Who says your Hot Rod won't tow.... - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 6:34 PM Thread Starter

Who says your Hot Rod won't tow....

SBC Just keeps on Rolling…. And Pullin’
In 2015 Bobby Bammann of Bammann Racing Engines in NJ had a customer that needed an engine for his 1954 Chevy Truck….in full Rat Rod. The truck is built on top of a custom $25,000 Art Morrison fabricated frame that is fully bagged for ride and comfort. Customer wanted a solid power plant that would idle at 800 rpm, but have some “get up and go” using old school mouse power. So a SBC 427CID 4.125 x 4” stroke was selected. A Dart SHP block was used with a forged rotating kit. A set of AFR210 heads “out of the box” capped with Super Vic intake and an Ultra 750 completed the induction. Bammann used Straub Tech for the camshaft and lifters. Straub supplied a camshaft that is .612/570 244/248 on a 108 LSA with a set of 4708 Morel Ultra Pro Hydraulic rollers that would be used with the OEM Spider and Dog-bone system from GM. With compression set at 10.5 to 1, the big mouse made 581HP at 6100 and 594#/ft at 4700…..we don’t know when the engine breaks 500# ft as the dyno doesn’t read that low!!!!
The engine was stuffed in the truck and off the customer went racking up over 60,000 miles on the truck till June of 2019 when the plan changed for the truck…grandpa was taking his grandson on a trip around the United States in the truck……Pulling a 27’ 7600lb trailer!!!!!!!!!!! Remember this is a Rat Rod….built to run around town and burn rubber….it wasn’t built to Haul loads…it was built to Haul Butt!!! Grandpa consulted with Bammann and after some advice, a hitch installation, and a full tank of pump gas…..the adventure was on….
Bammann got a call a few weeks later when the pilot and copilot got to Rockies and engine seemed down on power. Bobby gave them a jet change and timing change that he was comfortable with to help with the loss of power. The next time the phone rang it was a tech out in Las Vegas and he had some questions about the engine combination for tuning reasons of the new Holley Terminator System he was installing!!! There was one thing that was puzzling the tech….all cylinder were 170psi of cranking compression except for number 1….it was 220 psi. Bammann hypothesized that intake valve must be closing sooner on that cylinder for some reason and was the reason for the increase cranking compression. Since the engine wasn’t missing, it wasn’t a concern at the time. Down the road Bammann would realize how correct he was about closing early.
Terminator installed, the family vacation of exploring the US continued. From July 3 to December 15th the pilot and co-pilot logged over 10K miles in the “transformed” hotrod now tow truck. Bammann and owner both agreed after 4 years and 70K miles on the SBC, it was time for a rebuild. During the rebuild Bammann found the reason for the 220-psi cylinder. The intake lobe on number 1 was in failure mode. The worn lobe had lost nearly all its lobe lift with around .080” left, but nothing on the heal of the cam lobe was warn. So, the engine had lost power but since nothing was gone from heal of the lobe, the lifter never lost preload and the engine was able to continue without a “miss”.
Looking back, Bammann feels the lobe was probably going when the first call at the Rockies came in. The amazing part is the Grandpa and Grandson kept on rolling just like the engine did.
Bammann is in the process of freshening the “big mouse” right now the emphasis on “towing” since Grandpa and Grandson are thinking Canada now. One thing Grandpa told Bobby….” you use the same parts in that engine again because I know I won’t get stranded”
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	70kmorel3.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	613780   Click image for larger version

Name:	70kmorel4.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	613782   Click image for larger version

Name:	70kmorel2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	613784   Click image for larger version

Name:	SBCAFR210GTA244.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	613786  

Click image for larger version

Name:	70kmorel.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	613788  
427L88 and Diabel1969 like this.

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 6:57 PM
Tech Team

Very cool. I can’t imagine what his fuel costs totaled out to be. What do you think was the route cause of the failure? I’m always interested in the why on performance parts. Regardless pretty amazing feat on a sbc of that caliber.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 7:01 PM Thread Starter

Re: Who says your Hot Rod won't tow....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71malibuu View Post
Very cool. I can’t imagine what his fuel costs totaled out to be. What do you think was the route cause of the failure? I’m always interested in the why on performance parts. Regardless pretty amazing feat on a sbc of that caliber.
Cam lobe failure.....core mfg emailed me back and said he would use a billet next time. I told him the engine builder nor I ever thought this thing was going to get the "workout" it did!!

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 7:51 PM
Tech Team

Your not kidding that’s pretty amazing it didn’t take the lifter and all kinds of other shiny things with it. Quality lifter for sure. I’m debating swapping mine to a hydraulic, and putting your solids in my turbo motor. I’ll be in touch soon as I’ll be sticking with what works.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 7:57 PM
Senior Tech Team

70k is pretty impressive for what it did imo.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 7:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71malibuu View Post
Your not kidding that’s pretty amazing it didn’t take the lifter and all kinds of other shiny things with it. Quality lifter for sure. I’m debating swapping mine to a hydraulic, and putting your solids in my turbo motor. I’ll be in touch soon as I’ll be sticking with what works.
Yes, Quality engine builder in Bobby Bammann and quality parts.

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 8:43 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jarad

That's impressive and will something the grandson will never forget.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 9:53 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstraub View Post
Yes, Quality engine builder in Bobby Bammann and quality parts.
Maybe, but it looks as though that cam isn't in the block where it supposed to be, almost looks like some lifters MAY have been coming into contact with the adjacent lobes when running! Just a guess, hard to tell from photos!

With things that "close" the cam end-play might have had some effect here also?

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P,S, After doing this stuff "daily" it becomes easy to lose sight of some of the necessary "check-points", you can become very complacent at times, taking much for granted and overlooking some important very items!!

Sept. 2019 Drag-Week Winner - N.Y. Legal Streeter - 1956 Chevy Bel-Air 7.23 @ 196+ @ 3800#
Best time to date-11/2019 7.00 @ 204+ @ 3800#
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 11:40 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

How cool it must have been to cross the cross the Rockies in that thing, towing a trailer & hearing that thing wail under load (or purr, this is grandpa now.)
Torture tests & endurance tests are interesting on these large small blocks. Builders originally were holding their breath because getting 400 cubes from the SBC bore spacing left little room between bores. A 427 even moreso. The Dart castings must be good. And the builder

I'm digging the theme on that truck. Does Grandpa wear python boots?

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

TC Gold #120

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 1:24 PM Thread Starter

Some have asked:
Turbo 400 with 3.55 Rear gear. 2 OD units stacked.... .78 an .56 on OD gears.

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 1:46 PM
Tech Team

“With compression set at 10.5 to 1, the big mouse made 581HP at 6100 and 594#/ft at 4700…”

Bhah...everyone here knows ya need a 454 truck motor w/peanut heads, 8.6 compression and an Edelbrock carb for those kind of #’s !

😁. j/k...Sweet set up
Thanks for posting 👍
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 2:22 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelysalty View Post
“With compression set at 10.5 to 1, the big mouse made 581HP at 6100 and 594#/ft at 4700…”

Bhah...everyone here knows ya need a 454 truck motor w/peanut heads, 8.6 compression and an Edelbrock carb for those kind of #’s !

😁. j/k...Sweet set up
Thanks for posting 👍
Come on everybody that has seen your posts know your 396 with some 360cc rec heads and single plane(as long as its not a edelbrock) with a dominator will have 1000hp
rp930 likes this.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 2:34 PM
Tech Team

Chevelle 1969

😁 !
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 1:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstraub View Post
Some have asked:
Turbo 400 with 3.55 Rear gear. 2 OD units stacked.... .78 an .56 on OD gears.
Probably didn't use OD much when towing though.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 20, 6:43 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Man, that is a fugly cam lobe, and unusual in how it wore.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in