• 1 Post By 69ZL1
  • 2 Post By Bill Rose
  • 3 Post By 69SHEVL

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Bill

ZL-1 aluminum engine build

I'm building a new ZL-1 from the new GM crate big block and have a question if anyone has done this. I need to know the position that the bypass valve goes in under the oil filter, if I'm NOT running a remote oil cooler. Should it go in A, B, or C....

Thanks

von and 71350SS like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 2:22 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Re: ZL-1 aluminum engine build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rose View Post
I'm building a new ZL-1 from the new GM crate big block and have a question if anyone has done this. I need to know the position that the bypass valve goes in under the oil filter, if I'm NOT running a remote oil cooler. Should it go in A, B, or C....

Thanks

Likely B.
Check out January 2020 Hot Rod Magazine page 76

'66 SS Chevelle

bored small big block
performance to be determined.
91 octane special.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 8:42 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Bill

Dan, I just realized that hole B is larger than A or C and the bypass valve doesn't fit that hole. So it has to be either A or C ......I'l check out the Hot Rod article. Thanks for the
idea.....Here's a pic of the bypass valve...

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 10:12 AM
Tech Team

My guy John that was banned from here has a zl1 for one of his cars. He tapped and blocked his he said with 3/8 npt plug. Said with the expansive motor he didn't want anything going in the motor not filtered. My steel block l88 is that way too. He said it is very common to run no by pass. Just wondering what the rest of the motor is going to be here. Those are nice blocks but at 5000 plus i can't see it myself.

RH
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 11:33 AM
Tech Team
Mike

I went through that same issue/confusion about ten years ago when putting my engine together. I don't remember the configuration that solved the question, but if you still have questions I can go out in the garage and pull the filter off and look into that area. The engine needs an oil change anyway.
Bill Rose likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 11:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Engines aren't my area of expertise but I have never used a bypass valve and the engines I have bought didn't either. I trust my builder.

You're going to keep clean oil and good filters in this engine, right? If yes, there's no need to bypass oil.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 1:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Dan, I just realized that hole B is larger than A or C and the bypass valve doesn't fit that hole. So it has to be either A or C ......I'l check out the Hot Rod article. Thanks for the
idea.....Here's a pic of the bypass valve...

Way back when it went in the side of the block above the filter. U have a new in box GM bypass somewhere.

'66 SS Chevelle

bored small big block
performance to be determined.
91 octane special.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 1:30 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ZL1 View Post
I went through that same issue/confusion about ten years ago when putting my engine together. I don't remember the configuration that solved the question, but if you still have questions I can go out in the garage and pull the filter off and look into that area. The engine needs an oil change anyway.
Thanks for the offer Mike. That was mighty nice of you, but I think I have my answer. The bypass goes in the C position. I'll probably block it off, but good to know the right place to put it.
71350SS and WHT/73 like this.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 7:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Thanks for the offer Mike. That was mighty nice of you, but I think I have my answer. The bypass goes in the C position. I'll probably block it off, but good to know the right place to put it.
I don't know the answer, but I'm just glad to see that you're still around.

Looks like all is well if you're still building stuff.

You are missed.
DUKE 69, 71350SS and Postsedan like this.

Mike

My

AACA Senior Grand National
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 9:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

I'm pretty sure that you take the threaded filter nipple out and it goes up there. The other one goes in hole B, I think. Hole B is for the cooler, if i remember correctly.

There was a thread on this subject about 5-6 years ago. You could email Mike Lewis (Wolfplace). He can straighten you out.

'69 Chevelle SS ("NOT" ON THE ROAD NOW!
)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ
T-56 Magnum trans with hydraulic McLeod RST
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 11:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

Is there a reason to run a bypass in a hotrod?

64 Chevelle 496
64 F100 Street Rod with BBC /Chevy trapped in a ford body
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 19, 1:13 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

no, but you can't just leave it out. end up with no oil filter at all.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 19, 10:16 AM
Tech Team

Tom that is why i said earlier that you tap it with 3/8 npt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in