LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 20, 5:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jarad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pockets View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoggs View Post
I'll let you know how long the DBR's last, with the sidewall and the wear indicators, I'm thinking it won't be a long life tire.

Far as fuel system, no, it's exactly the same as the previous years. Ignition and some wiring do have some updates. I went to a Moroso Crank Trigger. Believe it's gaped at .060 (I'll re-verify). I did re-phase the rotor too. Checked timing 3 or so different occasions. Also the plugs have a lot of runs on them. I could drop a new set in? Do you think it would be more likely ignition?
Could be as simple as plugs. Gap at .040"-.045"?
I think .030. I'm going to check it all out this weekend. I'd love to fix the thing without a lot money. Might go ahead and put new plugs in it to be safe.

72 Slovelle
555 Pump Gas BBC
Best so far:
5.87-118.52 MPH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 20, 8:03 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Radial Testing Tires Moving and

I would try new plugs first. I did have one go bad on me once and it started popping. I would keep the gap .030-.035. The smallest gap you can use is the best. Keeps wear on the ignition parts down and prevents blowing the spark away at high rpm.
DragRacer, B433 and DragRac69 like this.

Ray

Best pass 8.87 at 150.98 1.212 60'. Sold 3/2018

1970 SS 396 project in progress. Bought 5/2018
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 8:36 AM
Tech Team
Dale

Quote:
I'll let you know how long the DBR's last, with the sidewall and the wear indicators, I'm thinking it won't be a long life tire.

Far as fuel system, no, it's exactly the same as the previous years. Ignition and some wiring do have some updates. I went to a Moroso Crank Trigger. Believe it's gaped at .060 (I'll re-verify). I did re-phase the rotor too. Checked timing 3 or so different occasions. Also the plugs have a lot of runs on them. I could drop a new set in? Do you think it would be more likely ignition?

Looking forward to your DBR results.

The breaking up sound like ignition to me. Do you have an old HEI to try? You could even prove it out on the street with a couple spirited runs.

66 Chevelle
1/8 mile
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1/4 mile
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Building more of a race car than driver but driving it more than I race. "simple old school shake, rattle & roll".

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 8:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jarad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracketchev1221 View Post
I would try new plugs first. I did have one go bad on me once and it started popping. I would keep the gap .030-.035. The smallest gap you can use is the best. Keeps wear on the ignition parts down and prevents blowing the spark away at high rpm.
I'm changing plugs and going over the ignition this weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
Quote:

Looking forward to your DBR results.

The breaking up sound like ignition to me. Do you have an old HEI to try? You could even prove it out on the street with a couple spirited runs.
I don't have an old HEI unfortunately. I have Futura 29" street tires mounted on some other wheels and was out a couple weeks ago. You can't go near the throttle without it getting stupid and I do not want to run the DBR's on the street. I'll test it at the track. Much safer area to do so.

72 Slovelle
555 Pump Gas BBC
Best so far:
5.87-118.52 MPH
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 8:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracketchev1221 View Post
Agree. Any time you have a slight miss, always do plugs first.

As another reference point I have run lows 6’s in the 1/8th with a Mallory Comp 140 Pump. 2 - 1000 HP carbs.

Jason Gore
AKA DragRacer
Naturally Aspriated 450 SBC - 915 HP / 714 lb-ft
3370 lbs
1.36 - 60', 5.93 @ 116.7 MPH - 1/8th
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 4:42 PM
Senior Tech Team

Is that Chevelle a P/G car. Looks pretty good going down the track. I just used a set of lightweight 30X9 radial slicks and Micky Thompson said DO NOT SCREW THEM DOWN, it will tear up the tire on the beads. I picked up a solid tenth and 1 mph with them.

post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 6:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jarad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Chevele View Post
Is that Chevelle a P/G car. Looks pretty good going down the track. I just used a set of lightweight 30X9 radial slicks and Micky Thompson said DO NOT SCREW THEM DOWN, it will tear up the tire on the beads. I picked up a solid tenth and 1 mph with them.
Thanks, it's definitely not a show car up close 🙂. It has a 1.80/1.0 PG.

72 Slovelle
555 Pump Gas BBC
Best so far:
5.87-118.52 MPH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in