Start Retard for MSD Ready To Run Distributor - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
John

Start Retard for MSD Ready To Run Distributor

I want to lockout my timing but need a start retard to prevent kickback. Unfortunately it looks like all the start retard units MSD makes have a 2 wire hookup to the distributor but my distributor (MSD Ready to Run) has a 3 wire. I'm also running an MSD 6 box. I just can't imagine MSD doesn't make something to work with their ready to run distributor but I can't find it.

Anyone know of a product or a way to retard the timing when I start the car?

'70 Malibu, 454 w/Brodix Ovals, TH400 w/10" ATI, 12 bolt with 4:11's
2013 ZL1 Camaro, Ashen Gray Metallic, No Mods YET
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 10:27 AM
Team Member
mark

Re: Start Retard for MSD Ready To Run Distributor

On my car I have a toggle switch for the power wire to crane box,,spin it over then flip the switch,,no issues and simple
71350SS and DragRac69 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1965 malibu,03 silverado ss

M.J. 496
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

th350,4.11 3250lbs,+185 FOR ME
28x10.5 Hoosiers
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by mino65 View Post
On my car I have a toggle switch for the power wire to crane box,,spin it over then flip the switch,,no issues and simple
That's my backup plan .

I'm concerned I will forget to use it and have mashed up teeth

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 10:59 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

You can always just knock a few degrees out for the street, say like 4-5* then crank it back in on race day. You will still get all the benefits of the locked-out timing and wont notice the slight loss of top-end power (on the street).

PS - Consider a stronger starter if you haven't already. I'm running a used zz502 starter on my 502 and it cranks the engine over easily with locked out timing. I dont think its anything different that comes on GM engines. I'm only 9.8:1 though.
WHT/73 likes this.

*69 SS 502 EFI /224-228* HR/9.8:1/T56/3.90/ 4000lbs RW 11.5/124mph
*96 Stang 6.0 turbo 10.5/135mph (9.13 ET w/E85 and 16psi) **SOLD**
*2011 Mustang GT premium
*61" Scag Kohler 22hp 7mph
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 1:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

I had tried to use the MSD 8984 but it wasn't a successful venture. It worked well enough for the retard function but the car would simply stop running at the most inconvenient times for no reason. MSD told me it was my wire routing but
that was not the case. It didn't matter how the wires were routed, the car would shut off when it would shut off, meaning sporadically. Disconnected the unit and it ran fine. I tried 3 of them and they all did it.

'66 SS Chevelle

bored small big block
performance to be determined.
91 octane special.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 2:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

This?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8680/
VinceS427bb likes this.

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE THE POWER..... AND IF YOU USE THAT POWER BAD THINGS ARE GOING TO HAPPEN!!

Mike Lewis street 572

Cale Aronson
Black Magic clutches

Cam by UDHarold
Menscer Motorsports

TRZ

CEAutoelectric

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 2:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-CHVL View Post
You can always just knock a few degrees out for the street, say like 4-5* then crank it back in on race day. You will still get all the benefits of the locked-out timing and wont notice the slight loss of top-end power (on the street).

PS - Consider a stronger starter if you haven't already. I'm running a used zz502 starter on my 502 and it cranks the engine over easily with locked out timing. I dont think its anything different that comes on GM engines. I'm only 9.8:1 though.
To be honest I'm not addressing the real problem...my converter is too tight and unless I run at least 20* of initial timing it stalls when I put it in gear. Due to money and my one car garage I'm just trying to figure out a quick, cheap fix.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 3:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by aukai View Post
I looked at that unit too. Not sure how it works...I'm assuming I can dial back to 1 when i start the car to retard the timing and then crank it up to 15 once it's started to get my full initial timing. Can anyone confirm? Will it still let the distributor advance per the set curve?
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 20, 8:06 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bob

How small is the converter and what are the cam spec and cubic inch engine?

68 malibu 402 cid w/iron ret ports
[email protected] 1.47 60ft so far
[email protected] 1.452 60ft more to come!
Support our Troops!!!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 20, 9:29 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Use a single points distributor and remove the springs to the weights...
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 20, 11:15 PM
Tech Team
Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednecks70 View Post
I want to lockout my timing but need a start retard to prevent kickback. Unfortunately it looks like all the start retard units MSD makes have a 2 wire hookup to the distributor but my distributor (MSD Ready to Run) has a 3 wire. I'm also running an MSD 6 box. I just can't imagine MSD doesn't make something to work with their ready to run distributor but I can't find it.

John
Did you lockout the distributor. When you started it. Did the engine kick back ?

Matthew 22: 37-39
R.I.P. Mike Romeo

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
John

Yes, I locked the timing and started the car...it bent the crap out of the starter bolts and trashed the threads.

Converter is a 10" from ATI. They originally sent me an 8" and it was way too close for the street. Just need to find a happy medium.

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 7:50 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bob

Eng size & what camshaft are you using

68 malibu 402 cid w/iron ret ports
[email protected] 1.47 60ft so far
[email protected] 1.452 60ft more to come!
Support our Troops!!!
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 9:14 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednecks70 View Post

If you are using a 6 box then you can use the start retard box part number 8984. It would go between the distributor and 6 box on the white points wire.

Points wire from distributor goes to retard box, retard box has an output wire that goes to the white points wire for msd box.

Lay the two sets of instructions next to eachother and you will see how it works.

1967 Chevelle Malibu 4 door

The 7.99 at 173mph pass:

8.02 at 171mph:

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 9:54 AM
Team Member
mark

here is my setup,,clear toggle is to ign box,,push button to spin and flip switch to start,,2 fingers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0826 switch.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	614038  

1965 malibu,03 silverado ss

M.J. 496

th350,4.11 3250lbs,+185 FOR ME
28x10.5 Hoosiers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in