565 is out - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 19, 2:41 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

565 is out

500 is installed. Our local track has been greatly challenged this year for higher powered street type small tired cars and for fear of making contact with the K rail at 110+mph. My last outing sealed the deal for me when at about 500' out I got the familiar fishtail effect which has become common place in 2019. Back in 2018 it was common to see 1.30 60' times but that just continued to worsen this past year. So the engine is in it's safe space for now so I can focus on the resurrected/freshened 500 incher. It got a torque plate hone, new rings, 2 new pistons, new bearings, new cam and timing set and a new oil pan. I dropped the sft Cam (because I could) in favor of a sr I want to try out. Final spec's on this one are [email protected] .228 @ 100. 176 @ .200 This on gets the 4/7 swap and has the cast gear and is ground on a 108lsa which installs 4* advanced.Lift is .668 using a lash of .024
Picked up a set of jesel sportsman rockers and a new set of springs for the cam'
Using my ported Dart intake with a Quickfuel 1050 annular booster 4150,
I think it's time to have a little fun vs working without any organization. Looking forward to where this thing finds it's happy spot.
More will be revealed>>>

'66 SS Chevelle
91 octane special
first day out
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 19, 3:30 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Re: 565 is out

Watch in 2020 the owners will repave the track.

Probably a good decision you made, and I am sure the 500 will be as much fun.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter:
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 19, 9:34 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Dan, what made the track go south this year? Is there cracked pavement or some type of depression or dip at the 500' mark? Is the track skimping on VHT prep? It's a shame that you have to base your engine choice on the downgrade of track conditions. Are there any other tracks within a 60 minute ride that you can race at instead which offer better race conditions?

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 19, 9:34 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokerboats View Post
500 is installed. Our local track has been greatly challenged this year for higher powered street type small tired cars and for fear of making contact with the K rail at 110+mph. My last outing sealed the deal for me when at about 500' out I got the familiar fishtail effect which has become common place in 2019. Back in 2018 it was common to see 1.30 60' times but that just continued to worsen this past year. So the engine is in it's safe space for now so I can focus on the resurrected/freshened 500 incher. It got a torque plate hone, new rings, 2 new pistons, new bearings, new cam and timing set and a new oil pan. I dropped the sft Cam (because I could) in favor of a sr I want to try out. Final spec's on this one are [email protected] .228 @ 100. 176 @ .200 This on gets the 4/7 swap and has the cast gear and is ground on a 108lsa which installs 4* advanced.Lift is .668 using a lash of .024
Picked up a set of jesel sportsman rockers and a new set of springs for the cam'
Using my ported Dart intake with a Quickfuel 1050 annular booster 4150,
I think it's time to have a little fun vs working without any organization. Looking forward to where this thing finds it's happy spot.
More will be revealed>>>
Dan.
What pan are you running ? Did you have to notch your frame ?
Haven't bought the pan for my car yet. Thanks

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 19, 11:13 AM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Quote:
... Our local track has been greatly challenged this year for higher powered street type small tired cars and for fear of making contact with the K rail at 110+mph. My last outing sealed the deal for me when at about 500' out I got the familiar fishtail effect which has become common place in 2019. ..>>>
I have a friend that had a racing Bantam that crossed up & hit the rail. He suffered a brain injury and his personality has completely changed.
Good on you for being cognizant of the threshold of control. Have fun with that 500!

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

TC Gold #120

post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 19, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Track was repaved when the new owner took over. The asphalt was supposed to be the track type stuff and maybe it is but it isn't getting prepped properly. The sweeper they use is basically a parking lot type sweeper which does a marginal
type of job considering where the track is located. It is dirty nearby. My last outing was a 6.16 @ 113 lifting and that's when I decided to pull the engine. I'd rather focus on enjoying the hobby than needlessly smacking a wall.

A "real" sprayer would go a long way toward making the track safer with the assumption the person doing the spraying would spray the whole track and not just the groove. A hand sprayer on the starting line does nothing down track. A friend told me he now understands what I meant about skating around on the big end as it happened 3 times for him on his last outing. He runs a 6.90 1/8th
mile at 99mph.

Beth, I'm using a Moroso 20416 pan with a 10774 oil pump and the pink spring. The 20416 fits very well in the '66 chassis with no mods required.
Mark Jones has an oiling system pan/set up which is likely far better than the out of the box stuff.

'66 SS Chevelle
91 octane special
first day out
[email protected]
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 19, 5:36 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jarad

What do you think the smaller engine will run?
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 19, 8:35 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoggs View Post
What do you think the smaller engine will run?
Ran 6.61 religiously with the flat tappet so likely if it's healthy it will be somewhere near there. I hope.

'66 SS Chevelle
91 octane special
first day out
[email protected]
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 19, 10:26 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1

I am unfamiliar with drag strip procedures.

What does "spraying the track" entail/mean?

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 19, 11:08 PM
Senior Tech Team

love to see some go pro action. Do you think a 565 is too much for a st car?

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 19, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewho1 View Post
I am unfamiliar with drag strip procedures.

What does "spraying the track" entail/mean?
There is a thing called traction compound. It is basically a glue designed to keep your tires from spinning. Good tracks have equipment which uses a tank and spray nozzles which in theory apply an even amount of compound across the lanes. The compound is usually thinned with alcohol that helps with the application but evaporates quickly leaving on the "glue". A clean track and a track where excess rubber is continuously scraped away in addition to the compound is key to good adhesion. This is the typical track prep although it may vary by venue.

'66 SS Chevelle
91 octane special
first day out
[email protected]
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 19, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
love to see some go pro action. Do you think a 565 is too much for a st car?
I only have a clip or so with the gopro but can't load it anymore for some reason. I had better results at Pomona and zero concern over smacking the wall. It does happen there too but the odds are much better on a real drag strip than a converted parking lot with marginal prep, I've been down both tracks with the 565 when the car drove down track like a Cadillac. That was quite some time back.

'66 SS Chevelle
91 octane special
first day out
[email protected]
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 19, 12:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jon

I know exactly what you mean about track prep.. I have run a motor in the Trans Am that is quite a bit slower (.2 most runs) for two years but it is more consistent because it needs less track prep. The new Monte smaller motor is because I wanted a project and have the old motor around in pieces all over the place. I wanted a winter project.

Funny we both ended up putting a stock block motor together again at the same time after all these years.

Good luck.

72 Monte Carlo (3865 lb Street/sStrip Orange Monster)
6.09/113.75 mph 1.32 60 ft.
9.634/141.50 mph-best pass

79 Trans Am Super Street, Top Eliminator, Super Pro , Quick 16, Hot Rod
5.25 eighth mile
8's quarter mile

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 19, 1:14 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1
Thumbs up Re: 565 is out

Quote:
There is a thing called traction compound. It is basically a glue designed to keep your tires from spinning. Good tracks have equipment which uses a tank and spray nozzles which in theory apply an even amount of compound across the lanes. The compound is usually thinned with alcohol that helps with the application but evaporates quickly leaving on the "glue". A clean track and a track where excess rubber is continuously scraped away in addition to the compound is key to good adhesion. This is the typical track prep although it may vary by venue.
Ah. I am aware of traction compound; just hadn't heard of spraying the whole track with it.

Thanks, Dan.

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 19, 1:18 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BBMonte View Post
I know exactly what you mean about track prep.. I have run a motor in the Trans Am that is quite a bit slower (.2 most runs) for two years but it is more consistent because it needs less track prep. The new Monte smaller motor is because I wanted a project and have the old motor around in pieces all over the place. I wanted a winter project.

Funny we both ended up putting a stock block motor together again at the same time after all these years.

Good luck.
Funny thing is when I went to the Dart block and the Lemon's headers I remade new brake lines and added Wilwood fronts. Now with the old headers and stock block I have to jump through Hoops again.Brake lines are close to the headers and the Oil pressure fitting on the Dart is behind the China Wall and the stock block fitting is above the oil filter. So I have to change a couple things to accommodate those things. I picked up a pair of 9" Vibrants because these old headers are pretty short compared to the Lemon's. I'm changing the trans cooler location so there's that. The one I had was partially block the radiator so I picked up one with a fan to install under the car where space permits. This is nothing more than an exercise in having more fun. In your thread I was thinking the cam is .680 but I chose a different lift for this build. It's a little less lift but is still 262 @ .050 which at .200 and .300 a little
more aggressive than was the flat tappet. It'll be interesting nonetheless. Due to the pistons just touching the exhaust side of the domes the chambers got touched a little for some room which cost a few tenths of compression. I should be able to use 91 with a touch of good stuff.

'66 SS Chevelle
91 octane special
first day out
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in