Team Chevelle banner

Water Pump

2K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Geo71 
#1 ·
What mechanical aluminum water pump is the best for a street car?

#3 ·
Brain, are you using the short or long style for the BBC?

Do you like it?

My car is just a street car and the Weiand price is reasonable.

#6 ·
I like the Edelbrock high flow WP but I don't like the price,the Weiand pump might be close to the Edelbrock.If money isn't a problem go with the E-brock.

#8 ·
I went with the Edelbrock high flow and it was leaking out of the weep hole brand new. I called Edelbrock service and they wanted me to send the pump to them so they could repair it.

I would've been happy to exchange it for a new one. Not happy to spend full amount, plus shipping and who knows when I would get it back, for a rebuilt pump.

I went with a wieand. I like it so far.

#9 ·
#17 ·
540HP 433" BBC in 1969 GM Abody using a long style Stewart Components water pump

160 Thermostat
Aluminum 2 row Rad
1- 16" Spal Electric fan (2000 cfm) , and 1 -10" electric fan, both on a 180 therm on 165 off (dont even have a shroud on these)
Water wetter with 50/50 mix coolant

Car never sees much over 180 sitting in traffic..... driving around even on a hot day, mostly rides on the thermostat. Might move to a 170 thermostat

I have always hated having a overheating issue, I like to drive my cars without worrying about overheating.

#18 ·
Bought a used Edelbrock pump several years ago, used for $50 been good so far.

#19 ·
Edelbrock if you can afford it. I have had a chinese low $ waterpump on my 489 since 2007 since the backordered stewart never came. Works perfect. 178 deg in the head/157 in the intake. Bought a Edelbrock to replace it with when it failed but so far no need.

#20 ·
Stock aluminum on mine...

Weiand high flow whatever aluminum on the 388 worked fine...they are water pumps...:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.