No More MSD For Me - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 87 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 20, 2:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

No More MSD For Me

14 month MSD RTR 8360 left me stranded today. Ordered Pertronics replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 20, 2:36 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: No More MSD For Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelysalty View Post
14 month MSD RTR 8360 left me stranded today. Ordered Pertronics replacement.
I assume you are talking about the ready to run dizzy, correct? I have had two for those do that to me. What I do is convert them over to a pickup only model after they fail, then use a 6A box after that or other to fire the ign. No more failures, just did that on the race car last fall and used a free MSD 7AL2 and it works great. Make sure you use the Pertronics coil with the dizzy as I guess it makes a difference in performance. Sorry to hear it left you stranded.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 87 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 20, 4:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

The magnetic pickup is what failed, per MSD tech. No reading between orange and red wires.

I can make you a heck of a deal on this one, maybe 20 hrs on it. MSD rep offered me a repair discount, but I don’t know if I can trust MSD product.

Pertronics rep said no problem w/Blaster 2 coil ?

post #4 of 87 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 20, 6:34 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
The magnetic pickup is what failed, per MSD tech. No reading between orange and red wires.

I can make you a heck of a deal on this one, maybe 20 hrs on it. MSD rep offered me a repair discount, but I donít know if I can trust MSD product.

Here is what I know about those RTR MSD's, the two wires you want to test are the purple and gray wires that are the pickup wires. The red and orange go to module and that is what failed on both of mine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 87 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 20, 6:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

I have that same unit. Been in my car for many years. Never had a issue.

64 Chevelle 496
64 F100 Street Rod with BBC /Chevy trapped in a ford body
post #6 of 87 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 20, 6:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Chevele View Post
Quote:

I can make you a heck of a deal on this one, maybe 20 hrs on it. MSD rep offered me a repair discount, but I don’t know if I can trust MSD product.

Here is what I know about those RTR MSD's, the two wires you want to test are the purple and gray wires that are the pickup wires. The red and orange go to module and that is what failed on both of mine.

Thanks !

There definitely was not continuity between red and orange contacts.

Looks like module failure

I try and support those who support drag racing, but $ 475 + every 15 months is outside my pay grade !
post #7 of 87 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 20, 8:05 PM
z27
Tech Team
alex

Here,s my two on the m s d . I have the complete 6al set up on my stroker camaro. I paid a lot of money for that billet vac adv dizzy also. Its well set up and works ok . Here,s the gripe it does start faster than the old cast iron wellset up tach drive dizzy and the plugs do last a bit longer . In so far as the seat of the pants get up and go it dont run one iota better than the delco set up with a good coil and wires. It does start in two turns instead of eight and the plugs llast a bit longer . I expected a lot more out of that unit than i got. The guy at the speed shop said i wild notice a night and day difference. The car is a 70 ss i have owned and garaged it since oct of 73 and its never seen snow or salt since then . I do like pertronix stuff and have installed it with great results. As far as the m s d goes when it craps out if they fix it for real short money i will spend to fix it o0r else in the junk it goes alex
boyd66k20 likes this.
post #8 of 87 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 20, 8:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

If MSD fixed for free, free shipping both ways, which they don’t,.....one word,

Tow bills !
post #9 of 87 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 20, 8:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Do these modules go all at once or are there some pre-failure symptoms? I’ve been chasing some poor drivability issues lately.
post #10 of 87 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 20, 9:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Sorry to hear your troubles, but the speed shop folks want to sell you all the high tech high dollar whizbang stuff that isn't a bit better than OEM AC Delco HEI. Just sayin, for less than $200 you can have a simple bulletproof ignition that GM engineers spent a lot of time under development.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
post #11 of 87 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 20, 9:17 PM
Senior Tech Team

failing coils are what cause the dizzy failures. MSD coils are notorious for causing premature dizzy failure. Use the standard oil filled coil from o'reily. My RTR worked great for 10 yrs. Out of the blue it stranded me. By the time my buddy arrived with the trailer it fired right up and I drove it home. It did the same thing about a week later. i waited for it to cool down. Yep. Fired right back up. i tested the pick up. yep it was bad as well. The coils internal winding's short and cause failure. I believe my RTR failed because of the blaster coil. Internet chatter supports that. I convinced MSD to fix the thing for 1/2 and I paid shipping. That RTR is in my 56 now with an oreily coil running fine. Dave Ray I believe would say the same thing.

Marc S

71 SS 454 ELCO
Edelbrock Proflo4
TKO600
Strange 12bolt w/4.10
post #12 of 87 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 20, 9:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnugene View Post
Sorry to hear your troubles, but the speed shop folks want to sell you all the high tech high dollar whizbang stuff that isn't a bit better than OEM AC Delco HEI. Just sayin, for less than $200 you can have a simple bulletproof ignition that GM engineers spent a lot of time under development.
Will HEI fit in tight places like 55 Chevy, can I change springs for Advance curve and advance limit control, is there an adj rev limit built in ?

I had HEI on my 55 and don’t think it had much adjustability ?
post #13 of 87 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 20, 9:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971ss454Elco View Post
failing coils are what cause the dizzy failures. MSD coils are notorious for causing premature dizzy failure. Use the standard oil filled coil from o'reily. My RTR worked great for 10 yrs. Out of the blue it stranded me. By the time my buddy arrived with the trailer it fired right up and I drove it home. It did the same thing about a week later. i waited for it to cool down. Yep. Fired right back up. i tested the pick up. yep it was bad as well. The coils internal winding's short and cause failure. I believe my RTR failed because of the blaster coil. Internet chatter supports that. Dave Ray I believe would say the same thing.
Is there a way to check my coil, I have a basic analog multi meter. Could someone walk me thru it ?

Should I order a NAPA coil ?
post #14 of 87 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 20, 9:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Quote:
Will HEI fit in tight places like 55 Chevy, can I change springs for Advance curve and advance limit control, is there an adj rev limit built in ?

I had HEI on my 55 and donít think it had much adjustability ?
I hear what you're saying, but is what you're currently running reliable? HEI's certainly respond to spring and advance curve changes, the other stuff you've got to decide what's important.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
post #15 of 87 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 20, 9:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

REELY IIRC a points coil will read 3 ohms across - and + and an electronic coil is 5 or 6 ohms, hope someone can confirm this, my memory ain't what it used to be, also on a side note I'll be ordering a pertronix with rev limiter soon, read too many MSD problems

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in