53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 20, 8:38 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage
Re: Stock Vortec head 406 goes 11.60's

This build is fantastic.

I'm just curious what this would do in a street car and not (presumably) a sorted out race car/chassis.

The OP doesn't need to disclose anything. But this info is frequently shared/posted....so I asked.

It's a Free Country and admittedly, he doesn't need to tell me a damn thing if he doesn't want to.
Aaron likes this.

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 20, 8:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_69_malibu View Post
Is the MPH, rear-end gear, and converter still secret?
Nope no secret, the rear gear is 4.10, MPH was 114 and the converter is a Jeg's XHD 4100 stall. It's a touch loose but worked well and flash stalled to 4200. What the 30" tire test told me that the car is slightly over geared for this combo so I am thinking of putting 3.73's in the car. I have a lot of low dollar stuff to test but I will run out of time as I seem to do every year. This year it was the virus thingy. If the iar was the same as we has in April this year the car would be in the low 11.40'[email protected], I was happy with what it ran.
Aaron and blue_69_malibu like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 20, 8:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
MARK

I think the car is sorted out to some degree, because at the best case scenario were looking at 388 observed crankshaft HP. See it different now?

Machined GM production heads
Oil pan modifications
Red Line Camshaft

post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 20, 8:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_69_malibu View Post
This build is fantastic.

I'm just curious what this would do in a street car and not (presumably) a sorted out race car/chassis.

The OP doesn't need to disclose anything. But this info is frequently shared/posted....so I asked.

It's a Free Country and admittedly, he doesn't need to tell me a damn thing if he doesn't want to.
No it's pretty much a street car, I can still drive it as it still has an interior and all steel except for the hood. I am sure if the 406 was in a lighter chassis car it would be a lot quicker.
Aaron and blue_69_malibu like this.

post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 20, 8:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
MARK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Chevele View Post
Nope no secret, the rear gear is 4.10, MPH was 114 and the converter is a Jeg's XHD 4100 stall. It's a touch loose but worked well and flash stalled to 4200. What the 30" tire test told me that the car is slightly over geared for this combo so I am thinking of putting 3.73's in the car. I have a lot of low dollar stuff to test but I will run out of time as I seem to do every year. This year it was the virus thingy. If the iar was the same as we has in April this year the car would be in the low 11.40'[email protected], I was happy with what it ran.

No gear change IMO, you need a bigger intake valve in there so the power peak can be higher, I'm sure it needs more RPM with that combo. Nice work! What track? What RPM through the lights?
Aaron, CPMotorworks and 68Chevele like this.

Oil pan modifications
Red Line Camshaft
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 20, 8:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VORTECPRO View Post
I think the car is sorted out to some degree, because at the best case scenario were looking at 388 observed crankshaft HP. See it different now?
A few guys at the track think it makes 450 or better hp but since I don't test on the dyno I cannot say but you are probably petty close. For me it's tack only, if it does not work out well, you test something else. Cannot wait to re-test my 461 Peanut Port engine again with the set of 360 head I did a couple years ago. After seeing what your Chevelle did wit 236's Mark that's why I decided to give them a try.

post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 20, 8:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
MARK

I think there could be over 5 tenths in those heads, that were my focus would be, that would make one heck of a thread

Oil pan modifications
Red Line Camshaft
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 20, 8:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
I think there could be over 5 tenths in those heads, that were my focus would be, that would make one heck of a thread
May have to send you a set and have you work some magic on them.

post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 20, 8:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
WOW! You had the balls to use a 4 bolt 400 SBC? Big set you have there.

I have one of those two, but am even sacred to dump money into a street build on those things.
lol, wut? Big set? It's a 400 with a cam that'll be done before 6000 rpm. What's the big deal? The whole "2-bolt 400s are stronger than 4-bolt 400s" is such a lame argument, esp at this power level. It's a 3400lb car.

I'm guessing it probably trapped at 115-ish. That puts this thing at no more than 450hp. There are thousands of these kinds of engines around. There is nothing risky here.
edit: I didnt see the post above where he stated 114mph.

I love the build -- I have a set of fresh Vortecs in my garage already drilled for steam holes and a 4-bolt 400 waiting to receive them.

-Dave

'70 Chevelle ZZ383/700r4/3.73, [email protected] -- MS3X efi / Hotchkis A-arms & Springs / B-body 12" brakes / 1.25" F-body swaybar / UMI rears & swaybar / JGC PwrStrUpg
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 20, 8:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
MARK

Quote:
No it's pretty much a street car, I can still drive it as it still has an interior and all steel except for the hood. I am sure if the 406 was in a lighter chassis car it would be a lot quicker.

Can't be too bad

1320/114=11.57 The math always tells the story.
CPMotorworks likes this.

Oil pan modifications
Red Line Camshaft
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 20, 9:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
MARK

Quote:
May have to send you a set and have you work some magic on them.
You can do it: D As you know a good 400 can get on most BBCs, I'd rather run a 406 over my peanut port, I think its faster.

Oil pan modifications
Red Line Camshaft
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 20, 9:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevelleFan70 View Post
lol, wut? Big set? It's a 400 with a cam that'll be done before 6000 rpm. What's the big deal? The whole "2-bolt 400s are stronger than 4-bolt 400s" is such a lame argument, esp at this power level. It's a 3400lb car.

I'm guessing it probably trapped at 115-ish. That puts this thing at no more than 450hp. There are thousands of these kinds of engines around. There is nothing risky here.
edit: I didnt see the post above where he stated 114mph.

I love the build -- I have a set of fresh Vortecs in my garage already drilled for steam holes and a 4-bolt 400 waiting to receive them.

-Dave
Dave

My reference to that was just putting money into a 4 bolt 400. I come from a circle track background and everyone avoids them like COVID.

67 chevelle malibu / SS/ custom

Currently undergoing a metal work to remove all rust, if I ever get there.

Cant decide on prostreet or cruiser with a 4 speed.
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 20, 10:07 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

I've probably built hundreds of oval 406s, usually flattops with 64cc fuelie heads. 11:1 easy, needs race gas. Nothing at all wrong with those blocks. We ran them for decades as there was nothing else. Not much trouble with the mains, but lots of cracked decks. we got burnt out on the crack deal and ran them cracked. THis is Az where you're racing at 110*, there can be trouble with heating. learned to run a rigid 4 blade fan with a good shroud setup.
bradley67 likes this.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 20, 11:17 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Quote:
You can do it: D As you know a good 400 can get on most BBCs, I'd rather run a 406 over my peanut port, I think its faster.
I'd love to see a thread where you expand on this a bit.

-Dave
71350SS likes this.

'70 Chevelle ZZ383/700r4/3.73, [email protected] -- MS3X efi / Hotchkis A-arms & Springs / B-body 12" brakes / 1.25" F-body swaybar / UMI rears & swaybar / JGC PwrStrUpg
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 20, 12:20 PM
Tech Team
Pete

Garage

Quote:
Race car is a 3400 lbs Camaro. Bone stock heads wight down to the 1.94 intake and 1.5 exhaust valve. Just my own 3 angle seat valve job with all valves lapped in.

.030 400 flat top piston
Stock Vortec 906 heads, stock rockers and pressed in studs.
Elgin 1165p Hyd cam
GM Performance Dual plane intake
850 A/D Mighty Demon
1 5/8" Headers.
MSD 7AL2 and Billet Distributor.

Next set of heads are a set of 062's with some porting still stock valve size but were in the 250I/190E flow range @.550 lift. Goal is to see it this can go 11 flat with a 170cc runner heads.
Nice job. Built pretty much the same combination back in 2001. Car went a best of 11.55 @ 114.5 at the time with 3.73 and 28" tire. Lost a bit on the '60 swapping to a Super Vic and 4.10 gear, never had a chance to pull the heads and port them to try at the time.

https://youtu.be/_apAvp23fQA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
WOW! You had the balls to use a 4 bolt 400 SBC? Big set you have there.

I have one of those two, but am even sacred to dump money into a street build on those things.
Long before the internet told me that wasn't safe to do, my first build was a studded 4 bolt 406. Stock crank, 5.7 X rods, heavy TRW slugs, AFR 195 heads, Clay Smith SFT. Went 11.30 @ 118 NA in my 3660lb Chevelle, then put a 72 jet in the Cheater and it went 10.50 @ 127 on pump gas.

Quote:
Exactly. They make great torque, and peak on horsepower pretty quick. Customer decided he wanted to swap the cam I used for a "custom spec'd" Comp Cam and this is what it ended up with, pretty much what OP has.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130727_135420.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	629546  

CP Motorworks,Inc

Custom Performance Engines &
Cylinder Head Fixtures for Vertical Mills and Surfacing Machines

1971 Chevelle 406- Mine
1970 Chevelle 496- 10.2:1, 781 ovals, 3.31, 275/60 DR 3800lbs, [email protected] on 91 octane - Hers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in