Approx cost of glass flat hood and hinges (67) - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 2:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Approx cost of glass flat hood and hinges (67)

Put this in tech as the topic is really about heat management
Low cost and interesting to me

Debating doing something subtle but effective to reduce underhood temps, incorporate a cold air setup but extract as much underhood heat as possible.

Not much experience with glass but seems simple from the little Ive done.

Some newer vettes have an interesting extractor behind the radiator, some guys space up the rear...any bright idears?
Love the sttel cowl one I have but get bored. Plus its heavy as hell.

Would you recommend using pins in addition to the latch, is it really needed?

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 20, 10:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage
Re: Approx cost of glass flat hood and hinges (67)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post

Debating doing something subtle but effective to reduce underhood temps, incorporate a cold air setup but extract as much underhood heat as possible.

Some newer vettes have an interesting extractor behind the radiator, some guys space up the rear...any bright idears?

For a 67 El Camino, why not install a cowl induction hood (2" rise) ?

That would give the hot air a way to escape. And cowl hoods for 67's are cheap !

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 20, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

have a cowl induction now...when I removed my ac I took the opening for the suitcase welded a lip on it in case a yunick type box was done.

This would need fab work which Im not capable of doing. Once ran a camaro air cleaner (cowl induction) but that was with the old motor that looked more stockish

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 3:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

The ZR1 corvette uses a neat hood that extracts hot air from the radiator...if the compartment builds pressure with hot air to boot..if that was removed, get cold air to the engine and looked good to boot..kind of a challenge without spending a ton .

MB uses a neat firewall that isolated the engine from electronics, brakes etc. Wouldnt be hard to do

Quote:

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 4:34 PM
Senior Tech Team

If not already done you could ceramic coat your headers or manifolds. Takes a ton of heat out of the engine compartment.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.

70 (SOLD)

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 5:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

The engine compartment and the hood design stock was to draw air in through the radiator and force it back and down against the firewall. Giving it a way to escape somewhere else may create more heat in the long run.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 20, 3:42 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

I have a fiberglass hood and fenders from Glasstek on my 67. It's a considerable weight savings. But the fenders required inner braces to make them match and hold the contour of the door body lines, so some fabrication is required
dell72 likes this.

1967 Chevelle Malibu 4 door

The 7.99 at 173mph pass:

8.02 at 171mph:

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 20, 4:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lance

Garage

Other considerations...Something like aluminum heat shields over headers to reflect heat down, coated headers-inside and out, take a look at the "turkey roaster" air boxes on the the big block cobras with the idea of ducting your cowl induction hood into it for cooler intake temps (kind of a "take-off" on Smokey's plenum air cleaner), possibly adding sheet metal cover between the top front of the grill to top of radiator (like the ones they sell with a bowtie emblem, etc.) to direct more air thru the radiator, lower temp thermostat, if not already done, fans, water pump pulley changes. All sorts of options possible with a little research..some good ideas have been previously presented here..take a look /search.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 20, 3:07 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

What hinges are you considering?

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE THE POWER..... AND IF YOU USE THAT POWER BAD THINGS ARE GOING TO HAPPEN!!

Mike Lewis street 572

Cale Aronson
Black Magic clutches

Cam by UDHarold
Menscer Motorsports

TRZ

CEAutoelectric

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 20, 8:26 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post

Post a picture of your ride and engine compartment, may help spur some ideas.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.

70 (SOLD)

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 20, 1:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculated Risk View Post
I have a fiberglass hood and fenders from Glasstek on my 67. It's a considerable weight savings. But the fenders required inner braces to make them match and hold the contour of the door body lines, so some fabrication is required

Rick,

Is your hood hinged or pin on? 99% of the time Iím at the track by myself and hood removal and install (Ď71) would be a PITA and risk scratching stuff up on a windy day. Been looking at making braces/brackets for glass fenders to support hood hinges. Could end up with the weight cancelling out though.

Jason Gore
AKA DragRacer
Naturally Aspriated 450 SBC - 915 HP / 714 lb-ft
3370 lbs
1.36 - 60', 5.93 @ 116.7 MPH - 1/8th
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Cant get pics to post on here unfortunately
I do have coated headers....sure would be nice to figure something out to keep a few plug boots cooler. THey dont touch but still singe 1-2 here and there.
Running the inner fenders and rubber seals. Have considered either ditching those and fabbing up something light/that looks clean and give more room or glass.

Keep the idears coming....lighter I can get this the better. Not up for adding power but removing weight is just as good. If im creative doesnt have to cost that much. Came close but decided to get my 1500 back on the road

Hinges would be whatever came with the glass hood?

Quote:

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 6:47 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragRacer View Post
Rick,

Is your hood hinged or pin on? 99% of the time Iím at the track by myself and hood removal and install (Ď71) would be a PITA and risk scratching stuff up on a windy day. Been looking at making braces/brackets for glass fenders to support hood hinges. Could end up with the weight cancelling out though.
Pin on, but I bonded and fiberglassed inserts to the bottom side so I could bolt it to a set of lighten stock hinges. I got sick of constantly removing the hood. It has worked well for close to 2 years now.
DragRacer likes this.

The 7.99 at 173mph pass:

8.02 at 171mph:

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 6:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Rick, how much weight did you save with the switch to fiberglass fenders and hood compared to the OEM parts?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 3:19 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dell72 View Post
Rick, how much weight did you save with the switch to fiberglass fenders and hood compared to the OEM parts?
I really don't know. I never weighed anything, but i'd say 20 lbs per fender if a 67 fender is 25 lbs the glass fender is 5lbs.

I haven't had a steel hood on the car since 1998, so it's hard to guess that one. Probably at least 20lbs lighter.

The 7.99 at 173mph pass:

8.02 at 171mph:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in