Down goes another Lunati - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 6:40 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tyler

Down goes another Lunati

Well, all done with Lunati. Really wanted to make it work but they are really draining my wallet and my patience. Second one lasted about five minutes. Talked to Lunati and sent them a bunch of info and pictures but haven’t heard back from them yet. Putting the Edelbrock back in so I can at least drive the damn thing before it snows again. What really pisses me off is that the Edelbrock broke in very nicely WITHOUT having to baby a thing both Lunati’s came apart even treating them like fine china. And yes, in the future everything will be full roller, that would have been WAY cheaper in the long run. The ONLY possible thing it could be at this point is spring pressure, but the Edelbrock handled it just fine and the Lunati acts like it was built out of soft lead. What does this say about the long term durability of the Lunati?!? Anyway, we’ll see if Lunati will be willing to work with me or not but at this point I’m just plain ticked off at their stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A10B0BC9-1027-46A1-A697-339C253E4BA5_1593772748066.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	631906  
427L88 and hydro462 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 7:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Re: Down goes another Lunati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chebell View Post
Well, all done with Lunati. Really wanted to make it work but they are really draining my wallet and my patience. Second one lasted about five minutes. Talked to Lunati and sent them a bunch of info and pictures but haven’t heard back from them yet. Putting the Edelbrock back in so I can at least drive the damn thing before it snows again. What really pisses me off is that the Edelbrock broke in very nicely WITHOUT having to baby a thing both Lunati’s came apart even treating them like fine china. And yes, in the future everything will be full roller, that would have been WAY cheaper in the long run. The ONLY possible thing it could be at this point is spring pressure, but the Edelbrock handled it just fine and the Lunati acts like it was built out of soft lead. What does this say about the long term durability of the Lunati?!? Anyway, we’ll see if Lunati will be willing to work with me or not but at this point I’m just plain ticked off at their stuff.
Cam failure? There site does say ground in the USA, but when I asked a tech there the other day he said they came from Morel.

67 chevelle malibu / SS/ custom

Currently undergoing a metal work to remove all rust, if I ever get there.

Cant decide on prostreet or cruiser with a 4 speed.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 8:41 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tyler

Yes, cam failure. When I talked to them they said there are only two that still make flat tappet blanks then the different companies go from there. There is clearly a difference in heat treat or something. I used brand new Lunati lifters on all three cams and the Edelbrock looks perfect, the Lunati’s were trash in no time. Spending a ton of money at the machine shop because of junk parts!!

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 8:58 AM
Team Member
Gene

That sucks Tyler. I;m not a huge roller fan, but I also reckon that my 25+ yr old solid cam is simply good metal, and today's well....I;d only use Crower and Isky anymore myself on flat tappets, or custom.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 9:05 AM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

Talked to a guy last week that had his Lunati 460 Ford cam go south after 45 minutes.
What I found out from him was he used Diesel oil with the Additive recommended by lunati and did put assembly lube on the lifters, molly lube.

But his spring pressure open was 345.
You must not put that molly cam lube on the side of the lifter ..I have no idea if he did that or not.

I use Driven Break In oil and no additives and keep open pressures under 300.
I have used Crower cam saver lifters on all my hydraulic flat tappet cams and have used Molly paste and have used
Driven assembly lube and no issues.
Oil goes on the side of the lifter body.

I wonder if the Lunati lifter is slightly larger diameter than an Edelbrock lifter.
Get molly or other thick lube on the side of a tight lifter and it may not spin well.

I do not know as I have not tested that aspect.. just something that crosses my mind.

I had a friend install his own disc brake pads and got the Lube for the pins and read it and it said to put on all moving parts.
He greased his pads and rotors and not the pins.
Stopped fine.
Not the way to use the lube though.
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 9:18 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tyler

I used the molly on the lobes only, assembly lube on the bearing surface and soaked the lifters in oil. Primed, primed and primed again. I went way above compared to what i did for the Edelbrock and it shows zero issues.
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 9:24 AM
Team Member
Gene

PS, with 135/370 open, I ran the cam in (twice) on outers only. I'd never run 345 open on flat tappet break-in. Never.
hydro462 likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tyler

I’m sure it has to do with spring pressure, there nothing else it could be other than junk steel. I’m just in disbelief that there is such a massive difference between the two manufacturers........all other things being equal.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tyler

I would certainly run it in twice too........but the damn things won’t make it 1/3 of the way the through the first run in. It’s all good, getting to know every nook and cranny of my engine parts anyway.
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 10:59 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Maybe rolling the engine over and over and over to get oil up top is washing the lube off the lobes too?
Plus spring pressure.
71350SS likes this.

73 nova,3515#(all steel)Pump gas!(91octane)406ci N/A, best 1/4,1.45 '60,[email protected],10.6 @ 122.38, short shifting,NO tuning!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tyler

I only rolled it over to set the lash, and I was very careful to only roll it as much as absolutely needed for that purpose. I primed it with and old dissembled distributor and a drill motor.
WHT/73 likes this.
post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 12:31 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

What cam was it ? Just curious.

Chris Straub would know for sure but I am fairly sure there are only one or two suppliers of cores.

As near as I have been able to tell Edelbrocks cams are just "generic" grinds that are the same as a lot of other companies mild cams. Not sure who actually makes them.
Steve R likes this.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 1:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

If my memory is any good, I think you need to ask for a P-55 cam core, which are in limited supply. Chris said that when OEM stopped using FT cams, the quality stopped too.

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE THE POWER..... AND IF YOU USE THAT POWER BAD THINGS ARE GOING TO HAPPEN!!

Mike Lewis street 572

Cale Aronson
Black Magic clutches

Cam by UDHarold
Menscer Motorsports

TRZ

CEAutoelectric

post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 1:57 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chebell View Post
The lifter in the picture has not been rotating. The cam lobe path can be clearly seen in your picture. Was there a burr in the block that could have kept the lifter from rotating? If the lifter cannot spin it will wear out very fast just like your picture. A lifter that rotates and wears out is concave evenly. Yours shows a lobe track. I would get a dingleberry hone and run through the lifter bores and make sure all the lifters spin freely.
WHT/73 likes this.
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tyler

I made sure they were all spinning, so they were to start with anyway. I pulled a couple that do have a perfect little “bowl” in them. These are the two cams that failed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0CA56267-A39F-4747-8770-0747FFB40AFC_1593831211308.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	631962   Click image for larger version

Name:	2F6D2DCD-894A-410E-8CAE-4BF7C66EBBFD_1593831290319.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	631964  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in