Hydraulic Roller Lifter Quality.... - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 1:13 PM Thread Starter
Greg

Hydraulic Roller Lifter Quality....

You probably saw the Hot Rod Garage show where they ran solid roller lifters on a hydraulic roller cam to see how it worked out (good, but reliability questions remain). Anyhow, the show could double as an ad for Crane hydraulic roller lifters... the Dyno guy at West Tech kept saying that their are lots of crappy hyd. roller lifters out there, but the Crane units are stable to 7000 and even 8000 RPM. My question is, whose lifters suck? I am thinking about buying a Comp kit that makes power to well over 6,500 and it would be good to know if lifter issues are going to let it down at high revs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 1:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage
Re: Hydraulic Roller Lifter Quality....

If you plan a cam that will rev past 6500 get it on billet core with cast gear option(comp can do that) get their short travel lifter(if you stay with comp) they can handle more spring pressure and run a spring with some pressure especially of its a BB, lightweight retainers may also be a good idea. Either titanium or tool steel.

Any more info about your build?
BB sb? Size? Heads? Etc.
bradley67 likes this.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4 wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlympia View Post
You probably saw the Hot Rod Garage show where they ran solid roller lifters on a hydraulic roller cam to see how it worked out (good, but reliability questions remain). Anyhow, the show could double as an ad for Crane hydraulic roller lifters... the Dyno guy at West Tech kept saying that their are lots of crappy hyd. roller lifters out there, but the Crane units are stable to 7000 and even 8000 RPM. My question is, whose lifters suck? I am thinking about buying a Comp kit that makes power to well over 6,500 and it would be good to know if lifter issues are going to let it down at high revs.
For my 400 build-up that I still have not finished I have a Crane 296 Billet hyd roller cam with cast gear and Crane retrofit hyd roller lifters. I bought them back in 2004, I see that the part number I bought is now $800, I think I paid $299 for them back in 2004. Crane has been claiming for years that their lifters are good to 7000rpm+. I am interested to see what the members here have to say about them.

77 camaro,
400 build-up in progress
400 0.030 over, AFR 195 heads 68cc chambers, SRP 16cc dish pistons, Scat I-Beam rods 7/16 bolts, Scat 9000 cast crank, Crane 296 hyd roller cam, hooker 1 3/4 headers, Holley 750, Richmond 4.10:1 gears

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 1:57 PM
Senior Tech Team

I've been running the Crane retrofit hydraulic lifters for about 7k miles and 6 years in a 355. No noise and no problems. Like mentioned above, I think they were ~$400 or so when I bought them, but that was right around the time Crane was going through / recovering from Bankruptcy. Looks like the price has doubled! Yikes!

EDIT: I should also add that my engine doesn't spin above 6k rpm, so I can't vouch for how they work at higher speeds.
400sbc likes this.
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 2:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Crane did some testing 10+years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1ABB5E86-37CC-4C87-820D-7D9168E5CDB6.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	631818   Click image for larger version

Name:	578B1C7F-D6D0-457F-AD65-787BCCDBF9E1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	631820  
400sbc likes this.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 6:57 PM Thread Starter
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu ss 64 View Post
If you plan a cam that will rev past 6500 get it on billet core with cast gear option(comp can do that) get their short travel lifter(if you stay with comp) they can handle more spring pressure and run a spring with some pressure especially of its a BB, lightweight retainers may also be a good idea. Either titanium or tool steel.

Any more info about your build?
BB sb? Size? Heads? Etc.
Small block 350 CI, Summit Cast Iron 2.02 semi-Voretc heads, Performer RPM, Holley 650, 1&5/8 long tube headers, 2.5" exhaust. Looking at Comp Extreme Energy 230/236 cam/lifter/valve spring kit.
6500 RPM will be pretty much be my practical redline, as I am running a cast component block until it breaks but you never know...
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 7:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

They look to be more expensive than Johnsons/Isky. Who makes them?

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 cruiser View Post
They look to be more expensive than Johnsons/Isky. Who makes them?
The retrofit vertical locking bar lifters are machined from 8620 steel billet, heat treated,
and assembled at our own facilities.
Precision fit plunger assemblies are used to provide
proper bleed-down rates, permitting high RPM use in properly set-up engines. The
additional inherent strength of the 8620 material also maintains greater stability in the
lifter body, permitting more consistent operation in very high spring pressure and high
RPM applications, by keeping the plunger to body clearance consistent throughout the
operation range. Retrofit lifters also utilize our latest Monel pin and retaining flange
assembly to attach the guidebar, providing superior long term durability

Above taken from Page 168 of the Crane catalog. It seems like Crane makes their own hyd roller lifters
77 cruiser likes this.

77 camaro,
400 build-up in progress
400 0.030 over, AFR 195 heads 68cc chambers, SRP 16cc dish pistons, Scat I-Beam rods 7/16 bolts, Scat 9000 cast crank, Crane 296 hyd roller cam, hooker 1 3/4 headers, Holley 750, Richmond 4.10:1 gears
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 8:59 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Mercruiser used Crane valve train components in their higher output Big Blocks for years and they seemed pretty bulletproof but they rarely are turned to even 6000 rpm. But they will run for hours at a time at cruising rpms. I dont know who is making their stuff now days.

That being said I think if I was building anything that was going to be regularly turned 6500 rpm or more I would have to go with a solid roller. Maybe if you were building a small block with very light components but that would even be iffy in my opinion. I think it is pushing the limits on the hydraulics.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 9:54 PM Thread Starter
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Mercruiser used Crane valve train components in their higher output Big Blocks for years and they seemed pretty bulletproof but they rarely are turned to even 6000 rpm. But they will run for hours at a time at cruising rpms. I dont know who is making their stuff now days.

That being said I think if I was building anything that was going to be regularly turned 6500 rpm or more I would have to go with a solid roller. Maybe if you were building a small block with very light components but that would even be iffy in my opinion. I think it is pushing the limits on the hydraulics.
Yeah I tend to agree, this is right at the limit of hydraulic roller territory. My trips to the 6500 zone will be pretty infrequent, this will be my general purpose parts getter rig. I am saving my stupid money for the big block car project that I am gathering parts for...
post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 11:12 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

IIRC, Crane was one of the few After Market companies who made/was good enough to make parts for the OEM.

For example, the ZZ383 cam is actually made by Crane....or was at one point.

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 2:18 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlympia View Post
Small block 350 CI, Summit Cast Iron 2.02 semi-Voretc heads, Performer RPM, Holley 650, 1&5/8 long tube headers, 2.5" exhaust. Looking at Comp Extreme Energy 230/236 cam/lifter/valve spring kit.
6500 RPM will be pretty much be my practical redline, as I am running a cast component block until it breaks but you never know...
Not superradical.
Use Comp std lifter if you decide to use comp. But imho get the cam on billet core with cast gear and use the springs with most pressure if they recomend different for the cam you decide to use. 150 seat and 400 open should work imho on a sb.
If you think you will rev it hard lighten up valvetrain with toolsteel or titanium retainers.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 9:43 AM
Tech Team

It is a bit more involved then just what rpm the lifters will do. Cam lobe spring valves all play a part. My guys can get the gm delphi hydraulic roller lifters to live at 8000 rpm in the right engine. So it has some with lifters but also rest of combo.

RH
bradley67 likes this.
post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 2:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Todd

My personal experiences with Comp hydraulic lifters roller or flat has not be good. I will never use them again.
Mike 70SS likes this.

1970 Chevelle SS 396 (491 now) 4spd
1969 Nova 496 Turbo 400 Dana 60
post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 3:35 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Use whatever.

I had crane, morel and GM. Morel currently. No real noticeable difference. If The engine ever comes apart again I’ll run GM lifters again since my block has that option.

*69 SS 502 EFI /224-228* HR/9.8:1/T56/3.90/ 4000lbs RW 11.5/124mph -with a "top fuel" timing curve
*2011 Mustang GT premium
*61" Scag Kohler 22hp 7mph
*2019 Honda XR650 Dual sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in