Performance Our High Performance area

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 20, 9:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage
Re: Another pulley exploded.

Like Jeff said "Scratch & Dent" for $115 IMO it's too much $, I'd either get OEM at GM parts or JY? or the brand Mr. 4 Speed is running, CVF ? same as the scratch & dent but new

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 20, 10:06 AM
Gold Member
Gene

SO I hate to give away my local stashes, but if you folks call over to Bob Harris at Camaro Specialites in East Aurora NY , Bob has BARRELS full of GM oem pulleys. I got my new big deep groove alt pulley there as well. Maybe not barrels, but a good stash of them....

Some of you may have your own "local stash", and its a great place to look for those old , well made, GM pieces.

I have it easy with single groove short pump early bbc. You can use my name if you call over to Bob's. He or Craig will answer the phone. Good people.
RAIDER SS and carpoor like this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 20, 10:08 AM
Tech Team
Lew

Garage

If the pulley breaks again I would look into that balancer causing something (harmonics). Your not even running a radiator fan (electric fans) which can put stress on things.

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 20, 10:10 AM
Gold Member
Gene

For sure, I would have had my cheap chicom mag base indicator on it already. The Moroso ought have lasted. ,

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 20, 12:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

What pulley did you have that let go? Was it stamped steel or billet aluminum? If solid, maybe the mating surface isn't flush and that is putting stress on it cracking it.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 20, 2:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

The broken pulley was a stamped steel unit. I’ll be putting a solid billet pulley on the crank because I’m going to be using a belt driven fuel pump in the very near future. The CFv 3 groove. Ok let that is supposed to be high speed built/balanced. I also have a new fluidamper I’ll be installing. I guess it doesn’t pay to buy cheep pulleys. The Moroso May have been a fake. I got it on eBay a while back for 35 bucks.
427L88 likes this.
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 20, 3:33 PM
Tech Team

Look into March pulleys.USA Made and billet.
Your part number is # 7121get it thru kegs or summit. I run one on my 548. Keeps standard ratio and its deep grove V to. Dont use the ones that slow down pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170726_185635_1578943907295.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	3.51 MB
ID:	613486  
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 20, 5:49 PM
Team Member
Ed

Garage

I went to a 1 " smaller diameter billet crank pulley to reduce fan noise, less strain on the accessories by the significant reduction in belt speed and eliminated belts throwing off. Probably would help in this setup.

OLDED - It's STOCK if it's made by GM and it fits!

*65 Elky, Gen VI 496 BBC, TH400
*59 Vette, 283/270 hp. T5 5 spd., 4:11 posi.
*Harley - 06 Street Bob
*Life Member - Team Chevelle & Team ElCamino
*Peach State Chevelle Member
*Retired June 1, 2014****
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 2:05 AM
Tech Team
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71malibuu View Post
The broken pulley was a stamped steel unit. Iíll be putting a solid billet pulley on the crank because Iím going to be using a belt driven fuel pump in the very near future. The CFv 3 groove. Ok let that is supposed to be high speed built/balanced. I also have a new fluidamper Iíll be installing. I guess it doesnít pay to buy cheep pulleys. The Moroso May have been a fake. I got it on eBay a while back for 35 bucks.
I'd search the site for opinions of Fluidamprs before I put one on.
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 8:55 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Good job on the patch up...
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 9:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Yah I’m just going to weld the 9 nuts together and use it as is. Should be worth about 7 hp.
In all seriousness do the above recommended pulleys wok with a belt driven fuel pump? Are there any particular brands that are better than others when it comes to a belt driven fuel pump? I’m going to have to start posting parts before I buy them to eliminate the chances of purchasing parts that are known junk. I’m just about to add a 300 kit direct and a 150 on a plate. Fuel issues are not something I want anything to do with at 6500rpm and all kits on. I also despise the sound of an electric pump grinding away on a street car. On a side note I got the turbo manifolds made up for the Camaro and will be dry fitting them this weekend if schedule allows. I’m in the process of building a new garage, just got the foundation pored 30x50 with a man cave upstairs, and I’ll be doing the rest so free time is an oddity lately. Being so busy 12-14 hr work days, spending hours researching specific parts and how well they work seems to be more of a put me to sleep thing instead of a learning thing as of late.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 9:58 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71malibuu View Post
Yah I’m just going to weld the 9 nuts together and use it as is. Should be worth about 7 hp.
In all seriousness do the above recommended pulleys wok with a belt driven fuel pump? Are there any particular brands that are better than others when it comes to a belt driven fuel pump? I’m going to have to start posting parts before I buy them to eliminate the chances of purchasing parts that are known junk. I’m just about to add a 300 kit direct and a 150 on a plate. Fuel issues are not something I want anything to do with at 6500rpm and all kits on. I also despise the sound of an electric pump grinding away on a street car. On a side note I got the turbo manifolds made up for the Camaro and will be dry fitting them this weekend if schedule allows. I’m in the process of building a new garage, just got the foundation pored 30x50 with a man cave upstairs, and I’ll be doing the rest so free time is an oddity lately. Being so busy 12-14 hr work days, spending hours researching specific parts and how well they work seems to be more of a put me to sleep thing instead of a learning thing as of late.
Out of curiosity why a belt driven pump and not an electric?
Seems to create more issues than just using stock stuff with electric
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I can’t stand the sound of electric on a street car. Plus mounting it below the tank and all of the logistics don’t go with the stock look I’m after. “ with the hood closed”.
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 20, 12:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

Factory pulleys are prefered unless you use billet. No matter what you use you need the correct ratios. I have lots of pulleys and ended up going with CVF serpentine setup. Perfect alignment, never needs tightening and has not came. Plus they look great and the price is good. Great customer service.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 20, 1:45 PM
Tech Team
Kerry

For a mechanical a holley 12-454-20 will feed to the 750 hp range without issue. Brian Gooding (Drag Week winner? runs one on his car, no regulator). For pulleys I would look at March, but do not run the smaller underdrive crank pulley if you street drive your car. Reducing water pump speed and alternator speed will cause heating issues, and charging issues. It's a very small amount of HP to gain versus the issues which come up. I worked through both engine temp and poor charging at idle/stopped at lights by changing my underdrive pulley to a std size. I also recently helped someone with a heating issue when driving slow and in stop/go traffic by going to the proper size pulley. With more water turbulence from spinning the water pump faster, his heating issue went away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in