Fuel tank or fuel cell? - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kirk's67SS
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 20, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Laporte Indiana
Posts: 133
Fuel tank or fuel cell?

Didn't see a fuel system section so I'm gonna ask here. I'm close to dropping the body back on the roller. My question is do I go with a tank from Tanksinc or a drop a fuel cell in the trunk? I see they are both 20 gallon and priced different. I will be DDing the car when the weather is good. Going to run E85 as well with a ProSystems carb and mech fuel pump on the motor.
91c1500sleeper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 20, 1:05 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottawa, On, Canada
Posts: 4,935
Garage
Re: Fuel tank or fuel cell?

Todd
when my 50+ yr old Gas Tank had to be replaced I went with a stock like replacement
of a 24 Gal Holley Sniper EFI Fuel Tank w Pump
https://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/19-105/10002/-1
also Removed the Mech Fuel Pump & installed a BlockOff Plate
went with new Russell Braided Feed & Return Lines & Ends
https://www.jegs.com/i/Russell/799/632080/10002/-1
Holley # 12880 Fuel Pressure Regulator https://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/12-880/10002/-1
Russell # 650310 Fuel PSI Gauge https://www.jegs.com/i/Russell/799/650350/10002/-1
Installed a Fuel Filter before & at the Fuel Regulator to Carb http://www.jegs.com/i/Earls/361/230106/10002/-1
plus a Metal Fuel Filter from NAPA https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/NGF3033
was installed on the Feed Line back 1/2 way along the Frame Rail

I run a 950 cfm Pro Systems carb and I drive it when the weather is nice on the Street/Hwy/Track

Todd some questions ;
1. what size is the Carb
2. do you do any Hwy trips
3. SBC or BBC
bradley67 likes this.

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kirk's67SS is online now  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 20, 8:07 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rick
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Langhorne, Pa
Posts: 4,223
Re: Fuel tank or fuel cell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91c1500sleeper View Post
Didn't see a fuel system section so I'm gonna ask here. I'm close to dropping the body back on the roller. My question is do I go with a tank from Tanksinc or a drop a fuel cell in the trunk? I see they are both 20 gallon and priced different. I will be DDing the car when the weather is good. Going to run E85 as well with a ProSystems carb and mech fuel pump on the motor.

Not sure on your budget, but Rick's has nice stainless tanks which is a good thing to have for a DD on E85 in my opinion.

1967 Chevelle Malibu 4 door


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


The 7.99 at 173mph pass:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


8.02 at 171mph:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Calculated Risk is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Laporte Indiana
Posts: 133
Re: Fuel tank or fuel cell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk's67SS View Post
Todd
when my 50+ yr old Gas Tank had to be replaced I went with a stock like replacement
of a 24 Gal Holley Sniper EFI Fuel Tank w Pump
https://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/19-105/10002/-1
also Removed the Mech Fuel Pump & installed a BlockOff Plate
went with new Russell Braided Feed & Return Lines & Ends
https://www.jegs.com/i/Russell/799/632080/10002/-1
Holley # 12880 Fuel Pressure Regulator https://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/12-880/10002/-1
Russell # 650310 Fuel PSI Gauge https://www.jegs.com/i/Russell/799/650350/10002/-1
Installed a Fuel Filter before & at the Fuel Regulator to Carb http://www.jegs.com/i/Earls/361/230106/10002/-1
plus a Metal Fuel Filter from NAPA https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/NGF3033
was installed on the Feed Line back 1/2 way along the Frame Rail

I run a 950 cfm Pro Systems carb and I drive it when the weather is nice on the Street/Hwy/Track

Todd some questions ;
1. what size is the Carb
2. do you do any Hwy trips
3. SBC or BBC
It's going to be an 850 CFM Venom, yes I plan on some highway trips to different car venues in the area. BBC with a TKO600.

I ended up ordering a Tanksinc tank, pickup and straps the other day. I already have the mechanical pump for the motor. My hang up now is do I run metal fuel line or the appropriate bi-rubber line that the E85 won't eat through?
91c1500sleeper is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 1:35 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottawa, On, Canada
Posts: 4,935
Garage
Re: Fuel tank or fuel cell?

I would think that running a Metal Stock type fuel Line with the Bi-rubber in certain spots would be fine

I went the Route I did as I am looking down the road to go EFI
specifically a Holley Sniper TB https://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/550-516K/10002/-1
https://www.jegs.com/p/Holley/Holley...25601/10002/-1

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kirk's67SS is online now  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 10:06 AM
Tech Team
David
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 86
Re: Fuel tank or fuel cell?

I had a 1st gen Aeromotive Stealth tank in my 71 and the fuel would slosh away from the pump at the track if I had less than 3/4 tank. My bowls would run dry a little after 1/8 mile. This is with around 700 hp and I run high 6s in the 1/8 (no 1/4 times yet because of the fuel issue.) On the street it worked just fine. The 2nd gen tank moves the pump to the middle of the tank, so fuel slosh won't be as much of an issue, but when I called Aeromotive they recommended the fuel cell if I'll be taking it to the track.

Edit: I went with a Stealth 340 20 gallon fuel cell and it worked perfectly with 5 gallons at my last 1/8 mile test and tune session.

1971 Chevelle SS
572 Merlin, 4L80, 12 bolt

1969 AMX
390, G-Force T5, Control Freak suspension

1980 Pinto wagon
2.3 turbo, Megasquirt, G-force T5, ported head, fabbed intake, big turbo

1970 Torino Squire wagon
Turbo Barra swap coming
The Flying Clutchman is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 10:55 AM
Team Member
George
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Upper Sandusky, Ohio
Posts: 2,676
Re: Fuel tank or fuel cell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Clutchman View Post
I had a 1st gen Aeromotive Stealth tank in my 71 and the fuel would slosh away from the pump at the track if I had less than 3/4 tank. My bowls would run dry a little after 1/8 mile. This is with around 700 hp and I run high 6s in the 1/8 (no 1/4 times yet because of the fuel issue.) On the street it worked just fine. The 2nd gen tank moves the pump to the middle of the tank, so fuel slosh won't be as much of an issue, but when I called Aeromotive they recommended the fuel cell if I'll be taking it to the track.

Edit: I went with a Stealth 340 20 gallon fuel cell and it worked perfectly with 5 gallons at my last 1/8 mile test and tune session.
My Tanks Inc tank does the same thing...may get rid of it and do afuel cell or sump a stock tank. Havenít decided yet.

'71 Malibu
3580 #, Carbed 6.0l LS swap in process
T-350, PTC 9" converter, 12 bolt, spool, 3.90 gears, MT ET R 275/60/15

355 [email protected]
125 [email protected]
388 Mud Motor- [email protected]
100 shot [email protected]
'72 Greenbrier Wagon: 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with 3.73
Geo71 is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 1:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Laporte Indiana
Posts: 133
Re: Fuel tank or fuel cell?

The tank arrived today. I'm gonna run it and see if I have the starvation issues ya'll mentioned. It's mostly gonna be a pavement pounder and see lil track time if any. I'm also gonna go with the nylon 3/8's fuel line and run it through the frame through a piece of 1/2 PVC pipe and clamp it on the inlet and outlet. Then use the barbed fittings and attach the proper alcohol apporved rubber lines to connect the sending unit, FP, filter(s) and the carb line.
91c1500sleeper is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 3:35 PM
Team Member
George
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Upper Sandusky, Ohio
Posts: 2,676
Re: Fuel tank or fuel cell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91c1500sleeper View Post
The tank arrived today. I'm gonna run it and see if I have the starvation issues ya'll mentioned. It's mostly gonna be a pavement pounder and see lil track time if any. I'm also gonna go with the nylon 3/8's fuel line and run it through the frame through a piece of 1/2 PVC pipe and clamp it on the inlet and outlet. Then use the barbed fittings and attach the proper alcohol apporved rubber lines to connect the sending unit, FP, filter(s) and the carb line.
On the street you wonít have any issues. Mine is fine on the street. Its on hard launches where mine has issues. There was no mention of not using it for drag racing when I bought mine....other than that its a nice tank, pump is quiet and looks nice.

'71 Malibu
3580 #, Carbed 6.0l LS swap in process
T-350, PTC 9" converter, 12 bolt, spool, 3.90 gears, MT ET R 275/60/15

355 [email protected]
125 [email protected]
388 Mud Motor- [email protected]
100 shot [email protected]
'72 Greenbrier Wagon: 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with 3.73
Geo71 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome