post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 20, 10:03 AM
Tech Team
Steve

Re: Beef up a stock 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp930 View Post
Call Chris Straub.

^ This ^.

Cam selection can be overwhelming, and that's why you need to speak to a pro. Whether someone like Mark or a Cam maker's "Tech Line".
Your can selection will depend on your rpm range, and that range will depend upon your rear end gearing.
I personally like BBC low/midrange torque with a highway gear (like 3.31), but my experience is strictly with Muncie 4 speeds.
Now there is a variety of transmission options (manual or automatic) that have over overdrive gears. Many folks are able to stay with a lot of gear (4.10 for example) while running a tranny with overdrive - getting the best of both worlds.
Good luck

67 Chevelle SS:
original paint, M20, & 3:31 posi.
Unrestored, but dreaming of doing so
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 20, 11:02 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsukev View Post
Hey all, I’m looking to add a little more power and throttle response to my stock 454 in a 69 Chevelle. It has 2”inch aftermarket exhaust, but other than that, it’s all stock. What are some good additions for more power?
that 2 inch exhaust is choking your 454 you need to go to a 3 inch exhaust especially since you have a set of headers you want to install.
You may also want an H or an X crossover as it will increase the mid-range torque .

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 20, 11:35 AM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

Many people seeking performance fail to have their current setup tuned professionally by a local dyno shop. Best money you can spend in this hobby, IMHO.

BTW: a BBC should be fast with 2.73 or 3.08 rear gears. They make a LOT of torque in most configurations.

That said, I'd spend money on better exhaust/headers that not only match your current setup....but can be used without modification/additional cost on a 550-600 HP 468 with 781 or 049 heads, RPM intake, modest cam, etc.

Good luck!

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 20, 3:35 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_69_malibu View Post
Many people seeking performance fail to have their current setup tuned professionally by a local dyno shop. Best money you can spend in this hobby, IMHO.

BTW: a BBC should be fast with 2.73 or 3.08 rear gears. They make a LOT of torque in most configurations.

That said, I'd spend money on better exhaust/headers that not only match your current setup....but can be used without modification/additional cost on a 550-600 HP 468 with 781 or 049 heads, RPM intake, modest cam, etc.

Good luck!
What are your recommendations for exhaust, headers, and exhaust tubing?
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 20, 3:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsukev View Post
What are your recommendations for exhaust, headers, and exhaust tubing?
headers: summit part# SUM-G9010 fit like a glove
Flowmaster exhaust kit 17107 and pick whatever 2.5" offset inlet/offset outlet mufflers you want.
blue_69_malibu and BRN2RUN like this.

post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 20, 7:46 PM
Tech Team
Dan

I followed a lot of advice from guys here and I am more than happy!
First should be headers, Summit SUM-G9010
Your cam is a BIG limiting factor . I went with Comp XE 268 .
Those two things will make a WORLD of difference !
Edlebrock Performer 2-0
Holley 3310
HEI Distributor
The 3.31 gear choice will be fine .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	102_0510.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	631550  
blue_69_malibu likes this.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 20, 8:06 PM
Senior Tech Team
Kerry

First thing to do is the exhaust. 1.75"x3" headers and a 2.5" or 3" mandrel bent exhaust. 3" if in the future he is going to build a 500hp + engine. Good straight through mufflers like Dynomax Ultra Flow.

Performer rpm air gap intake, and for a carb pretty much any 750. If you are swapping to taller gears, a vacuum secondary holley based carb or 750 street demon. Have a look at the FST line of carbs for a holley based.

Then I would do a converter change to a tight 10" in the 2500 stall range, and tune the timing curve.

A cam change would be what I would do after all of the above.
blue_69_malibu likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in