A few things to note about my 69 - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

 21Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 19, 6:23 AM
Team Member
Mark
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,160
Re: A few things to note about my 69

Love the color - sweet ride!!

I have a 69, sbc/th400, that is just over 4000lbs with me (160). It has AC, power windows, boxed frame, and other add-ons. 3500 seems pretty light.

Are you sure about the 24" tall rear tire? That seems short. A 275-60-15 is about 28". If the wheel is only 24", the 3.42 gears seem like a good choice for the street to me.

Also, if the heads are the AFR eliminator versions, they seem to work better with a little less timing than typical sbc's (34 vs 36) for me.

69 Chevelle Malibu
427 sbc, TH400, 3.55 12-bolt
n/a best: 11.24sec/118mph
MadmanMark is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 19, 7:56 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rick
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,586
Re: A few things to note about my 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Chvll View Post
Do LS motors weigh less? Iím curious to what the average weight of the chevelles are on this site. My 66 el Camino weighs 2800 lbs, I can see why guys use these as drag cars, super light!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And they have a better frame.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mrpaticular is offline  
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 19, 8:19 AM
Senior Tech Team
jeff
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: yukon ok.
Posts: 5,073
Re: A few things to note about my 69

Hard to get some standard transmission cars under 2.0 in the 60 foot.
I see a lot of that 2.0-2.1 60 foot times on stuff making 600 hp.
Sad deal for sure.
I tuned an engine with 210 AFR heads on a buddies 355" it was originally a 671 blown on Methanol with the AFR heads having 75cc chambers.
The 671 was junk so ended up running 9.0 compression and changed the blower cam out to a [email protected] .050 flat tappet hydraulic on a 106LSA .525" lift, shifted at 7500rpm and ran 91 octane fuel. Changed the gear and converter and exhaust also.
Best ET and MPH was with 42 total timing.
Those were before the Eliminator heads were around.
It was in a 220" wheel base dragster.
Ran 9.4 ET at 138. The 671 set up when it made a good pass went 8.4.

Play more with timing.
jeff swisher is offline  
 
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 19, 9:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
James
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 1,044
A few things to note about my 69

Thanks for all the reply guys, I enjoy hearing everyoneís experiences and what theyíre running. I believe the motor hasnít been tuned correctly, so itís down on quite a bit of power. Iím hoping I just changed that the other day. It feels better.

I could be off on my tire height. I will have to check again. I currently run a 275/17/40 nitto drag radial

I do think I need more gear, for sure.

My 60í times are terrible! Take a look


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
69Chvll is offline  
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 19, 9:41 AM
Team Member
George
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Upper Sandusky, Ohio
Posts: 2,755
Re: A few things to note about my 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Chvll View Post
Thanks for all the reply guys, I enjoy hearing everyoneís experiences and what theyíre running. I believe the motor hasnít been tuned correctly, so itís down on quite a bit of power. Iím hoping I just changed that the other day. It feels better.

I could be off on my tire height. I will have to check again. I currently run a 275/17/40 nitto drag radial

I do think I need more gear, for sure.

My 60í times are terrible! Take a look



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I donít think gearing makes much difference, unless maybe running 2:56ís...I went from 3:31 to 3:90 and had no change in et or mph...converter makes alot more difference imo.
If its spinning, get that taken care of first along with the tune.
69Chvll likes this.

'71 Malibu
3580 #, Carbed 6.0l LS swap in process
T-350, PTC 9" converter, 12 bolt, spool, 3.90 gears, MT ET R 275/60/15

355 [email protected]
125 [email protected]
388 Mud Motor- [email protected]
100 shot [email protected]
'72 Greenbrier Wagon: 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with 3.73
Geo71 is online now  
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 19, 11:27 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 14
Re: A few things to note about my 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
You are undergeared. 4.11 and big smiles, no LS is going to match your 406 unless you got ci nic ehead and too much $.

Go with the 4.56 (if you have the 2.66 first gear T56) and don't look back! I ran a 4.11, then a 4.30, and finally a 4.56 in my LS1/T56 Camaro. BY FAR the 4.56 was the best gear, just make sure to run a good aluminum driveshaft to eliminate highway speed vibrations.

Also....I dunno, the LS runs hard. My Camaro with only 346ci/5.7 and CNC ported 243 heads went [email protected] with a small 226/234 cam. At 3550lbs. Went [email protected] on a 100 shot. They are amazing once dialed in.
69Chvll likes this.
PileDriver is offline  
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 19, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
James
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 1,044
Re: A few things to note about my 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by PileDriver View Post
Go with the 4.56 (if you have the 2.66 first gear T56) and don't look back! I ran a 4.11, then a 4.30, and finally a 4.56 in my LS1/T56 Camaro. BY FAR the 4.56 was the best gear, just make sure to run a good aluminum driveshaft to eliminate highway speed vibrations.



Also....I dunno, the LS runs hard. My Camaro with only 346ci/5.7 and CNC ported 243 heads went [email protected] with a small 226/234 cam. At 3550lbs. Went [email protected] on a 100 shot. They are amazing once dialed in.


Thatís impressive for an LS1. Itís true you donít need a wild cam to get some awesome performance and drivability from LS motors.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
69Chvll is offline  
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 19, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
James
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 1,044
Re: A few things to note about my 69

I do have the 2.66 T56 and a .63 OD


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
69Chvll is offline  
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 19, 12:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
Justin
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 1,224
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PileDriver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
You are undergeared. 4.11 and big smiles, no LS is going to match your 406 unless you got ci nic ehead and too much $.

Go with the 4.56 (if you have the 2.66 first gear T56) and don't look back! I ran a 4.11, then a 4.30, and finally a 4.56 in my LS1/T56 Camaro. BY FAR the 4.56 was the best gear, just make sure to run a good aluminum driveshaft to eliminate highway speed vibrations.

Also....I dunno, the LS runs hard. My Camaro with only 346ci/5.7 and CNC ported 243 heads went [email protected] with a small 226/234 cam. At 3550lbs. Went [email protected] on a 100 shot. They are amazing once dialed in. <img src="https://www.chevelles.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Big Grin" class="inlineimg" />
LS’s are a fierce motor. Rode in my buddies car which is a very similar build to yours. Ported 799s which are the same as the 243s. A 226/231 cam .600/.600 lift, ls6 intake, 12:1 compression. Holy crap that thing freaking rips. T56 with 3.73s in the back we buried to 120mph In a blink of an eye and cruised with that steep .50 6th. It’s an LS2 block too.

1974 chevelle with 73 laguna nose sbc 357 Brodix IK180 heads Comp Cams XE274H Edelbrock RPM airgap 650 AED double pumper, M20 muncie, Truetrac with 3.73s
JF74chevelle is offline  
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 19, 4:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lincoln pk NJ
Posts: 3,506
Re: A few things to note about my 69

I'd give it all the timing it could/will take.
I was locked out at 37 and Matt was is locked out at 34 in his pass
This is how my old 10.5:1 406 in my sig and my son runs his 10.5:1 406 runs around. Both on 91 octane. Street and track.
Just for reference my son went 11.01 @ 120+ in 96* heat and 4* less timing then it Max HP at.
3.42's and 27" slick. 1.51 60's. He couldn't leave off idle, it would blow the slicks off. He had to foot it to 1500 then mash it and it would hook.
These are auto's tho, so I feel for you trying to launch with a stick!
Oh yeah, Sweet ride!
69Chvll likes this.

73 nova,3515#(all steel)Pump gas!(91octane)406ci N/A, best 1/4,1.45 '60,[email protected],10.6 @ 122.38, short shifting,NO tuning!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WHT/73 is online now  
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 19, 6:03 PM
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 58
Re: A few things to note about my 69

If you have mechanical clutch linkage, get a ClutchTamer.
If you have hydraulic clutch linkage, get a HitMaster.
HitMaster can 60' a little better than the ClutchTamer, makes launching with a stick on radials easy.

Grant
69Chvll likes this.
sr530 is offline  
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 19, 6:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rick
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,586
Re: A few things to note about my 69

I ran a Super T 10 with a super shifter and center force dual friction with a 456 gear. 355 SB and 427 BB. Used the first offering of M&H Racemaster DOT tires. Shifted both at 6500, launched at 3000. The super T's eventually broke 1st gear where the main shaft intersects. Bad thing is street driving is slow.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mrpaticular is offline  
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 19, 6:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
James
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 1,044
Re: A few things to note about my 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHT/73 View Post
I'd give it all the timing it could/will take.

I was locked out at 37 and Matt was is locked out at 34 in his pass

This is how my old 10.5:1 406 in my sig and my son runs his 10.5:1 406 runs around. Both on 91 octane. Street and track.

Just for reference my son went 11.01 @ 120+ in 96* heat and 4* less timing then it Max HP at.

3.42's and 27" slick. 1.51 60's. He couldn't leave off idle, it would blow the slicks off. He had to foot it to 1500 then mash it and it would hook.

These are auto's tho, so I feel for you trying to launch with a stick!

Oh yeah, Sweet ride!


Thanks for the complement! Any idea on how much your rides weigh? Iím thinking about trying slicks on my next set of wheels. Iíd say my CR is about the same as yours.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
69Chvll is offline  
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 19, 9:39 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lincoln pk NJ
Posts: 3,506
Re: A few things to note about my 69

Mine 3550 my sons G body malibu 3600 with driver.

73 nova,3515#(all steel)Pump gas!(91octane)406ci N/A, best 1/4,1.45 '60,[email protected],10.6 @ 122.38, short shifting,NO tuning!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WHT/73 is online now  
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 19, 9:02 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lincoln pk NJ
Posts: 3,506
Sticky tires will definitely help lower your et.
This way you will be able to launch at a much higher rpm lowering your 60’/et.

73 nova,3515#(all steel)Pump gas!(91octane)406ci N/A, best 1/4,1.45 '60,[email protected],10.6 @ 122.38, short shifting,NO tuning!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WHT/73 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome