Assist Getting BBC Running I can't think it through - Page 7 - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

253Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #91 of 123 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 1:07 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Re: Assist Getting BBC Running I can't think it through

I've been glued to this thread since it started....I'm dying to find out the results...

72 SS 402/4 speed/Straub roller and a bunch of Duramaxes.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 123 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 3:03 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

Problem solved !!!
This site is full of knowledgeable gear heads. When we need help they are here.
USMC_Spike likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 123 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 3:36 PM
Team Member
Mark

It's probably a good sign Spike isn't on the computer (probably rubber coating the streets!!).
USMC_Spike likes this.

69 Chevelle Malibu
427 sbc, TH400, 3.55 12-bolt
n/a best: 11.24sec/118mph

post #94 of 123 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 3:44 PM
Super Mod
Bob

Just goes to show how incompetent some people are at local shops. They charged a bunch of cash and couldnt get it to run.
USMC_Spike likes this.

1969 SS396 Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #95 of 123 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 4:19 PM
Gold Member
Gene

To your point, I dont know if there are any experts in real life. Very few is the answer.
USMC_Spike likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #96 of 123 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 6:13 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

Bad thing is , guys like us are getting older and the info pipe line on these engines will get scarce. There is unlimited knowledge on here. I listen to you guys all the time. Some things I remember from decades ago and some you refresh me on.
Thanks to you all !!

post #97 of 123 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 7:07 PM
Team Member
Bob

Send a message via AIM to 540 Olds

Hello,

I got to Spike's house yesterday morning around 1100, with about 4 hrs to spare before getting to work. HE and I worked through our "plan" and finally got car running about 8pm. We did about 3 hrs worth the work in about 10, but we also took a 2-3 hour break as it was getting hot and neither of us a "spring chickens"...but this morning I was a STIFF chicken!! Work called about 1pm yesterday and said they were going to train another guy on my flight, so I didn't need to leave, and that took the "time pressure" off, so we could relax.

Bottom line; I really don't know exactly what the problem was, unless it was the lack of a regulator allowing 14 psi fuel pressure..but Spike had limited it to 7psi yesterday. I checked out timing and plug wires before we pulled distributor, and everything looked good. After priming the oil and carefully making sure we were still close to TDC with about 15* advance on the balancer, we put dist and wires back on; left the wires out of that metal loom the shop had installed because we didn't know if that was causing any spark cross-fire. After getting fuel system "rigged" for driveway start, we added some fuel and cranked, unsuccessfully at first, then advanced timing til it came to life.

It seemed to run fine, decent throttle response and it would idle around 1000rpm after 15 minutes. No leaks, water temp 180-190, and oil pressure fine. Only noise I could hear was valve train and I "assume" it has Morel lifters because of all the noise....(someone has to remedy that). We ran it for about 30-40 minutes total with several starts and throttle blips, idling, etc. It still needs some fine tuning with carb settings and timing; as far as I could tell the vacuum advance was hooked to manifold because I could find no port on the carb. But it sounded fine and revved nicely...some more teaking and it should be good to go. Timing light showed about 25 degrees at idle WITH vacuum hooked up, and about 45* when rpm at 2500 WITH vacuum hooked up. Idle WITHOUT vacuum was 10-12*.

I can't think of much more now, but I do know, GETTING OLD SUCKS.!!!! 30 years ago we would have done the same work in about 2 hours. But, we got it running to the point where he can make some real progress, so ...."Mission Accomplished"...

Bob
post #98 of 123 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 8:25 PM
Team Member
Mark

It's awesome having people like Bob around!

69 Chevelle Malibu
427 sbc, TH400, 3.55 12-bolt
n/a best: 11.24sec/118mph
post #99 of 123 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 8:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage
Congrats guys 👍😀
USMC_Spike likes this.

post #100 of 123 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 9:29 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Niiiice!
USMC_Spike likes this.

72 SS 402/4 speed/Straub roller and a bunch of Duramaxes.....
post #101 of 123 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 10:31 PM
Tech Team
Pugsy

You're a good man, Bob.
USMC_Spike likes this.

PUGSY 69 El Camino, "CURSE" 5.3 Swap, 4L60e, 3:73 Posi
6.0L cam, 4.8L Flat Tops, 243 Heads

Fun, but not fast....14.7 @ 93.2 MPH
post #102 of 123 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Spike

Hi Y'all:

Update, whatever 540 Olds (Bob) said.

In general, Bob and I worked well as a team for not knowing each other and
never corresponding, etc. Before I knew it yesterday Bob said he was "here".
After brief introduction etc, showed work area and gave briefing. 1st issue was
fuel pump gasket, second issue was fuel. What we didn't want was to dig into
everything and have to run around for parts.

We must have gotten the last BBC Mechanical fuel pump Gasket in Texas. Then got premium fuel, and to the Chevelle.

After opening up the garage, we went to work, in keeping with BillyGman fuel pump rod
and Bob working the rotating assembly around to TDC, with my finger in #1, it was time to
install the pump rod. From the bottom Allen screw hole it went right in, all the way up and
stayed. I dabbed sticky red on the bronze tip, lubed the shaft with oil, slid it in and it stuck.
Dabbed the pump end with sticky red also, Permatex #1 on the gasket, a touch of copper
anti seize on the bolts and installed the pump. Permatex #2 on the allen screw, and installed it.

Filled it up with NAPA 20W-50 as Bob was confident that the engine had enough pulls on the dyno
that I didn't need the break in additives, it was a hyd roller after all. Bob was also confident that
R&S-CH missed something, did something wrong and that we shouldn't start pulling and replacing
everything willy nilly. After all, Bob said, they had it working and running on the dyno, there
shouldn't be anything really wrong with it, the engine, head, intake, carb combo were all new
and known to be working before shipping. After filling with oil, sealing the engine we were ready
for part 2, End of part 1.

Part 2

Verifying what we have. Bob and I went through and analyzed everything timing and electrically.
We found approximate TDC, we marked the distributor and the the cap so that when we pulled
it, we could put it back in same place. We then pulled it, found the right parts to prime the engine
and pumped it up before burning out the drill.

Before we stabbed the dizzy back in, I went through and cleaned reluctor contacts, distributor's brass parts with DeoxitD5, to get rid of any oxidation and build up. Blew it dry and little specs of stuff out if with compressed air. Reinstalled it, and adjusted it a few times to get it right. We also verified, cleaned and checked the wiring, hooked up the battery and gave it a check engage to set the dizzy.

After checking and double checking, setting it up to see if it sparks. The process was:
check for spark at distributor from from coil -- pull the dizzy coil wire and set next to it on cap.
Check for spark at #1 cylinder--pull #1 wire at cap set next to it on cap.
After verifying spark to wired it was give it a shot.

Process as follows:
Pour some gas down cab throats and see if it fires up?
It didn't, so we added some starting fuel spray. it fired.
Then fill the front bowl through the breather until 1/2 way in the site glass.

This was the fun part as we overfilled it and fuel ran through the butterfly plate bushing.
We mopped it up and after it quit leaking out we tried to fire it up again.
Then we added starting fuel and it started backfired exploded with fire on the carb and
manifold, My kid was crying and I ran and got towel and put out the flames.

It was then that Bob was asking me if I could see fuel squiring from the driver's seat
when I was pressing the pedal and as Bob wanted to see it for himself, I got the job of
spraying starting fluid down the carb while he turned the key. Thanks Bob. I got the next
explosive back fire an doused the flames with a towel. Mean while my kid wasn't screaming
any longer because she moved to the back of the garage to watch. She did keep inquiring as
to why the muscle car kept exploding and it was not supposed to do that, right?

After the last blast, Bob thought it might be alright to monitor things from up front while
I got to turn the key. We didn't use the starting fluid any longer and got it running briefly from
the front bowl.

Then it is both bowl, we filled them up until the 1/2 the site glass. We (meaning Bob) didn't
over fill the carb bowls this time and went at it again.
Bob monitoring the carb, engine essentials while I worked the key. It started again sluggishly
we pumped it up a bit bob tweaked the idle speed screw etc. It ran until stalled by empty bowls.

I think it was right about here I had to stop as I was going to become a heat casualty.
The kid is good an found my swim trunks and a beach towel, as I changed and use the
hose to cool off, a lot. Red raise the head, pale raise the tail, I was pail alright and more
hose water and raised the feet on the lawn, on the towel. Then we discussed
sitting out in the heat of the day and progressing later.

We are talking about 100 degrees and 90 something
humidity, were out back in that stuff. At least
we had a fan and a tarp covering some of the Chevelle. I gave Bob the recliner, I took the floor mat, Tiffany kept us entertained.

Tiffany kept wanting us to get up and keep working on the muscle car to not stop, and why we were just
sitting around in the A/C in the house not working on it. Were we just going not leave it like that?

I had to explain that we need a break called at
tactical nap.

I guess we did take a 2 - 3 hour tactical nap!

I'm feel too beat up at the moment to write any more. I'll post again when I'm up to it, I'm working
on recovering from this. It was a lot of work this
last week trying to get it up to this point.

I could not have accomplished it without my
Team Chevelle Brother Gearheads! And Bob!

To be continued....

Last edited by USMC_Spike; May 22nd, 20 at 11:53 PM.
post #103 of 123 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 3:33 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Nice work!
Hope you finally can enjoy your new engine!
USMC_Spike likes this.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4” wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #104 of 123 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 8:21 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Gerry

Great news! Glad you guys got it figured out. Really nice of Bob to help you out like that.
To quote an old starlet “Gettin old is not for the faint of heart”. 👍
BillyGman and USMC_Spike like this.

67 SS BBC
4.11's
post #105 of 123 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 8:28 AM
Senior Tech Team

Garage

Great post and a good Team effort. Nice job Bob and Spike.
USMC_Spike likes this.

66 SS-396/425 - M22 -3:73 -12 bolt
USN-SSBN 645-G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in