Team Chevelle banner

Lunati or Clay Smith Hyd. Roller Cam for 463 BBC

14K views 43 replies 18 participants last post by  Dan1965 
#1 ·
I am building a 454 bored 40 over, will have approx. 9.7 comp ratio with 049 heads with 2.19/1.88 valves that have been unshrouded no porting, air gap intake manifold. This is what I am trying to achieve, not necessarily looking to make max torque or max HP. Car is a 69 Chevelle with a 700R4, 3.73 rear gear. This is just a cruiser not going to race.

1. torque converter wanting to stay under 2500 stall (or that's what I am thinking)
2. have good power along with good street manners
3. wanting to go EFI, (something like the Holley Sniper)

Cam #1 (Lunati Hyd. Roller)
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 290/300
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 232/242
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .578/.585
LSA/ICL: 112/110

Cam #2 ( Clay Smith Hyd. Roller)
Advertised Duration - 288/300
Duration @ .050 - 229/241
Lift .590/.570
Centers 105/113
LSA 109

Your thoughts on one of these? (or something different)
Thanks Wes

See less See more
#2 ·
Think either will work and fill your needs, dont think there will be any noticeable difference in a streetcar but with fuel injection wider lsa is considered to be better.

#4 ·
I would go with Chris’s (Straub) recommendation. Tell him what you want to achieve.

Reactions: dell72
#5 ·
#6 ·
Thanks guys for your comments and recommendation, I'll look into that Isky cam. :thumbsup:

Also something else I just thought about, do you guys see any issue with running this engine with any of the cams discussed on 91 octane pump gas?

#12 ·
BINGO!!! I fully agree. My brother has a mild 400HP 67 Chevelle, and when Harold Brookshire was still alive, he took my advice and called Harold up to get a custom cam from him, and to this day he says his car runs better than it ever did with that cam. Harold designed all of the Lunati "Voodoo": camshafts. You sholud call Lunati and ask to talk to their Tech guy Steve Slavik and tell him you want a camshaft recommendation. Steve is a good guy. He will help you out.

#21 ·
The 700R features a lock up converter.

Why not go with a little more stall, say around 3000?

#31 ·
SR or HR? If solid subtract about 8* to get the equiv HR, about as big as I'd recommend for street car. Dont forget OP has an OD trans.

Reactions: RR24
#34 ·
I’m running a gm block at .30 over and a +.25inch stroke. Half a point more compression than you. Stock gm heads. just basically smoothed them over very lightly. Wanted a certain # hp wise 600, and to be below or at 6k rpm. I Called Chris “straub” spoke with him for 10 minutes and he told me iv got the information I need from you and sent me my cam. After installing it I couldn’t believe how his black magic actually works. I dyno tested engine and the numbers were scary accurate. Not pushing any company over the other, but iv ordered cams from several and iv never had one this accurately duplicate my requested hp and rpm numbers. Iv had the valve covers off 5/6 times to check lash. I’ve adjusted them once at roughly 100 miles and They have been exactly correct since. Almost 1800 street miles and over 20 1/4 mile passes. Also Cruz and manners are very good.

Attachments

#35 ·
Only my experience with a similar carbureted recipe which I recently dyno'd, I will cast a vote for the clay smith grind. Chris said it would work and it did netting me 560hp and a smidge shy of 580 lb ft (560 at 3000rpm... 500rpm above your stated stall limit) with an incredibly flat torque curve clear out to 6000rpm

That said, others have yielded similar results with similar recipes and different cams. My only advice is dont over think it. Get some feedback from the Mfg's as stated and other members withe similar combos and pick and go. Good luck.

Reactions: RR24
#39 ·
I just let Chris supply the springs, retainers, locks,lifters, push rods, etc. Competitive prices and everything worked great. Mine has been in 4 years now.

#42 ·
Most don't have issues when you look at the data and facts. We shipping literally thousands of set of hyd lifters a year and the sets sent back for warranty are less than .6%....not even 1%. GM would take that in a heart beat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.