4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 9:06 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Gerry

Re: What do you guys think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
Gerry I haven't put my intake on yet, still have to put #1 valve springs back on and adjust lifters, thinking of using High Tack on the int. side & Right Stuff on the china walls and a little on the gasket between heads & manifold, I already have the high tack but never used it before, guess I'm too late on the screen since mine's almost complete
Iím going to give Gasketcinch a try when I put it back together which is basically high tack.

67 SS BBC
4.11's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 9:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

I'm putting my intake on today. I sprayed 2 coats of High Tack on the head side of the intake gaskets yesterday and let it set up about 5 minutes then stuck them on. then I set the intake on with no sealer and finger tightened the bolts. Today I'm going to remove the intake, put a skim coat of Right Stuff around the ports and water jackets then install manifold. For the china wall, clean the block and manifold with lacquer thinner, put a skim coat of Permatex Ultra Grey on both, then lay a bead of the Grey on the china wall and install the manifold. When the Ultra Grey is hard you can cut the excess that squeezed out with a razor blade for a clean finish that matches the intake.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 9:40 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

I always used the spray high tack on steel shim head gaskets and never had a leak. 190-200 psi compression tests. Never anything on a composite gasket. An old trick on the header leak at head situation, cut the flange between the tubes where possible, bolt on, use that way for a while and if no leaks spot weld the cut line. I have use permatex copper on header collector flange gaskets. The newer ball type collector are no angle so no leak .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Gerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrofox View Post
I'm putting my intake on today. I sprayed 2 coats of High Tack on the head side of the intake gaskets yesterday and let it set up about 5 minutes then stuck them on. then I set the intake on with no sealer and finger tightened the bolts. Today I'm going to remove the intake, put a skim coat of Right Stuff around the ports and water jackets then install manifold. For the china wall, clean the block and manifold with lacquer thinner, put a skim coat of Permatex Ultra Grey on both, then lay a bead of the Grey on the china wall and install the manifold. When the Ultra Grey is hard you can cut the excess that squeezed out with a razor blade for a clean finish that matches the intake.
When I put intakes on Iím pretty much surgical clean on everything. I do same thing with finger tight overnight on manifold.

What intake gaskets are you going to use?

67 SS BBC
4.11's
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Gerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Not sure what you see that you think is a problem ? I see some pretty normal fuel deposits on the port walls, probably an area of lousy flow like 68 said in the post above. Put it back together and stop worrying
Bill,
Question.. do you think my secondary power valve may be giving it too big of a hit? 50 pump shot with a backwards black pump cam gives a fast full pump shot. Thoughts?

67 SS BBC
4.11's
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 12:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradley67 View Post
When I put intakes on Iím pretty much surgical clean on everything. I do same thing with finger tight overnight on manifold.

What intake gaskets are you going to use?
Fel Pro 1205. This is a SB, but the same process.
bradley67 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in