Performance Our High Performance area

36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 7:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jerry

Garage
Brodix 4.5 bore block flaw

I bought one of these to build a 540 new from Summit. The block has a casting flaw where the center main cap meets the block skirt (one side only). The casting flaw is a lack of material that is needed to pinch the cap tightly into the block. All the other main cap areas are as they should be without any missing material. Brodix says it's ok to use but my engine builder won't do it. What would you do? I'm still dealing with this but I'm feeling like Brodix won't take it back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 7:31 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bill

Garage
Re: Brodix 4.5 bore block flaw

I can see both sides of that argument but I side with you. I doubt it would be a problem but you should not have to invest all of that money to find out. They should take it back. Did you buy it from Brodix or a vendor? Is it aluminum or iron? Is the casting void near the threaded hole?
540 Olds likes this.

1969 Sport Coupe SS Tribute Cortez Silver 454 400TH
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 7:48 PM
Tech Team
Bob

don't see the problem, send it back-if they won't take it back reverse the credit card charge
Steve R, WHT/73 and 69SS454 like this.

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 8:06 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

Can you post a pic
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 9:16 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Roamer View Post
I bought one of these to build a 540 new from Summit. The block has a casting flaw where the center main cap meets the block skirt (one side only). The casting flaw is a lack of material that is needed to pinch the cap tightly into the block. All the other main cap areas are as they should be without any missing material. Brodix says it's ok to use but my engine builder won't do it. What would you do? I'm still dealing with this but I'm feeling like Brodix won't take it back.
I would call Brodix, they are extremally nice to deal with. It might surprise you at what they have to say about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 9:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jerry

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SS454 View Post
I can see both sides of that argument but I side with you. I doubt it would be a problem but you should not have to invest all of that money to find out. They should take it back. Did you buy it from Brodix or a vendor? Is it aluminum or iron? Is the casting void near the threaded hole?
I bought it from Summit, it's Iron and no it's not near the bolt.

post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 9:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jerry

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbcbob View Post
don't see the problem, send it back-if they won't take it back reverse the credit card charge
Not sure if I can do that since I used my Summit credit card. I bought it from Summit but it came from Brodix. Summit told me I needed to take it up with Brodix which I did. Brodix said I had to deal with Summit since I purchased it from them. Summit is giving me a runaround so far (5 days later). I'd rather hang onto it until this is sorted out. Seems crazy to me.

post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 9:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jerry

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Chevele View Post
I would call Brodix, they are extremally nice to deal with. It might surprise you at what they have to say about it.
They were very nice, but they told me all of the blocks were that way and to use it. When I told him (Jeff B) that I wanted to return it he said I had to get Summit to take it back. Summit (so far) keeps pushing me farther up the ladder of management but I seem to have hit a wall. It's frustrating.

I would use it but I keep imagining 7000 rpm down the track and boom! There's a chance I could loose my car, my life, the guys life next to me and least but still worth mentioning, all the money I'm about to attach to said bare block.

post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 10:00 PM
Senior Tech Team

From this point going forward communicate with both of them via email if you haven’t been doing so already. Send each of them an email with a picture of the flaw telling them your machine shop is refusing to use it.

If you have to challenge the charge and have it reversed. If Summit doesn’t like it, who cares, they take other credit cards and they aren’t the only supplier out there.

Good luck.

Steve R
Road Roamer likes this.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 10:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

So if the block skirting isn’t going to hold it or index the main cap, what will? Does it have dowels on the main caps?

1968 Beaumont
540 BBC + 15psi Boost via Single Garrett GTX
Stock looking, and fairly stock sounding
HP and ET not determined yet!

Boosted Beaumont Build:

post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 11:36 PM
Senior Tech Team

Jerry, can we see some pics?

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 20, 1:20 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jerry

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul bell View Post
Jerry, can we see some pics?
I don't have a picture hosting acct.

post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 20, 1:23 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jerry

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFast Beaumont View Post
So if the block skirting isn’t going to hold it or index the main cap, what will? Does it have dowels on the main caps?
No dowels. The block area has minimal material there. It's enough to hold the cap where it should be, but I worry that it may fail under significant load (Torque/RPM harmonics).

post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 20, 2:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Roamer View Post
I don't have a picture hosting acct.
Do you have a desktop PC? If so, you can download the pics via USB port to your desktop, (that's what I do) and post the pics here directly from your desktop. You just open the window to post here in this thread as usual, and scroll down the page where you'll see a blue button labeled "Manage attachments" and click that. Another window then pops up which has five rows of white buttons that each say "choose file". You just click onto one at a time, and it will bring you to your pictures folders in your desktop PC. Then you click on the pic and then click on the button at the bottom of that window that says "open" then you can choose more pics by clicking on the next "choose file" button if you want to post another picture. Once you're done, you click on the "upload" button, wait, and then click on the "close this window" at the top of the of the pop up window.
71350SS, Road Roamer and flht01 like this.

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 20, 6:23 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bill

Garage

Click and drag a pic to "Drag and Drop File Upload" box below the reply box.
Road Roamer likes this.

1969 Sport Coupe SS Tribute Cortez Silver 454 400TH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in