Picking a clutch - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 7:18 PM Thread Starter

Picking a clutch

Hey guys. 496ci with about 670hp at the crank. This will be coupled to a tremic 6 speed magnum. I've heard horror stories of guys have 70lbs force to operate clutch pedal. What is the preferred method to getting a soft clutch pedal?
My wife will be driving the car frequently and would like to keep it soft.

I dont know much about clutch materials and brands, types just know how to install them.

Any help would be appreciated! Only wana buy once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 8:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage
Re: Picking a clutch

Mcleod rst street twin or rxt street twin.
dell72 likes this.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 8:25 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

I ran Center Force dual friction. Less pedal pressure than stock L88 system. I used it behind several engines with sticky tires and it is still good years later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 5:46 AM
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpaticular View Post
I ran Center Force dual friction. Less pedal pressure than stock L88 system. I used it behind several engines with sticky tires and it is still good years later.
running a small 10.5 dual friction centerforce behind 550 HP bb, muncie and 9 Ford with 3.91 and p325 50 15 drag radials, just right for me.

15 years in Craft Brewing/ Distilling Industry
Lead Maintenance Mechanic
Submarine Service SSN 575 / SSN 683

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 11:51 AM
Tech Team

I have a similar big block and can tell you with my hydraulic clutch and a SST trx+ clutch it works awesome. I can actuate it with my hand!

It is a ceramic disk which means its somewhat a pain because it does like to grab when it gets hot, so sometimes it's hard to take off but otherwise it isn't an issue. It grabs and hangs on!

This behind a 650hp 489 in a 4000 pound car.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 3:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guy. Really appreciate the hell
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 7:00 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

I went through 2 Zoom 11 clutches from Summit and then switched to a 12 Centerforce . Ran it for years without a problem.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 11:00 AM
Tech Team
Dave

Put a 11 inch Zoom disc in my 66 back in 1981, clutch pedal would stay on the floor at high rpm shifts. Tore it apart and found a piece of material ripped out of the disc.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 20, 11:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

I have similar HP and Torque 475ci
I use a Ram Dual Disc 10.5 organic sprung 1 st disc and solid 2 nd disc nice pedal pressure works real nice does not hit as hard as The MCLeod dual disc. I bet the 9.5 Ram would hold the 625 torque

66 CDN Malibu SS A51,L34,M20 Aztec Bronze

Tremec by Liberty[/FONT]

Foxwell 475 BBC 688hp /610 tq
9.5 cr pump gas Brodix heads by Foxwell Straub hyd Roller
Crusin / Track video

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 5:37 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN SS View Post
I have similar HP and Torque 475ci
I use a Ram Dual Disc 10.5 organic sprung 1 st disc and solid 2 nd disc nice pedal pressure works real nice does not hit as hard as The MCLeod dual disc. I bet the 9.5 Ram would hold the 625 torque
Bill, by chance do you have a link to the clutch setup you are using? Thanks in advance.

Darren
1971 Chevelle
CFM Ported Stage 5 Brodix Race-Rites 310cc
10.5 scr
Ultradyne Solid Roller 256/264 .660/.660 108 lsa
CFM Ported Victor Jr / Pro Systems Venom VX 1050
T-56 Magnum 6 Speed, DFX
12 Bolt TrueTrac, 4.56 gear 33 spline Moser axles
30x12.5 ET Street Radial
525+++ rwhp

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

I have the Concept 10.5 but I bet the the 9.5 would be fine it has even softer pedal call them the tech guy is very good just make sure you know what flywheel bolt pattern tou have

https://ramclutches.com/product-fami...AaApgeEALw_wcB

Tremec by Liberty[/FONT]

Crusin / Track video

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

When you get over 600lbs of torque then a single disc will work but the disc material will need to be pretty aggressive and hit hard
Street dual disc with organic disc will be easier to drive but with more surface area to hold the big torque
Now if your just cruisin around on street tires then almost any clutch will work but sticky tires and high rpm shifting then go dual disc
When in doubt go softer on the disc over clutching is a parts breaker and no fun to drive on street

Tremec by Liberty[/FONT]

Crusin / Track video

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 1:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

That Ram Concept 10.5 organic looks like a nice setup. I like the idea of the sprung hub. I would assume that it is this one: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/r...0aArysEALw_wcB

I'm using the McLeod RST organic twin disc clutch that has two solid hubs. I've blown 3 sets of spider gears (Finally replaced the differential with a TrueTrac), and I blew two sets of spiders on the street, so it does hit really hard. Or, I might be a little rough on it sometimes...

To the OP: I use a GM hydraulic throw-out bearing, and it is really nice. There is no adjustment. Very light pedal effort.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/n...SABEgLw_PD_BwE

Also, if you're running 670hp, I would consider running a ceramic. It is a little more grabby, but managable. Call/email Ram for their suggestions.

'69 Chevelle SS ("NOT" ON THE ROAD NOW!
)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ
T-56 Magnum trans with hydraulic McLeod RST
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 2:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

My motor makes 688 hp 620 torque the twin organic handles it fine I dint like ceramic its on / off if I would to fo again id pbly go the 9.5 just a little less surface area so you may be able slip clutch on hard launches with slicks less clutch is always better than too much

Tremec by Liberty[/FONT]

Crusin / Track video

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 2:30 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN SS View Post
My motor makes 688 hp 620 torque the twin organic handles it fine I dint like ceramic its on / off if I would to fo again id pbly go the 9.5 just a little less surface area so you may be able slip clutch on hard launches with slicks less clutch is always better than too much
That's the only complaint I have... Sometimes it likes to shutter at take off and chirp the tires because it just grabs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in