Bending 4130 Tube - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 5:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Bending 4130 Tube

So I am looking at installing a 5-point rollbar in my car so that I can get down to 10.00s ET's, that said I need a rollbar. I was planning on completing the work myself. Question is what is everyone using to bend up 4130 chromoly tubing. Will a generic tube/pipe bender work with the correct dies or is there something special I am missing.

any help/comments would be appreciated, I know some on here have done it on there own for a fraction of the cost.

1968 Beaumont
502 big block
Stock looking, definitely not stock sounding
HP and ET not determined yet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 12:22 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jason

Re: Bending 4130 Tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFast Beaumont View Post
So I am looking at installing a 5-point rollbar in my car so that I can get down to 10.00s ET's, that said I need a rollbar. I was planning on completing the work myself. Question is what is everyone using to bend up 4130 chromoly tubing. Will a generic tube/pipe bender work with the correct dies or is there something special I am missing.

any help/comments would be appreciated, I know some on here have done it on there own for a fraction of the cost.
This is the bender I have:

https://www.trick-tools.com/Pro-Tool...luxe105HD_5804
GoFast Beaumont likes this.

Jason Gore
AKA DragRacer
Naturally Aspriated 450 SBC - 915 HP / 714 lb-ft
3370 lbs
1.36 - 60', 5.93 @ 116.7 MPH - 1/8th
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 6:11 AM
Tech Team
Rob

You'll need a bender as described above, plus the necessary die(s) which are not cheap. Although a roll bar doesn't require certification, NHRA requires TIG welding on chromoly, but tech inspectors probably wouldn't question a MIG welded roll bar.

Any reason you wouldn't go with a prefab roll bar? It would save time and money.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66rat View Post
You'll need a bender as described above, plus the necessary die(s) which are not cheap. Although a roll bar doesn't require certification, NHRA requires TIG welding on chromoly, but tech inspectors probably wouldn't question a MIG welded roll bar.

Any reason you wouldn't go with a prefab roll bar? It would save time and money.

well I have a generic harbor freight bender already, i figured a person could use it. second right now is the exchange is 37%. With that said the shipping is also a killer for a oversized item.

generic roll bar, i have not really seen one fit the way i would like to see it. Building one on my own can get things placed were it is not invasive, the car is a street car.

i do have a tig welder to take on the task without problems

1968 Beaumont
502 big block
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 10:51 AM
Tech Team
Dave

The Harbor Freight bender flattens or collapses the tubing when bending. I built a shoe with sides to use with this bender. The shoe prevented the tube from collapsing. It worked. You had to use a little effort to release the tube from the shoe after bending.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 12:22 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

It takes hydraulic machines using bending mandrels to bend roll cage tubing plus you need a little knowledge of the the math to design and bend a roll bar that fits properly. Then you need the proper fabrication and welding equipment and knowledge to install it. Just reading your post you need to bite the bullet and find a good chassis shop and farm this job out. If you really want to tackle it yourself buy a vehicle specific roll cage from someone like [email protected] that's designed to fit
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 1:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25C 70 View Post
The Harbor Freight bender flattens or collapses the tubing when bending. I built a shoe with sides to use with this bender. The shoe prevented the tube from collapsing. It worked. You had to use a little effort to release the tube from the shoe after bending.
Got any pictures you could share, that would be great.

1968 Beaumont
502 big block
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 1:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnicholson View Post
It takes hydraulic machines using bending mandrels to bend roll cage tubing plus you need a little knowledge of the the math to design and bend a roll bar that fits properly. Then you need the proper fabrication and welding equipment and knowledge to install it. Just reading your post you need to bite the bullet and find a good chassis shop and farm this job out. If you really want to tackle it yourself buy a vehicle specific roll cage from someone like [email protected] that's designed to fit
Challenge accepted 😉

Pretty sure I can handle this one. Really nothing complicated about it. Just not sure about my equipment for bending the materials.
steelcomp likes this.

1968 Beaumont
502 big block
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 1:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

You cant bend the tubing without the proper equipment and even the least expensive ones are expensive. If you want to make your own cage and install it use half inch conduit to bend patterns and have a shop bend the tubing to match.
77 cruiser likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 3:13 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFast Beaumont View Post
Challenge accepted 😉

Pretty sure I can handle this one. Really nothing complicated about it. Just not sure about my equipment for bending the materials.
A harbor freight bender simply cannot bend 4130 tubing without deforming the tubing. It requires a bender with dies.

On mild steel you might be able to make a slight curve with that style benders, but a 90'ish bend for a roll cage is simply not possible.

As mentioned, 4130 requires TIG welding to be NHRA legal.

1967 Chevelle Malibu 4 door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The 7.99 at 173mph pass:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

8.02 at 171mph:

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 7:28 PM
Tech Team
Bob

just get a length of 1 5/8 by .083 moly and give it a try with the closest die to that size you have, then you will know-if it doesn't work try the sand tactic
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 8:37 PM
Tech Team
Dave

Chis, I will have to see if my buddy that I built it for still has it. I built it back in the late 90's. We bent a lot of 1 1/2 dom tubing with it. Later on I used a Greenlee computerized bender, possibly a 854, using the thin wall die, this bender was at my place of employment and now resides in my garage - computer on it took a dump. A few of my fiends use the manual benders to build dirt track cars. But they are not bending chrome moly either. I know there is a lot of strength difference between dom and seam weld, don,t know about chrome moly
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 20, 12:39 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

If you choose to use a company locally, I'd talk to Grant Reierson out of Edmonton. I think his shop's name is Capitol Gear Motorsports. He drives a 66 Nova that I've seen in person. It has a very nicely done chromoly cage that tucks up nice and tight.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 20, 9:10 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

Bending tubing takes practice. You can shop around for something like a manual Greenlee bender or even the one shown above but you will need a job-specific tubing bender for what you want to do. I would buy some inexpensive thinner wall mild steel tubing and make lots of practice bends before you start bending moly. You're going to make mistakes and it's really hard to straighten tubing out once you bend it. You're also going to want to get a tubing notcher. Here again, buy a decent one. The cheap ones are nothing but a PITA to use and you spend as much time cleaning up the cut as you would doing it by hand.
JMO.

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
Straub Technologies

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 20, 9:12 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragRacer View Post
How do you like that bender? I was eyeing one of those a while back when I had my car apart. Decided to put it back together this time without a bar but there will come a day.

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
Straub Technologies

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in