Msd distributor gear - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 20, 1:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Msd distributor gear

The gears on their pro billet distributors are the quality ok? Seen lots of post that they are bad but never seen a failed gear or have one failed my self.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 20, 1:27 PM

Re: Msd distributor gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle 1969 View Post
The gears on their pro billet distributors are the quality ok? Seen lots of post that they are bad but never seen a failed gear or have one failed my self.
No. They have been made in China since 2014. Morel made them for MSD prior to that for 35 years.

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 20, 1:39 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstraub View Post
No. They have been made in China since 2014. Morel made them for MSD prior to that for 35 years.

Are you sure? I have a month old mail from Tommy Nicholson at holley(their owner) that all their gears are melonized and made in Us?

HLY-000000000217135

Yes all of our gears are Melonized and made in the US.

Your Question Was:

Hi!

Is the gear on the 8361 distributor melonized?
Gear made in Us?

If you have further questions, please reply directly to this email with history without altering the subject line.

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 20, 1:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

And says made in Usa on jegs page?
https://www.jegs.com/i/MSD-Ignition/121/8531/10002/-1
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 20, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Are you sure? I have a month old mail from Tommy Nicholson at holley(their owner) that all their gears are melonized and made in Us?

HLY-000000000217135

Your Question Was:

Hi!

Is the gear on the 8361 distributor melonized?
Gear made in Us?

If you have further questions, please reply directly to this email with history without altering the subject line.
Only gears made in the USA are the low volume numbers. Very low % of them are USA made.

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 20, 3:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstraub View Post
Only gears made in the USA are the low volume numbers. Very low % of them are USA made.
? But his answer says all gears made in usa for their 8361 distributors?

Maybe theres another source for Us made gears than Morel?or Do you know the gears they use are chinese?
Maybe they hone them to fit the axles and that makes them mostly made in Us?
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 20, 5:08 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

Quote:
? But his answer says all gears made in usa for their 8361 distributors?

Maybe theres another source for Us made gears than Morel?or Do you know the gears they use are chinese?
Maybe they hone them to fit the axles and that makes them mostly made in Us?
The bronze gears are definitely not a quality gear, I don't care where thy're made. Heard of too many failures since they switched. These days I automatically replace any bronze gear on any new MSD distributor. Don't even give it a second thought. As far as the iron or steel gears, I just assume the same thing. It's not something to chance, and with MSD's model of going cheaper and cheaper, it just stands to reason.

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
Straub Technologies

post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 20, 7:36 PM
Senior Tech Team

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8360/

I have 2 of these. MSD says iron gear. I do know MSD has the most don’t GAS customer service ever .
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 20, 11:45 PM
Team Member
George

I bought the msd pro billet with slip collar and no internal advance to ise with the 6530 3-4 years ago. It came with the bronze gear. I bought a replacement gear from Chris for it...never got around to changing it. Pulled the distributor out a couple months ago, gear still looked ok. Its seen alot of passes in three years.

My stuff is probably junky enough that nothing matters much.

'71 Malibu
3580 #, Carbed 6.0l LS swap in process
T-350, PTC 9" converter, 12 bolt, spool, 3.90 gears, MT ET R 275/60/15

355 [email protected]
125 [email protected]
388 Mud Motor- [email protected]
100 shot [email protected]
'72 Greenbrier Wagon: 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with 3.73
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 20, 12:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

I just use Cams with pressed on gears. No worries about dist gears.

'66 SS Chevelle
91 octane special
first day out
[email protected]
post #11 of 72 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 20, 1:00 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
The bronze gears are definitely not a quality gear, I don't care where thy're made. Heard of too many failures since they switched. These days I automatically replace any bronze gear on any new MSD distributor. Don't even give it a second thought. As far as the iron or steel gears, I just assume the same thing. It's not something to chance, and with MSD's model of going cheaper and cheaper, it just stands to reason.

Heard faillures? Seen them yourself?

Ive had morel lifters fail but dont just replace all of them because of that?

Two sets of their cheap mexico rebranded Eaton, one set had the axle for the wheel get loose caught it before any damage Heard the have clips holdingbolag the axle just like the more expensive morels now, the second was loud as hell and several collapsed replaced both sets with gaterman, everything fine and quiet since that. Still has my two sets of 4603 and they work very good. Maybe different quality levels to compete with low cost parts? Just like msd has different priced components?

Still wonder If anyone know If the msd gear that comes Std on a 8361 distributor is Us or chinese? Msd says us, jegs says Us and straub says china?

Still want to hear of faillures first hand not rumors.
post #12 of 72 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 20, 8:59 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

Quote:
Heard faillures? Seen them yourself?

Ive had morel lifters fail but dont just replace all of them because of that?

Two sets of their cheap mexico rebranded Eaton, one set had the axle for the wheel get loose caught it before any damage Heard the have clips holdingbolag the axle just like the more expensive morels now, the second was loud as hell and several collapsed replaced both sets with gaterman, everything fine and quiet since that. Still has my two sets of 4603 and they work very good. Maybe different quality levels to compete with low cost parts? Just like msd has different priced components?

Still wonder If anyone know If the msd gear that comes Std on a 8361 distributor is Us or chinese? Msd says us, jegs says Us and straub says china?

Still want to hear of faillures first hand not rumors.
Meh, you're right. I made it up. So did Chris.
Carry on.
rp930 likes this.

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
Straub Technologies

post #13 of 72 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 20, 9:20 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Cory

?????????????

One member claims to have an irrefutable manufacturer statement regarding the part in question.

Another member posted a link to a vendor site that appears to support the alleged manufacturer's statement.

Two other members dispute the above but show no supporting evidence.

post #14 of 72 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 20, 9:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokerboats View Post
I just use Cams with pressed on gears. No worries about dist gears.
Me too Dan. 500 miles on this Comp cam with a pressed on iron gear. Jegs claimed that their small cap HEI uses a melonized gear, too. (I really doubt that it was, but the gear looked fine.) Comp wanted to charge me MORE than I paid for the cam for replacement. A new Bullet cam and a GM melonized gear from Mike Lewis fixed the issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1909.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	615616  
Wolfplace and steelcomp like this.

'69 Chevelle SS ("NOT" ON THE ROAD NOW!
)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ
T-56 Magnum trans with hydraulic McLeod RST
post #15 of 72 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 20, 10:09 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream66 View Post
?????????????

One member claims to have an irrefutable manufacturer statement regarding the part in question.

Another member posted a link to a vendor site that appears to support the alleged manufacturer's statement.

Two other members dispute the above but show no supporting evidence.

The manufacturer's statement is not irrefutable.
The statement is false right form the beginning;

Quote:
Bronze gears are not Melonized.
If the person making that statement didn't know enough to differentiate and make a more clear statement, what else does he not know?

If the two other members you're referring to are Chris and myself, Chris is a manufacturer. We both work in this industry and are in constant contact with hundreds of other manufacturers and thousands of customers on a daily basis. We don't document every single case we see or hear regarding things like this. We do, however, try to pass along the best, most useful information we can. We try to protect our customer base and in doing so, the industry as a whole. Is it good for business? You bet. Is that our "agenda"? No sir. It's good for everyone. What people choose to do with the information is up to them.

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
Straub Technologies

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in