High RPM Spread bore dual plane Vortec intake. - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

High RPM Spread bore dual plane Vortec intake.

Would anyone have a recommendation? With a quick search I've found the Edelbrock RPM Marine but it's pretty expensive and I don't need the anti-corrosion properties built into that manifold. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 11:43 AM
Team Member
Bill

Garage
Re: High RPM Spread bore dual plane Vortec intake.

First most Rochester Marine carbs are pretty much the same except they have a higher flow needle and seat and the body is painted. Holley based marines do have J vent tubes to control splash. You have a couple choices but need more info for you to pick the correct one. First you have to determine how many CFM's you need, the type of choke, auto or manual linkage etc. Depending on the size and HP capability of your engine you will need to get one with the correct jets, metering rods and power valve so you need to know your idle vacuum. And finally your application for the car. Personally I like a well tuned Rochester for best all around driveability and power but you can also go with a spread bore holley too. I have always rebuilt my own carburetors, many marine. Most performance rebuild places will use the bigger needle and seat which I recommend for any Rochester. Don't forget there are many different versions of this carburetor based on the years design. Stay away from anything after 1980.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 12:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdini View Post
First most Rochester Marine carbs are pretty much the same except they have a higher flow needle and seat and the body is painted. Holley based marines do have J vent tubes to control splash. You have a couple choices but need more info for you to pick the correct one. First you have to determine how many CFM's you need, the type of choke, auto or manual linkage etc. Depending on the size and HP capability of your engine you will need to get one with the correct jets, metering rods and power valve so you need to know your idle vacuum. And finally your application for the car. Personally I like a well tuned Rochester for best all around driveability and power but you can also go with a spread bore holley too. I have always rebuilt my own carburetors, many marine. Most performance rebuild places will use the bigger needle and seat which I recommend for any Rochester. Don't forget there are many different versions of this carburetor based on the years design. Stay away from anything after 1980.
I think you missed that he asking for input on an intake manifold, not a carburetor. He wants a high RPM spread bore dual plane intake for Vortec heads (if I am reading it correctly).

The only one that I am seeing is the Edelbrock 7516, which is over $450 everywhere for some reason. I tried to find one from Weiand, Holley, Dart, Professional Products, AFR, and Speedmaster - it does not look like anyone makes a high RPM spread bore intake for Vortec heads. You may have to use a square bore intake with an adapter. Perhaps one of the engine builders will chime in, since they have more knowledge and access to stuff like that.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 12:23 PM
Senior Tech Team

Professional Products 52007 is likely to be the closest to what you are looking for that you will be able to find.

Steve R
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 12:27 PM
Team Member
Bill

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakkoWarner View Post
I think you missed that he asking for input on an intake manifold, not a carburetor. He wants a high RPM spread bore dual plane intake for Vortec heads (if I am reading it correctly).

The only one that I am seeing is the Edelbrock 7516, which is over $450 everywhere for some reason. I tried to find one from Weiand, Holley, Dart, Professional Products, AFR, and Speedmaster - it does not look like anyone makes a high RPM spread bore intake for Vortec heads. You may have to use a square bore intake with an adapter. Perhaps one of the engine builders will chime in, since they have more knowledge and access to stuff like that.

Yup sure did. Thanks for the clarification
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 12:43 PM
Team Member
Bill

Garage

Here is one good to 6500 RPM

Professional Products
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pfs-52028
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 12:49 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

What are you considering "high rpm" and for what size engine ? I have drilled and tapped a set of Vortec heads to use the old style intake manifolds. The casting is pretty thin in the center section so what I did was tap it 3/8 fine thread and then used studs instead of bolts. That worked perfect for a couple of dirt track customers of mine.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 1:12 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdini View Post
Here is one good to 6500 RPM

Professional Products
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pfs-52028

That one is not for a spread bore carb

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 3:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
Professional Products 52007 is likely to be the closest to what you are looking for that you will be able to find.

Steve R
That one is only good to 5,500 (as are all of the others for the Vortec heads, with the exception of the Edelbrock 2516 - I got the model number wrong in my earlier post). I have a feeling he is wanting something that will perform beyond 6,000 RPM.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 5:02 PM
Team Member
Bill

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
That one is not for a spread bore carb
Wow, two mistakes on one post. I think I will not post anything else today. Oh come on guys I can hear the applause all the way up to Boston
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 6:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Did you try Ebay?

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 6:29 PM
Senior Tech Team

I have a spread bore dual plane Vortec intake at my shop. I think it's Edelbrock. I paid $50 for it and would sell it for that much. I can get a pic tomorrow and model number if it helps.
427L88 likes this.

Gary Adrian
Organized people are just too lazy to look for their stuff...
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 8:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Any chance cutting down the center divider 3/4" on a regular Performer manifold would help?
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 9:39 PM
Senior Tech Team

I have used the Vortec RPM Air Gap and it works good but the low end torque was not as good as the GM Vortec Bowtie RPM intake I have now. The Super Victor works very well also.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 10:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

This is not a spread bore but look anyway just for the RPM specs and the price.
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/513002/10002/-1

Now the story with it ..I got one for my Home ported 906 vortec heads.
I did cut the divider down about 1/2" that was it.

357" SBC flat top engine .005 piston down the hole 5.5cc reliefs .039" head gasket.
Cam is a Hydraulic Roller [email protected] .50 and .492" lift, 110 LSA 1.5 stainless roller rockers 7/16 studs.

Beehive springs, 313 rate, 130 seat pressure.
It revs quick to 7000 rpm.
I ran a much modified 4779 on it and stock late 70's HEI distributor.

I do not like a flat floor in an intake manifold..I want it to have ribs "waffled" floor.
Find one in a spread bore and cut the divider a bit and never mind that the RPM rating is 5500.

Or run an adapter plate if you have clearance.

I assume you do not have the clearance.

I tested a ported Q jet intake against the Edelbrock Performer RPM intake. The GM q jet intake made 10 HP less than the RPM at the wheels.
It made best HP with a Q jet carb..I also tested my Modified 4779 Which made 10 HP less ..And I tried the Q jet on the RPM intake and on it vs the 4779 the Q jet now made 10 HP less.

I also tried a marine Q jet intake and it made 30 HP less than the RPM intake.
The plenum ported Q jet intake was worth 20 HP over the marine.
All of them would pull all the way to 6500 rpm without nosing over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in