• 1 Post By pnugene
  • 1 Post By Malibu ss 64
  • 2 Post By Johnny Bravo

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 3:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

406 distributor advice

What is a good choice for a dependable distributor for a under 6000 rpm, 10.5 c/r aluminum headed, 406 these days? Pertronix, MSD, GMPP, DUI? I've also got a GM points style and a GM stock HEI distributor in my spare parts. Would upgrading one of the stock distributors with quality parts be a better choice? If so, what brand of parts would be the most dependable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 3:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Re: 406 distributor advice

GM HEI p/n 93440806 is perfect for your application, $185 at Summit. Get some springs for mechanical advance tweaks and a Crane vac advance can and limiter kit installed per Dave Ray's method, and you're good to go.
Georgia69 likes this.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 3:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

I imagine I'll use a GM HEI in everything I build going forward. The GMPP one cited above is perfect.

Mike

69 Chevelle 496/TH400
ET/Speed - 11.371 @ 117.23 - SOLD JUNE 2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1965 Chevy Impala 355/TH350 - NEW RIDE JUNE 2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 4:56 PM
Senior Tech Team

You’ll need an adjustable ignition for your hot rod. Pertronics makes a suitable one piece unit and of course, the standard MSD w/control box.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 12:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

If you have a oem Hei just make sure its in good condition and give it a try.
I dynoed my 489 with oem Hei with accel in cap coil 600 hp and 6300 rpm and not a miss, a oem Hei is a good starting point.
mr 4 speed likes this.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4” wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 1:02 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

The GMPP distrib is nice but it has 22* of mechanical advance. Às long as your ok with that...

I had one and it performed flawlessly. Also had a DUI - save your money. Another 22* special.

*69 SS 502 EFI /224-228* HR/9.8:1/T56/3.90/ 4000lbs RW 11.5/124mph
*96 Stang 6.0 turbo 10.5/135mph (9.13 ET w/E85 and 16psi) **SOLD**
*2011 Mustang GT premium
*61" Scag Kohler 22hp 7mph
*2019 Honda XR650 Dual sport
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 7:46 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Garage
I want to play black sheep here and say that there's absolutely nothing wrong with points ignition. Routine maintenance is the only downside that I have ever heard that makes sense to me. If your car is a daily driver, there would be maintenance, but personally, I dig old school. My 406 has been running on stock points for over 10 years without one hiccup.I have a Crane adjustable vacuum advance unit on it and a quality set of points, cap, rotor condenser and stock coil from Napa. I only put around 1,000 miles per year on it, but it does what it's supposed to. Lubricate the cam and check the dwell (I do it every spring).There's absolutely nothing wrong with ANY distributor out there that makes sparks when it's supposed to.
mrpaticular and p40 like this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 8:32 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

John is absolutely right. Point ignition is like a SFT cam, work great and low maintenance. I ran a Accel dual point that I bought in 1972 until 2 summers ago. A super coil, and an extra condenser in the glove box. You can even preadjust your points and throw them in the box. I was never left stranded using a point dist. You can get point bounce at high rpm if the points are old or cheep. I even used a CDI unit in 1973 which worked good but went back to the super coil. Nothing like using quality proven pieces. I still have that dist. as a back up.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 8:36 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

GM HEI is on most everyone here shelf. Easy to come by, just make sure the bushings are tight. Put aftermarket pieces on and good to go at a good price.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 8:43 AM
Senior Tech Team

HEI is the Edlebrock of
the ignition business.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 10:13 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

I have the zz4 or GMPP distributor and it is great as long as you run a small cam or stock cam.

I had to modify the timing curve so it would be correct for a performance cam.

Had to modify the vacuum can too.

67 chevelle malibu / SS/ custom

Currently undergoing a metal work to remove all rust, if I ever get there.

Cant decide on prostreet or cruiser with a 4 speed.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 10:22 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

The zz4 HEI is set up for that engine. Start modifying and the dist has to be re-curved.
A points dist is so simple and was used since the beginning except for some magnetos which were the beginning of electronic ignitions.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 11:24 AM
z27
Tech Team
alex

Well now is my turn to throw some more lard into the fire. I have said this before. I agre with johny and paticular about a well set up points dist with a good coil. I have a complete 6-al msd in my camaroand i have not yet had any of the problems described by many .my gripe is for the large amount of money spent it does not run one iota better as far as the seat of the pants when you pour the coals to it. It does start faster and the plugs do last a bit longer but i expected more in the performance of it. The guy at the speed shop said there would be a night and day difference between the two, i think not. When it goes if they repair it for cheap ok but if not in the junk it goes very disapointed with it.i will either go to pertronics or back to what i had. Thank god i added to my harness rather than butcher it to install this poor performing part as far as i am concerned thank you . Alex
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 8:20 PM
Tech Team
Bob

I never changed the plugs in the 2 points with MSD 6 cars I owned, I put at least 30,000 miles on one set-still going when I sold it, I feel the MSD is the best thing ever invented for points and street performance engines, this was back in the leaded gas era and I can assure you an L-78 would not go 15,000 miles on a set of plugs in daily driving on standard Delco ignition system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in