Stamped rockers BBC - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 2:16 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Stamped rockers BBC

Is there a way meassure If the slot is long enough for the cam lift?
Have a set of stamped BBC rockers I would like to use with a flat tappet cam .550 lift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 8:09 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage
Re: Stamped rockers BBC

Maybe call Summit and ask how long the slot is on the Crane long slot stamped rockers? I have a .533 lift cam in my 454 that was fine with 1986 RV stamped rockers, I can measure a couple of them later today, it has 69 063 heads & stamped rockers on it now or Id measure the 69 rockers too...if they're even the original stamped rockers?
Chevelle 1969 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 8:14 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
Maybe call Summit and ask how long the slot is on the Crane long slot stamped rockers? I have a .533 lift cam in my 454 that was fine with 1986 RV stamped rockers, I can measure a couple of them later today, it has 69 063 heads & stamped rockers on it now or Id measure the 69 rockers too...if they're even the original stamped rockers?
That would be supernice of you to do that!
Maybe a picture of the rockers too?
shovelrick likes this.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 9:19 AM
Senior Tech Team

The rough test was put one on and see if you could get a paper clip between the rocker and the stud at full lift.
BillyGman likes this.

Ray

Best pass 8.87 at 150.98 1.212 60'. Sold 3/2018

1970 SS 396 project in progress. Bought 5/2018
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 11:11 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle 1969 View Post
Is there a way meassure If the slot is long enough for the cam lift?
Have a set of stamped BBC rockers I would like to use with a flat tappet cam .550 lift
I bought the Summit steel rockers for a BBC last year and they have a ton of clearance for cams up to .600, they were also made in the USA.
72LS3Z27 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 11:38 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Not trying to sway you,but when I changed nothing else on my HO454 crate motor except for those stamped rockers it came with,it was a huge seat of the pants difference.Felt like I put a bigger cam in.
I use the comp ultra pro mags,not cheap,but I love them.
The gen 6 crate motors use stamps which would prolly be more than good for what youre doing.
Saltherring likes this.

GenVI 454,Autogear M-22W,Moser 12 w/3.42s

'67 Malibu,468 w/TH400

Project-

post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 12:32 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72LS3Z27 View Post
Not trying to sway you,but when I changed nothing else on my HO454 crate motor except for those stamped rockers it came with,it was a huge seat of the pants difference.Felt like I put a bigger cam in.
The gen 6 crate motors use stamps which would prolly be more than good for what youre doing.
Interesting !
Could factory rockers have been mid-adjusted ?
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 12:36 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelysalty View Post
Interesting !
They just bolt down in stock form on a gen6.

GenVI 454,Autogear M-22W,Moser 12 w/3.42s

'67 Malibu,468 w/TH400

Project-

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 1:09 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelysalty View Post
Interesting !
They just bolt down in stock form on a gen6.
You folks with your modern motors. !

😁
72LS3Z27 likes this.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 20, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Do you still have the stamped rockers? Maybe you can meassure the slot? The ho cam is .510 .540?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Chevele View Post
I bought the Summit steel rockers for a BBC last year and they have a ton of clearance for cams up to .600, they were also made in the USA.
Thats my backup plan the rockers I have are almost new so hoped I could use them

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
I measured mine just under .700
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	479BDE76-8134-4B88-8BEA-8B3D93485A49.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	616654  
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 20, 12:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

My experience going from stamped to roller on a 350. If you adjust hydraulics running this is what happened. Engine was warm. Backed off one rocker until clicking, moved to 0 lash and quickly moved tighter 1 full turn. engine rpm stumbled. Installed a roller on the adjacent cylinder exhaust and did the same thing, no stumble at all. There is a ton of friction in the fulcrum of a stamped rocker, but they are reliable. Today's rollers on the other hand are suspect to failure. I had 1 stamped break years ago but never a roller from the past made in U.S.A. fail. But sometimes at the track the announcer will ask if anyone has an available roller. I'll stick with solid flat tappets.
shovelrick likes this.

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 20, 7:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

SH!T I've been working on blah blah forgot to measure/take pics, apologies, going over to the shop now

post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 20, 8:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

Here's 1 of my 86 RV rockers, sorry so late
edit: I ran these for a very short time with a .533 lift cam and I just noticed some "hard" marks at the PR cup & the slide of the rocker but I don't know if that's normal or not, came from an RV engine that had less than .500 lift (.470ish) originally
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200216_202200_Film3.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	616742   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200216_202416_Film3.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	616744  

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 4:09 AM

OEM big block rockers will have a letter identifier......

H Rockers were used on later high performance engines 1970 and up. #3959182
L Rockers were used on early high performance engines 1969 and down. #3860308
X Rockers were used on 1965-66 high performance engines.

These are long slot rockers designed to work with OEM high lift cams of those years.

Hope this helps,

Harry
71350SS, mino65 and 68RS/SS like this.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 6:04 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpaticular View Post
.....But sometimes at the track the announcer will ask if anyone has an available roller. I'll stick with solid flat tappets.
Yeah, some racers at the drag strip will be running big solid roller cams with incredible pressures from triple valve springs in the 700-900 LB range. So that's gonna be tough on parts over the long haul.

Sometimes I wonder if certain parts become "the sacrificial lamb" in a certain sense. Example: if you're running a huge solid roller cam with a ton of valve lift, ( ie. .800+") you need to use real heavy/stiff valve springs as well as tough thick-wall pushrods which won't flex, and that can place lots of pressure and stress on the rocker arms. But if you lighten up on the valve springs and use more pliable/flexible pushrods that will give a little bit to soften the blow placed on the rocker arms, then you'll end up destroying the camshaft lobes and/or the valves and their seats due to valve bounce, and valve float. So perhaps the rocker arms have to take the hit and become the sacrifice in order to preserve other more expensive and more labor intensive type parts.

If you're drag racing your car, what would you rather have fail? A few rocker arms, or a camshaft and/or a valve along with it's seat? Of course some roller rocker arms can be more expensive than camshafts, a valve, and valve seat, sure. But it's a whole lot easier to replace rocker arms than a valve seat, or even a camshaft. In a perfect world ALL the valve train parts wolud be up to snuff and long-lived. But drag racing is never a perfect world. Almost always there are trade-offs. But I digress.

Going back to the comments about roller rocker arms on street cars, I'd much rather have rollers than stamped steel. Lotsa increased friction with stamped steel rockers. If you're running in a rules-limited race class which doesn't permit rollers,that's different. Or if you have a street car with a camshaft exhibiting less than .500" lift at the valve or less than 400HP at the flywheel, then it isn't like you need roller rocker arms. But if you're playing with a 500+HP build, and .550"+ lifts at the valve, I think it's a no-brainer to use roller rocker arms. After all, back in the 60's and 70's when our beloved Chevelles, (and Camaros and Novas) were coming off the assembly line, very few cars came with 500+ hp and/or valve lift more than .550" from the factory, and even the rare ones that did were mostly the special order cars requiring some type of special order code which the car salesman didn't even know about, (deleted radios, no heaters and the like). So factory cars got by with stamped steel rocker arms back then. JMO.
72LS3Z27 likes this.

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in