods 7/16 bolts, Scat 9000 cast crank, Crane 296 hyd roller cam, hooker 1 3/4 headers, Holley 750, Richmond 4.10:1 gears
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 20, 7:15 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tyler

Yes, it is a hydraulic cam and I have solid lifters on it. If you have been seeing any of my posts you’ll see that I’ve had one hell of a time with Lunati cams......so long story short, after all the carnage, what I had laying around was this cam that was never ran and a new set of solid lifters. It was explained to me, and please correct the story if it’s wrong, that you can run solid lifters on a hydraulic cam but not so much the other way around due to the ramp profile. Just one issue would be a lash spec not being out there so I’ve been playing with that. I figured at this point I’ve spent so much it was worth a shot, if it blows apart I’ll just start over and go a totally different direction.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 20, 7:18 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

It looks like the rocker arm is touching the top of the spring & retainer or maybe I just cant blow the pic up enough but could that cause issues ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 20, 7:28 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
It looks like the rocker arm is touching the top of the spring & retainer or maybe I just cant blow the pic up enough but could that cause issues ?
Good catch. Yes it does look that way. Makes me wonder about those rocker arms, as well as the valve spring diameter used.

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 20, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chebell View Post
Yes, it is a hydraulic cam and I have solid lifters on it. If you have been seeing any of my posts you’ll see that I’ve had one hell of a time with Lunati cams......so long story short, after all the carnage, what I had laying around was this cam that was never ran and a new set of solid lifters. It was explained to me, and please correct the story if it’s wrong, that you can run solid lifters on a hydraulic cam but not so much the other way around due to the ramp profile. Just one issue would be a lash spec not being out there so I’ve been playing with that. I figured at this point I’ve spent so much it was worth a shot, if it blows apart I’ll just start over and go a totally different direction.
I thought that is only for using solid rollers on a hyd roller cam but I could be wrong

77 camaro,
400 build-up in progress
400 0.030 over, AFR 195 heads 68cc chambers, SRP 16cc dish pistons, Scat I-Beam rods 7/16 bolts, Scat 9000 cast crank, Crane 296 hyd roller cam, hooker 1 3/4 headers, Holley 750, Richmond 4.10:1 gears
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 20, 7:38 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

I thought the same, solid rollers on hyd. roller cams, my engine builder (mach. work & rotating ass. only) wanted to do that with mine.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 20, 8:04 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tyler

No evidence of spring/rocker interference. I made sure to get the correct rockers so that wouldn’t happen, I’ve looked close and don’t see any witness marks. Maybe I got the solid/hydraulic thing backwards. What would have a slower “take up” ramp? I suppose it could be “pounding” them up as opposed to “pushing” them up.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 20, 9:19 AM
Tech Team

I think when running solids on a hydraulic cam you typically run tight lash, like 0.006”-0.008” hot. If the rocker trunnion doesn’t have enough engagement on the shank or the stud it might be dancing around a bit.
71350SS likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in