Performance Our High Performance area

177Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 154 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 20, 3:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

Fast L78

Hi,

Does anyone have a fast L78? I'm thinking mid to low 12s. What is your combo? If you are running a carb spacer and you have proven it made a difference,how thick is it? What specs are you running in your distributer?

Big thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 154 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 20, 3:38 PM
Senior Tech Team

post #3 of 154 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 20, 6:14 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Fast L78

Did they run low 12s stock no
Id get rid of those rectangle ports and change cams to get there.
Wrong heads and a lazy design cam

Bet you can dip into the 11s wiht those 2 changes + headers

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you

post #4 of 154 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 20, 6:26 PM
Senior Tech Team

I’ll take the heads !
post #5 of 154 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 20, 6:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

Thanks for the info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 154 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 20, 7:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
MARK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 396375 View Post
Hi,

Does anyone have a fast L78? I'm thinking mid to low 12s. What is your combo? If you are running a carb spacer and you have proven it made a difference,how thick is it? What specs are you running in your distributer?

Big thanks
Yes, people do....https://youtu.be/OYC8XpG4meA

https://youtu.be/EyksWlC-HFo
potent rodent likes this.

Machined GM production heads
Oil pan modifications
Red Line Camshaft
post #7 of 154 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 20, 7:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

Quote:
Hi,

Big thanks
It might depend on whether the L78 is stock or slightly modified. Mine is equipped with a Howards cam and 1.72 Comp Cams Magnum rockers. Duration and lob separation are stock but cam/rocker combination adds another .025 valve lift. I also am running 1.88 exhaust valves, 800 Holley DP, (with spacer) headers, no smog pump and an MSD Pro Billet distributor with 12* static/37* total timing at 2,700. Engine was precision machined, balanced, honed with torque plates with all clearances blueprinted. SO...not actually stock...but not that far away either. That said, I've yet to run it at the track but might do so this season, just to find out what it will do with street radials, tailpipes, M22 and 3.73 rear gears. I'm betting mid-high 12's with the 3.73's and low-mid 12's with the 4.10 rear I've yet to build up. With Drag Radials and open exhaust perhaps 12.0.

I realize there are better cams and perhaps oval port heads would work better. But I built it how I wanted and it is an original L78 car so I didn't want to deviate too much from what GM offered in '69.
Z06vette likes this.

First Posted to TC as Ole Birkland in Feb 1999
Aces 3383
1969 Chevelle SS396, L78, M22, KK 4.10 posi, F41, Blue Light Stereo, Tilt Column, Burgundy/Maroon w/Red Stripe, Black Bench Seat, PS,
PDB, American Torque Thrust & BFG TA's, fully restored.
post #8 of 154 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 20, 8:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

30 years ago at my local track (Kil-Kare in Xenia Ohio) there was a guy who would occasionally show up with a slightly weathered survivor `69 L78 Nova. It was an automatic car with 4.10 gears. The only mods were headers & a good exhaust and a set of L60 street tires that hooked "OK". On a good pass feathering it off the line the car ran 12.60's-12.70's and attracted quite a bit of attention back then.

Carburetor Rebuild & Restoration
Engine & Driveline Parts & Services

Check out
on Facebook
post #9 of 154 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 20, 8:20 PM
Senior Tech Team

NHRA legal SS/D (no bracket racer, all right foot)
396/375 ran 11.17.....with rectangular port heads. !

Some here might recognize this car. !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai3cnc-77ZE
Watch this launch, little wheel spin, no wheels in the air drama !

540 HP 396, cam change, intake change, open headers and blueprint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DEB1BCD0-83F2-42D3-84ED-AEFC8CC14A0C_1584317976444.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	362.6 KB
ID:	619470  

Last edited by Reelysalty; Mar 15th, 20 at 8:40 PM.
post #10 of 154 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 20, 8:46 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Quote:
Hi,

Big thanks
This guy. Tim Clary. Pure Stocker. 396/375 ~ 12's, on F70 repo street tires. That fast enough?

facebook.com/psmcdr/photos/tim-clary-1969-chevrolet-chevelle-ss-396-best-run-12.131-at-116.42 mph

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #11 of 154 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 20, 8:51 PM
Senior Tech Team

^^^^^^ hahaha, so much for the mighty lightweight hemi beep-beep

Almost broke in 11’s

396/375 has always been an over achiever. !
post #12 of 154 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 20, 9:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

I had a friend whose Dad owned a 69 Chevelle 396-375 with chambered exhaust , 4 speed and 4:11 gears.

It felt like a 14 second car. That's all I have to say.

Color me a skeptic of those race cars being close to factory specs.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #13 of 154 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 20, 9:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bob

My friend had a nice 375hp 4spd 67 velle.
Ran 12.70 with j60 m&h racemasters thru mufflers and manifolds.
All stock rebuilt engine.

68 malibu 402 cid w/iron ret ports
[email protected] 1.47 60ft so far
[email protected] 1.452 60ft more to come!
Support our Troops!!!
post #14 of 154 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 20, 9:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Vintage Road Test: How Tough Was the 1966 Chevrolet Chevelle SS396?

"Of all the things the SS396 should be, it is competitive at the drags," he wrote. He put the car on the track without the magazine's typical strip tune-up, save for a tweak to the Holley four-barrelódisassembly of the vacuum diaphragm housingóto get the secondaries to open sooner.

The day was cool and the car faced a 30-mph headwind. The Uniroyal Tiger Paws didn't get much bite, and the car initially ran 16.30 at 86 mph. "Since traction seemed the major problem, we thought a few of the match racer tricks might be of some help," he said. "So the tires were burned through puddles of bleach for super cleaning, and some liquid traction compound painted on. This done, the machine recorded a better 15.70 e.t. at 92 mph. We realized that without the benefit of adequate dragging skins and a proper collector system, you can't expect miracles, but the wind and cold track had something to do with it, too."

The "without adequate dragging skins" comment is interesting because we found an outtake (seen here) of the Chevelle's trunk full of the aforementioned bleach, traction compound, and a pair of Casler slicks. Maybe they didn't fit. Maybe Dahlquist ran out of time. Not sure.

But he also noted that at the track that day was "a '65 Chevelle SS with 375 hp, NASCAR Holley, slicks, and who knows what else, that wasn't going more than a second quicker." So conditions were definitely an issue.

He summed up the Chevelle by calling it "the type of vehicle we hated to part with. It has just the right measures of ride-handling and acceleration that would make it the nuts for all kinds of driving, especially long trips. It's a fun car for today's dull traffic, and if it helps relieve the tedium of travel, you can't ask much more."

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/vint...hevelle-ss396/

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #15 of 154 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 20, 10:03 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville beth View Post
Vintage Road Test: How Tough Was the 1966 Chevrolet Chevelle SS396?

"Of all the things the SS396 should be, it is competitive at the drags," he wrote. He put the car on the track without the magazine's typical strip tune-up, save for a tweak to the Holley four-barrel—disassembly of the vacuum diaphragm housing—to get the secondaries to open sooner.

The day was cool and the car faced a 30-mph headwind. The Uniroyal Tiger Paws didn't get much bite, and the car initially ran 16.30 at 86 mph. "Since traction seemed the major problem, we thought a few of the match racer tricks might be of some help," he said. "So the tires were burned through puddles of bleach for super cleaning, and some liquid traction compound painted on. This done, the machine recorded a better 15.70 e.t. at 92 mph. We realized that without the benefit of adequate dragging skins and a proper collector system, you can't expect miracles, but the wind and cold track had something to do with it, too."

The "without adequate dragging skins" comment is interesting because we found an outtake (seen here) of the Chevelle's trunk full of the aforementioned bleach, traction compound, and a pair of Casler slicks. Maybe they didn't fit. Maybe Dahlquist ran out of time. Not sure.

But he also noted that at the track that day was "a '65 Chevelle SS with 375 hp, NASCAR Holley, slicks, and who knows what else, that wasn't going more than a second quicker." So conditions were definitely an issue.

He summed up the Chevelle by calling it "the type of vehicle we hated to part with. It has just the right measures of ride-handling and acceleration that would make it the nuts for all kinds of driving, especially long trips. It's a fun car for today's dull traffic, and if it helps relieve the tedium of travel, you can't ask much more."

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/vint...hevelle-ss396/

^^^^^^. Hahaha

Real deal, 396/375 with headers out horsepowered 454 LS6

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CFopXN2KrPc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in