• 5 Post By Calculated Risk
  • 1 Post By Kirk's67SS
  • 1 Post By Stokerboats

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 19, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Double adjustable shocks

Who has the best price on double adjustable front shocks, I'm looking at something like QA1 or Viking for the front of my 71 Chevelle. The car runs mid 10's and I'm looking at spraying a small plate on the car next summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 19, 11:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jon

Re: Double adjustable shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dell72 View Post
Who has the best price on double adjustable front shocks, I'm looking at something like QA1 or Viking for the front of my 71 Chevelle. The car runs mid 10's and I'm looking at spraying a small plate on the car next summer.

Subscribed

72 Monte Carlo (3865 lb Street/sStrip Orange Monster)
6.09/113.75 mph 1.32 60 ft.
9.634/141.50 mph-best pass

79 Trans Am Super Street, Top Eliminator, Super Pro , Quick 16, Hot Rod
5.25 eighth mile
8's quarter mile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 19, 12:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

It is my understanding, so take it for what it's worth....QA-1 staff started Viking, QA-1 is deemed marginal, Viking has had no complaints, but has not risen to the status of the bigger companies, but seem to be good value with support. Then you start to climb the tree higher, AFCO, Santhuff, etc. There is Chris Bell at Kinetics, and Mark Menscer motor sports for custom applications, they will also sell you the basic shocks. To me rear shocks are very important, and may be more important. I went with the custom shock advice from Mark Menscer to be able to re valve if necessary, and individual application settings.
DragRac69 likes this.

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE THE POWER..... AND IF YOU USE THAT POWER BAD THINGS ARE GOING TO HAPPEN!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike Lewis street 572

Cale Aronson
Black Magic clutches

Cam by UDHarold
Menscer Motorsports

TRZ

CEAutoelectric

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 19, 8:24 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jason

Mike pretty much hit the nail on the head. I can tell you the adjustment on the double adjustable AFCO’s on the rear of my car are absolutely required for my car to get down the track.

I run QA1 R series on the front. So far they have been “good enough”. I honestly use them more for tuning for weather conditions to keep the car off the bumper.
B433 likes this.

Jason Gore
AKA DragRacer
Naturally Aspriated 450 SBC - 915 HP / 714 lb-ft
3370 lbs
1.36 - 60', 5.93 @ 116.7 MPH - 1/8th
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 19, 9:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Eric

The car currently has QA1 single adjustable rears with OG competition engineering fronts, stock style suspension set up front and rear. If I could only afford one pair of double adjustables would it be more beneficial to add them to the front or rear.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 19, 10:39 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

I put DA ViKings on the back of my wife's car. Pretty happy with the valving. Eventually I will put ViKing struts on the front of it.

If i had to choose Qa1 or Viking on the front of my car, I would go Viking.
66rat likes this.

1967 Chevelle Malibu 4 door

The 7.99 at 173mph pass:

8.02 at 171mph:

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 19, 10:46 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dell72 View Post
The car currently has QA1 single adjustable rears with OG competition engineering fronts, stock style suspension set up front and rear. If I could only afford one pair of double adjustables would it be more beneficial to add them to the front or rear.
Take it for what it's worth, but my opinion is that a rear double adjustable shock is more important in the rear of the car. The ability to adjust compression and extension independently is very useful in the rear of the car. Most of what I do on my car is rear shock adjustment.
dell72, Kirk's67SS, B433 and 2 others like this.

1967 Chevelle Malibu 4 door

The 7.99 at 173mph pass:

8.02 at 171mph:

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 19, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Thanks Rick, my plan was to change shocks and possibly switch out the Moog front springs for a pair of Santhuffs.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 19, 12:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jay

Its a 'spend it once deal' for sure. I went from Moroso 90/10 and 50/50s to out of the box AFCO fronts and custom Mencers for the rear. Then ended up needing Mencers up front to control the extension

'66 300 Deluxe 582ci F2
1148ft lbs 1100hp at the tire

5.55 124 1.24 60ft

5.33 130 1.22 60ft
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 19, 12:39 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Eric
I had Viking DA Shocks on the Rear, with Moog Stock Replacement Springs & Air Bags, of my 67 and they worked okay

Also had the Viking DA Shocks/Coil Overs on the Front but they did not work as good
as I did not do the Extension on the Top of them
good for Cruzin the Hwy & Streets but I was unable to get them Tuned enough to get the Frontend off the Ground

Here is a Pic of my Car on Launch with the DA Vikings and 10 lbs of Air in the Rear Passenger Air Bag & 5 lbs in the Driverside

I then changed the Front Suspension to Old School with Moroso Trick Springs / Comp Eng 3 Way Shocks Set at 80/20
and the Rear Suspension I only Replaced the Viking DA Shocks with Comp Eng 3 Way Shocks Set at 50/50

Here is a Pic of my Car on Launch with those changes and NO Air in the Air Bags and which Resulted in my New Best Time

Note that I need to put some Air in the Rear Passenger Air Bag to keep it from Squatting and therefore getting air under both Front Tires
mino65 likes this.

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 19, 1:39 PM
Team Member
George

UMI has 10% off right now till new years....I have the Viking DA shocks on the front and stock cheapie gas shocks on the rear. Been in the 10's with this setup as long as prep was decent. Probably should step up to adjustables for the rear at some point, just haven't needed to yet.

Using stock control arms in the front with moog 5230 springs, it is pretty difficult to install the shocks and adjust them....though I've only had to adjust them once...

'71 Malibu
3580 #, 6.0 LQ4, Summit pistons, Summit 8702 cam, vic jr, AED 750hp, msd 6014, 11.5:1 compression, NOS Cheater plate
T-350, PTC 9" converter, 12 bolt, spool, 3.90 gears, MT ET R 275/60/15

355 [email protected]
125 [email protected]
388 Mud Motor- [email protected]
100 shot [email protected]
'72 Greenbrier Wagon: 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with 3.73
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 19, 5:20 PM
Team Member
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculated Risk View Post
Take it for what it's worth, but my opinion is that a rear double adjustable shock is more important in the rear of the car. The ability to adjust compression and extension independently is very useful in the rear of the car. Most of what I do on my car is rear shock adjustment.
I've heard this at the track too. The amount of adjustability and options for valving get me a bit nervous about doing doubles in the back. I run a 275 60 15 at the dragstrip and a 295 45 18 for road courses (and street). I got it figured out (or think I do) with Strange single adjustables in the back. I run them on the stiff side with the 15s and stiffen them up more for the dragstrip. I run them on the soft side for daily driving with the 18s and stiffen them up for road courses. I'm not sure I'd get enough runs in to figure out separate compression/rebound settings (especially with all the variability in the driver's seat). Also, DA shock valving seems like it might be specific to drag/road course applications.

Curious if DA shock users could share your reasoning for changes you've made to each setting.

PS. Love watching 'Honk' take off the line!

69 Chevelle Malibu
427 sbc, TH400, 3.55 12-bolt
n/a best: 11.24sec/118mph
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 19, 8:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo71 View Post
UMI has 10% off right now till new years....I have the Viking DA shocks on the front and stock cheapie gas shocks on the rear. Been in the 10's with this setup as long as prep was decent. Probably should step up to adjustables for the rear at some point, just haven't needed to yet.

Using stock control arms in the front with moog 5230 springs, it is pretty difficult to install the shocks and adjust them....though I've only had to adjust them once...
Ramey @ UMI is good people. UMI sell's Viking Shocks, likely more than the competition does. UMI after sales service is pretty darned good in my experience.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

'66 SS Chevelle
91 octane special
first day out
[email protected]
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 19, 4:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadmanMark View Post

Curious if DA shock users could share your reasoning for changes you've made to each setting.

PS. Love watching 'Honk' take off the line!
Adjusting for track conditions, for me its mainly how much rear separation is needed and how fast you want to control the front end. We usually adjust extension and leave compression alone.

'66 300 Deluxe 582ci F2
1148ft lbs 1100hp at the tire

5.55 124 1.24 60ft

5.33 130 1.22 60ft
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 19, 6:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Russ

Garage

JRi makes good shocks, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in