AFR 305 rebuild & port... Who? - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 1:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

AFR 305 rebuild & port... Who?

Looking to have my AFR 305 heads rebuilt and ported. not sure if they need guides and seats but a good check over on that end. As well full tilt porting job, these AFR 305 heads are a old cast from 2007, they are 'as-cast' chambers.

Can anyone recommend someone or for that fact any venders chime in if they can take on the task.

1968 Beaumont
540 BBC + 15psi Boost via Single Garrett GTX
Stock looking, and fairly stock sounding
HP and ET not determined yet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 1:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Re: AFR 305 rebuild & port... Who?

Given your location it would be wise to try to locate someone in Canada.

'66 SS Chevelle
91 octane special
first day out
[email protected]
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 3:55 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

We can do any of the work needed at any level of performance. We have several CNC programs already in house that may fit the need. It's all going to depend on your combination and what you're looking to get out of it. If the shipping isn't an issue, give Straub a call.

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
Straub Technologies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 4:16 PM
Tech Team
Kerry

The cost for shipping to the US is a small price to pay for having the heads done right IMO. Once material is taken away, it's not so easy or cheap to put it back to make the ports work properly.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 5:07 PM

If we can help let us know. Once we have the heads we will know what they need and you get a hard quote on cost.

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 20, 11:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

If you haven't already, make sure that you mill crankcase vent holes.

I have 5,000 miles on my angle milled and chamber worked 305's; and when I had them re-done, 4 valves had to be replaced. The valves weren't bent but almost like they were dimpled in the seat area. There was also flaked aluminum in the seats. I don't know where the aluminum came from. I did open up the valve reliefs in the pistons, but I can't imagine how that aluminum could have gotten into the valve seats. He also smoothed the ports, and he said that there was some very rough edges in those ports. All this to say, you should have aftermarket heads checked and/or reworked before installing.

'69 Chevelle SS ("NOT" ON THE ROAD NOW!
)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ
T-56 Magnum trans with hydraulic McLeod RST
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 20, 2:14 PM
Tech Team

My guy John in Toronto can do it. If you want I can pm you his contact info. I know his gm 074 heads out flow your aft heads by a good amount. I don't know how to post pictures but can email to someone who can or your your email address.

They have there own line of small block chevy and ls head casting and starting to work on there own line of big block casting. They hope to have some production units with the year.

RH
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 20, 3:28 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
If you haven't already, make sure that you mill crankcase vent holes.

I have 5,000 miles on my angle milled and chamber worked 305's; and when I had them re-done, 4 valves had to be replaced. The valves weren't bent but almost like they were dimpled in the seat area. There was also flaked aluminum in the seats. I don't know where the aluminum came from. I did open up the valve reliefs in the pistons, but I can't imagine how that aluminum could have gotten into the valve seats. He also smoothed the ports, and he said that there was some very rough edges in those ports. All this to say, you should have aftermarket heads checked and/or reworked before installing.
When I did Crazy Davey's 509 they had put angle milled 305's on a stock ZZ502 short block and all the valves were hitting the pistons. Because of the angle milling, the valves were no longer in the same location as the pockets and had put a pretty substantial ding in the pistons. No bent valves, amazingly, but needless to say, it wasn't right. New aftermarket pistons didn't have that problem since they had bigger valve pockets.

dtrubey and jeffs68 like this.

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
Straub Technologies

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 2:11 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
When I did Crazy Davey's 509 they had put angle milled 305's on a stock ZZ502 short block and all the valves were hitting the pistons.
Mine weren't hitting but you could see light through the clay when I checked them. I checked them thanks to Davey and his problems he had. Gosh I miss his postings.
steelcomp likes this.

'69 Chevelle SS ("NOT" ON THE ROAD NOW!
)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ
T-56 Magnum trans with hydraulic McLeod RST
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 4:47 AM
Tech Team

HI
If u were going to send them USA. Send them to Tony Mamo air flow guru previously employed by AFR. He has had big influence on at least a few of there heads .

/www.mamomotorsports.com/
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 10:25 AM
Tech Team

If you do what to ship to the usa look at vortec pro he not really far and has a good reputation.

RH
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 2:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

Harry's in Ames Iowa. They have a fast turn around and do great work. Guys like gary stinnett use them
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 2:35 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

If I were having someone in the USA do them, I would send them to Scott Foxwell or Tony Mamo. Dr J seems like a legit porter as well. Can't forget Eric Wag...something from TC.

What Scott did with Crazy Davey's 509 with 305 heads was very impressive. 380 cfm @ .700 and if I recall correctly they came out to be around 311 CC's.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone in Canada, let alone Calgary/Edm area that is an experienced head porter on BBC heads.
steelcomp likes this.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 2:39 PM
Tech Team
Kerry

Just remember it isn't just the raw flow numbers that lets a head make power.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 2:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Yea there really isn’t anyone local for such a task, maybe rebuild but not port work that I know off.

Ultimately as my engine is a BB turbo combo with lift under .600 I am not too concerned for anything above that. I am really on fence with swapping these out for a set of large ovals, 290/300cc sized. It seems they really have bigger flow numbers under .500 lift mark. Only reason I am considering rebuilding the afr 305 is because I have them and the manifold already.

Angle milling is out as it would complete screw with the alignment of all the turbo piping.

1968 Beaumont
540 BBC + 15psi Boost via Single Garrett GTX
Stock looking, and fairly stock sounding
HP and ET not determined yet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in