540 take 3 - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 4:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bill

540 take 3

So hopefully 3rd times the charm. I ran the 540 all last summer and after the final cam change it ran pretty good. Sometime last fall I noticed a popping sound in the exhaust and sounded like a valve issue so I ran a compression test and #6 had 0 psi. Pulled the head and found a burned exhaust valve and loose valve guides. The exhaust guides were way loose and the intakes were starting to get loose. So trying to be thorough I put the head back on with checking springs to recheck the rocker arm geometry. The intake checked out right on (using the Foxwell video) with the contact pattern right at .060. The exhaust was off center toward the exhaust port and the pattern was a bit wide. But the length came out the same as when I set it up a year ago. So even though the pushrod is the right length, the pattern on the tip of the valve is wide and off center. My understanding is as long as the pattern is in the center 1/3rd of the valve it's ok so if that's the case I just need to narrow up the pattern. I tried going about .050 shorter and longer on the pushrod to see if it would narrow up the sweep but it made no difference. It seems like some use different (setback) rocker arms. But I would think that would just center the roller more not change sweep. I also read that on BBC a lot of times it's the intake that's off but my intakes look good? Also why are my intake guides loose when the pattern looks good on them? Makes me wonder if I have more than one issue. I will attach pictures of the patterns on the valve tips shortly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

540 BB
10 to 4 comp.
Brodix Race Rite BB-2 Plus heads
Edelbrock RPM Air Gap
Quick Fuel 950 CFM Carb
Lunati Voodoo HR 231/239 @ .050, 600/600, 110 LSA
Johnson 2116 BBR lifters
Hooker Super Comp 2" primary headers
Tremec TKO 600 .82 overdrive
3.73 Posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 5:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bill

Pattern https://imgur.com/gallery/TpzjEKO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

540 BB
10 to 4 comp.
Edelbrock RPM Air Gap
Quick Fuel 950 CFM Carb
Johnson 2116 BBR lifters
3.73 Posi
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 5:38 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: 540 take 3

how many miles did you put on them. Adjustable guideplates?

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 5:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
how many miles did you put on them. Adjustable guideplates?
About 3000 miles. Yes, adjustable guide plates. The heads came assembled from Brodix. Before I put them on I took them to my machine shop and they checked the guide clearance and that was ok. I don't think they checked the run out though.

540 BB
10 to 4 comp.
Edelbrock RPM Air Gap
Quick Fuel 950 CFM Carb
Johnson 2116 BBR lifters
3.73 Posi
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 7:04 PM

I would replace with the Brodix's better guide. The stock heads come with the std guide.

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 7:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstraub View Post
I would replace with the Brodix's better guide. The stock heads come with the std guide.
My machinest is getting the Manganize bronze guides I think those are the better ones? I still feel like I should do something with that exhaust side with the sweep and position of the pattern on the valve. I guess the question is what?

540 BB
10 to 4 comp.
Edelbrock RPM Air Gap
Quick Fuel 950 CFM Carb
Johnson 2116 BBR lifters
3.73 Posi
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hennke View Post
My machinest is getting the Manganize bronze guides I think those are the better ones? I still feel like I should do something with that exhaust side with the sweep and position of the pattern on the valve. I guess the question is what?
The reason we came out with the rockers we use is for the best sweep pattern for BBC's with aftermarket heads. That's the reason AFR says what they do about rocker geometry. We used the rockers several Brodix heads. If you want 1 of each to mock up I don't mind sending you 1 of each. It's eye opening.

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 7:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bill

What about my intakes? They seem to be about right? Doesnt look like I need different rockers for intake? However I obviously would buy a matched set, dont think I want different brand rockers on intake and exhaust.

540 BB
10 to 4 comp.
Edelbrock RPM Air Gap
Quick Fuel 950 CFM Carb
Johnson 2116 BBR lifters
3.73 Posi
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hennke View Post
What about my intakes? They seem to be about right? Doesnt look like I need different rockers for intake? However I obviously would buy a matched set, dont think I want different brand rockers on intake and exhaust.
Offer stands.....I'd try both and see the difference.

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 8:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bill

Ok, heads are still at machine shop so once I get them back I will order a set and give it a try.

540 BB
10 to 4 comp.
Edelbrock RPM Air Gap
Quick Fuel 950 CFM Carb
Johnson 2116 BBR lifters
3.73 Posi
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 10:21 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

Thx Chris for being willing. Stuff like this is why Chris gets talked up here a lot.
shovelrick likes this.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 10:27 PM
Tech Team

Sorry to hear about your troubles. That thing sure has been challenging. Iím curious how loose were the guides? Did the shop measure clearance?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadknee View Post
Sorry to hear about your troubles. That thing sure has been challenging. I’m curious how loose were the guides? Did the shop measure clearance?
Exhaust was bad loose, no point in measuring them. Intakes were too loose to run so changing them too. Looks like I might need a valve or 2 also. Funny thing is the intake pattern looks good. I was really surprised they were loose.

540 BB
10 to 4 comp.
Edelbrock RPM Air Gap
Quick Fuel 950 CFM Carb
Johnson 2116 BBR lifters
3.73 Posi
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 11:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

Bill I'm also sorry to hear of the trouble your having, I'm also hoping 3rd times the charm for you

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 9:04 AM
Senior Tech Team

chris what about the moldstar 90? Guides
opinions? Can you sell them?

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in