• 1 Post By jeff swisher
  • 1 Post By DUTCH MAX HEADWORK
  • 1 Post By Reelysalty
  • 1 Post By Reelysalty

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 20, 4:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Valve Adjusting Continuing Saga

Why is it the further I back off, better car runs ? I’m at one eight preload now, and plan to try 0 preload soon.

I’ve tried finding 0 lash by feeling vertical pushrod movement and by feeling twist resistance. Same results ! ?

I can’t find any reference to “leave at 0 preload” yet, this seems to work ?

Mild 396, flat tappet, hyd lifters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 20, 5:03 PM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

Re: Valve Adjusting Continuing Saga

I had anti pump up lifters that wanted 0 lash.

Do it while it is running .. Back off until they click and then tighten until it quits ticking.. Done.
But you should have the good retainer clip in the lifters not the one that looks like a round paper clip bent to fit.

If you have that paper clip retainer then go 1/8 turn after clicking and do not float the valves.
427L88 likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 20, 5:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Thanks, Jeff !

Your comments validate my work.

How much mess is this gonna make ? As a kid, I’ve seen it done, cast iron manifolds smoking.

I don’t want oil burning on coated headers.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 20, 6:09 PM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

I take an old pair of jeans and cut the legs off and lay them onto the headers you can get them wet first but I found no need to do that.
I have the valve cover off on 1 side and a buddy in the car to start it.
Socket and ratchet at the ready.

If you have rocker nuts with the set screw down the middle back off the set screw a couple turns.
Have the buddy fire that thing up. Doing it cold first thing in the morning is fine also as the thicker oil does not pump as quick out of the rocker holes.

I can usually have one side done in under 30 seconds.
Not really messy.

If you are really worried about the jeans burning up get some sheet metal and lay over the headers and then lay the jeans or rags onto that.

Not rags you have been soaking up flammable or oily fluids with.

Another easy thing to do to keep oil to a minimum is old pair of valve covers with top cut out.

And yet another is to clean the rocker arm off with lacquer thinner around the pushrod end and place some small strip of duct tape above the oiling hole and down the side of the rocker to secure the tape well so it does not squirt up and over the rocker.. it will hit the tape and trickle into the nut area.

That tape is good for 40 seconds or so.

When i am done i waive my hand at my buddy and he kills the engine.
If doing it by yourself you can close the choke or pull coil or power wire to kill it.
boyd66k20 likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 20, 6:11 PM
Senior Tech Team

It is because the inlet valve closing time is counter productive to capturing and holding enouogh mixture in the chamber to make power.

Two ways to fix it, change the cam to one that has a closer intake valve closing time, less duration, sooner intake valve closing time, or, add Rhoads anti pump up lifters TO THE INTAKE VALVES, NOT THE EXHAUSTS. This will close the intake valves sooner at lower engine oil pressures, later when oil pressure reaches full pressures. This in effect gives yu a milder intake profile, better mixture capture and higher DCR compression ratio at between idle and when the cam "hits".
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 20, 6:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelysalty View Post
Thanks, Jeff !

Your comments validate my work.

How much mess is this gonna make ? As a kid, I’ve seen it done, cast iron manifolds smoking.

I don’t want oil burning on coated headers.
Cut the top off an old valve cover. Just enough to reach the adjusting nuts and install a set of Rocker Arm Oil Deflectors. No oil leaks, mess on the floor or burning into header coating. Do one side at a time then install the good cover before doing the other side. The engine should be up to operating temp when adjusting in this method.

A quick search shows the valve covers with cut outs in the video below.
https://youtu.be/wXLFHXXQauA?t=47
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31x3QOu8COL.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	617468  
potent rodent likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 20, 6:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

“Not rags you have been soaking up flammable or oily fluids with.”

Haha haha ! That’s a classic, right there. Great idea on sheet metal and denim. Thanks Jeff !

Dave Ray, I appreciate your comments. Pretty sure I have these anti-pump up lifters.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 20, 7:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Reading about Rhodes lifters which I believe I have. Adjust in car, they say do not rotate, remove vertical PR motion only.

Comments all over internet about noise, clicking, etc supposed to make noise, it appears.

This racket is what got me started,
although if it’s expected OK by me.
427L88 likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 20, 9:15 PM
Gold Member
Gene

I was gonna say, I have some really crappy BBC VC's if you want to spend the $5-10 to get one to you. Then you can hole saw it for valve setting right where the drippers lay. ( sbc is easier, you just torch cut a rectangle out of it. ). Although ti sounds as if the Rhodes ( which I ve never lashed) may not prefer a running lash.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 20, 9:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Thanks 427 !

But as this worm keeps turning,
and you stated, Rhodes specifically states the vertical PR adjust although they prefer adjust with intake off.
427L88 likes this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 11:16 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Correct lifter preload is a function of the internal plunger travel. All lifters do not have the same travel dimension. Check with the mfg for travel length. Typically the correct preload is in the middle of travel 50% My Morel Pro Series have a .120 travel so .050 travel is what it likes. With 7/16 -20 stud that equates to 1 full turn
Modern hi rpm Roller lifters have very tight internal clearance that dont like heavy oil. They will be noisy if oil too thick to Pass thru the orfice quickly.
Hardest part to get preload correct is finding True. Zero lash. Esp on a BBC SOME lifter plungers compress very easy just by rotating pushrod vertical play is what I use

66 CDN Malibu SS A51,L34,M20 Aztec Bronze

Tremec by Liberty[/FONT]

Foxwell 475 BBC 688hp /610 tq
9.5 cr pump gas Brodix heads by Foxwell Straub hyd Roller
Crusin / Track video
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in