Performance Our High Performance area

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 20, 9:13 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage
Felpro 1027 & Brodix RR-R

I have 2 questions, does the 1027 gasket have an upside? I noticed between the outer to inner cylinders the steel on one side is 1 piece and on the other side it all looks the same, right now I have the side with an imprint of a bolt facing up and my 294 RR-R are 115 cc chamber size and where the dowel would go into the head is shaved down now, I'm using ARP head studs so are the dowels important or needed anymore? TIA, rick.
P.S. does it matter if only 4 studs are in for alighning the head then install the rest after the head is on? seems easier but I know easier isn't always better and I'm using Permatex High Tack for thread sealer, is that OK stuff? I have Permatex 300 and #1, dozen rolls of Teflon tape and Teflon paste, engine wont be ran for another month or so so plenty of time for sealer to cure, now that I'm looking at the pic does the HG look like it slid down?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200105_133923_Film3.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	612774   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200105_134025_Film3.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	612776  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 20, 9:37 AM
Senior Tech Team
Greg

Garage
Re: Felpro 1027 & Brodix RR-R

The head aligns on the dowels in the deck, so actually you should be able to set the head on the block with no studs, then screw studs in.

I don't think that gasket matters as far as what side is down, I always put it on like in your pic. High Tack should be fine on the threads as long as the block threads are in good shape and everything is clean. Some engine builders use yellow 3M gorilla snot on studs, some use High Tack, some use teflon dope and tape, some just teflon tape. I'm partial to yellow 3M on bolts or studs myself, but I have used High Tack on them before without any problems. And with studs, also like to drop a stop-leak tablet (can't remember proper name! we get them at Napa) in the water jackets before firing it up just in case a stud wants to try any of that leaking funny business.
shovelrick likes this.

Greg C.
1969 Chevelle Malibu
New, waaaay overcammed 496 "The Dud"
[email protected]
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 20, 9:57 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

From what I can see you have them like I use to i stall them. https://www.felpro.com/technical/tec...-a-gasket.html
shovelrick likes this.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4 wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 20, 10:01 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Big block head gaskets can only go on one way because of the bolt pattern. One side will be upside down compared to the other.

I dont think Hi Tack really is really designed to be a thread sealer but there are guys that use it. I would use a white teflon thread sealer paste. Permatex has it as does others.

When I use head studs I like to put some sealer in the actual holes before I thread the stud in. That seems to help seal them better than just putting it on the threads of the studs. That's hard to do after the head is on. Also you don't want the studs real tight in the block. Hand tight and then back them off a half turn or so.
shovelrick likes this.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 20, 10:33 AM
Senior Tech Team

I would use the dowels, and the gasket can only go on one way. Those heads are going to be a PITA if you ever have to remove them in the car. So at least if the dowels are there not only for alignment, they will also support the heads while you pull all the studs out to get the head off in the car.
shovelrick likes this.

Ray

Best pass 8.87 at 150.98 1.212 60'. Sold 3/2018

1970 SS 396 project in progress. Bought 5/2018
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 20, 1:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
I have 2 questions, does the 1027 gasket have an upside? I noticed between the outer to inner cylinders the steel on one side is 1 piece and on the other side it all looks the same, right now I have the side with an imprint of a bolt facing up and my 294 RR-R are 115 cc chamber size and where the dowel would go into the head is shaved down now, I'm using ARP head studs so are the dowels important or needed anymore? TIA, rick.
P.S. does it matter if only 4 studs are in for alighning the head then install the rest after the head is on? seems easier but I know easier isn't always better and I'm using Permatex High Tack for thread sealer, is that OK stuff? I have Permatex 300 and #1, dozen rolls of Teflon tape and Teflon paste, engine wont be ran for another month or so so plenty of time for sealer to cure, now that I'm looking at the pic does the HG look like it slid down?
Rick
Most has already been stated above but here's my take
Gaskets only go one way or the bores will not line up.
You must use the dowels to align the gaskets & the heads are not milled anywhere near enough to make a difference the correct dowel will work just fine
Studs can be a pain in the ass in a wet deck block. People use all kinds of stuff from the white Teflon to RTV with varying results
I have had the best results with Hylomar sealant on studs & you must let the solvents dry before installing the studs.
In lieu of that I would use Permatex Hi Performance thread sealant
I agree with putting one of the sealing tabs in each bank it should dry up any leakers
Do not even consider using Teflon tape...........
shovelrick likes this.

Mike (Wolfplace)
VISIT US AT

++Complete Machine shop & Dyno services++
================================
Welcome to the internet,,, "Experts" made daily
===
"Life is tough.,, Life is even tougher if you're stupid."
----John Wayne----

post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 20, 2:52 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage
I pulled the head off and found the gasket can't be flipped 😁 then tried removing valve springs with my lever tool and no good so going to borrow a real valve spring tool from my mech freind and dowels fit fine I was thinking they went in a diff spot 👍

post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 20, 2:53 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage
ill post pics later can't do it from phn

post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 20, 2:56 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage
ill also pull the 4 studs out re goop them and install finger tight 👍

post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 20, 9:41 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

I was able to remove the exh. spring by putting 4 pioneer head bolt washers I had under the rocker stud to give it more height, int. I used a 24" bar clamp to help release tension but I'll be using a real spring compressor to reinstall, I still need to set up my dial indicator, check geometry and start measuring for push rods, got a call and had to go back to work so hopefully back at it later today, I also put 4 head bolt washers under the int. stud, I'll post a pic of ARP vs Pioneer head bolt washers, big difference and I did see what Kevin was talking about being the threads in the head aren't very long so wondering why put a stud with longer base threads in? looks like exh. carbon would build up on the threads and make the studs hard to remove if ever needed and slow exh. flow?? I'll have to look at that again maybe it was int. side?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200106_121626_Film3.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	612860   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200106_153924_Film3.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	612862   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200106_153908_Film3.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	612864   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200106_120034_Film3.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	612866  

post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 20, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
I was able to remove the exh. spring by putting 4 pioneer head bolt washers I had under the rocker stud to give it more height, int. I used a 24" bar clamp to help release tension but I'll be using a real spring compressor to reinstall, I still need to set up my dial indicator, check geometry and start measuring for push rods, got a call and had to go back to work so hopefully back at it later today, I also put 4 head bolt washers under the int. stud, I'll post a pic of ARP vs Pioneer head bolt washers, big difference and I did see what Kevin was talking about being the threads in the head aren't very long so wondering why put a stud with longer base threads in? looks like exh. carbon would build up on the threads and make the studs hard to remove if ever needed and slow exh. flow?? I'll have to look at that again maybe it was int. side?
You will wear the valve guides out in short order with those rockers on those heads.

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 20, 2:34 PM

Rocker Position with correct length pushrod: Brand C rocker...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Geometrycomp.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	612892  

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 20, 2:36 PM

Rocker Position with correct pushrod length: Brand S
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	geometrystraub.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	612894  
shovelrick likes this.

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 20, 2:36 PM

After the guides go out and the hotrod needs to be repaired you going to empty the wallet for around $1200 in parts and labor.

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 20, 2:39 PM

Brodix Race Rites.....1500 miles....guides had clearance of .007". Needed guides, rockers, a few valves that were badly worn and new set of rockers. 3 years old.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tippattern.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	612896  

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in