How much did you guys pay for header coating? - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 20, 1:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

How much did you guys pay for header coating?

I just got a quote for coating headers, and it was just for coating 8 separate primary tubes since they're for the two slip-fit collectors that I already have coated. And the quote was $555 which sounds pretty steep to me. I haven't had headers coated in a few years though. Has header coating work recently gone up drastically? I'm wondering if that steep price has something to do with some new tough EPA restrictions and the business costs involved.

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 20, 2:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Re: How much did you guys pay for header coating?

I had my SB headers done a year ago, Jet Hot was $200.
BillyGman likes this.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 20, 2:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

$7.99 can of high temp black paint.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 20, 2:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

https://jethot.typeform.com/to/JC3gVS?source=homepage
BillyGman likes this.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 20, 2:49 PM
Team Member
Jim

I had JetHot coat my bbc headers last spring with their Extreme 1300 silver coating for $300. Both inside and outside is coated. They came out very nice, but since it hasn't yet been a long time, I can't comment on durability. Turnaround time was like 10 days.
BillyGman likes this.

1975 Malibu (was grandma's straight 6 car)
496 BBC (AFR 265's, Straub Hyd Roller, Callies/SRP rotator, Eddy Air-Gap, AED 850)
Jake's TH400 / 3.73s
[email protected]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 20, 3:17 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

One more vote for JetHot. It's also not well known that JetHot warranties the coating for as long as you own the headers! I have had mine recoated for free from JetHot after 13 yrs.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
BillyGman and caminonut like this.

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 20, 3:18 PM
Tech Team
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
$7.99 can of high temp black paint.
I sprung for the 2000 degree stuff it was about 10 bucks.

My headers are 25 yrs old and the rattle can paint looks and surprisingly holds up pretty good with a touch up every couple of years

Brian
mr 4 speed and shovelrick like this.

66 chevelle
New Combo
10.2 comp
Straub ProMaxx heads
Straub solid roller
TH400/373
3815lbs
1.31 60'
[email protected]
[email protected]

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 20, 3:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Yeah that's what I thought. About $200 or $300. A guy just quoted me a price of $555 and that's only for 8 primary tubes, since my slip-on collectors are already coated. This is from a guy who sells the headers, so maybe he's including shipping prices to the place that coats them, but that still sounds crazy high. Maybe I should just tell him to send them to me bare and try and find a place in my home state that does it, where I can just drop them off and pick em up.

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 20, 4:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

For anyone that is in CT or Mass,try Central CT Coatings | Home

They coat exhaust manifolds for some some of the guys I race with in the SuperCar and FAST class.
I am sure they will coat headers too and their prices are reasonable from what I have heard.

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 20, 4:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
kevin

performance coating in Georgia... $200..
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 20, 2:56 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post
For anyone that is in CT or Mass,try Central CT Coatings | Home

They coat exhaust manifolds for some some of the guys I race with in the SuperCar and FAST class.
I am sure they will coat headers too and their prices are reasonable from what I have heard.
Great. Thanks!!!

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 20, 4:11 AM
Tech Team
Durand

Anyone ever use these guys?
They are from my neck of the woods

Exhaust Ceramic Coatings

65 Pontiac Lemans 468 BBC, t400, 4.10 12bolt

Best 1/4 mile. 11.43 @ 118 mph
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 20, 9:24 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGman View Post
Yeah that's what I thought. About $200 or $300. A guy just quoted me a price of $555 and that's only for 8 primary tubes, since my slip-on collectors are already coated. This is from a guy who sells the headers, so maybe he's including shipping prices to the place that coats them, but that still sounds crazy high. Maybe I should just tell him to send them to me bare and try and find a place in my home state that does it, where I can just drop them off and pick em up.
Try Central Connecticut Coatings in East Hartford. I recently had my Lemon's BBC headers done there for $250 as I recollect. They have always treated me fairly for all my powder coating needs as well as the three sets of headers I've had them metallic ceramic coat.
BillyGman likes this.

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 20, 10:09 PM
Senior Tech Team
Alan

Depends on what you get.... I have spent as much as $700 on coating from Jet Hot for 2000+ PURE CERAMIC, and then a color top coat. The stuff was THICK.. It was great on heat management, but would chip easy...and the finish so rough it would skin your knuckles changing plugs. I had a few other sets done from Jet Hot for about $400 ish. Recently we started using PolyDyne (local here in Houston) and they are also about $400 a set, but it seems to hold up better, especially on exhaust manifolds.

I recently bought new Hedman headers with their own super duper ceramic coating and they literally went dull in 20 miles. Seems like none of them stay looking good for long, no matter how much $$ you spend.
BillyGman likes this.

1971 Corvette
VortecPro 496"
T400, Tight 10" converter
3.36 gears, 3700lb raceweight
[email protected], 1.51 60'
STOCK APPEARING
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 20, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 cruiser View Post
I had my SB headers done a year ago, Jet Hot was $200.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldntBeHere View Post
Depends on what you get.... I have spent as much as $700 on coating from Jet Hot for 2000+ PURE CERAMIC, and then a color top coat. The stuff was THICK.. It was great on heat management, but would chip easy...and the finish so rough it would skin your knuckles changing plugs. I had a few other sets done from Jet Hot for about $400 ish. Recently we started using PolyDyne (local here in Houston) and they are also about $400 a set, but it seems to hold up better, especially on exhaust manifolds.

I recently bought new Hedman headers with their own super duper ceramic coating and they literally went dull in 20 miles. Seems like none of them stay looking good for long, no matter how much $$ you spend.
I know what you mean about them getting dull, but as long as they don't rust, that's fine by me. The better thing to do is get headers in stainless steel, but NOT the cheap 409 SS like many use. To make a difference I think you would need at least the 304 SS or even better yet, the 316 SS or 321 SS but most header manufactures don't offer their product in that grade of SS. Heck, inconel headers would really be the ultimate. I don't think inconel would ever rust. That's what the headers used on Indy cars are made of, (probably more for the durability to heat cycling than corrosion resistence) but I also believe that headers made from Inconel cost from $7k to $10K and I bet you would be hard pressed to finding any place that makes Chevele headers made of Inconel.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in