Tunnel Ram ? - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Tunnel Ram ?

Hello,
Anyone running a fabricated tunnel ram on 350 style Chevy, one Holley, on the street ?

If so, tell me about it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 2:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
andy

Buddy, to be honest that sounds like possibly the worst street setup ever, it would take forever to warm up, it would be a bear to tune and the vacuum would would be terrible on it, but what do I know, if you really wanna do it, go ahead
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 4:37 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Garage
Re: Tunnel Ram ?

I don't have experience with fabricated intakes but I have run tunnel rams and love them. Not only cool looking but good performance. They get a bad wrap for street cars for no reason. It is no different than the long runner plastic intakes that everyone runs on factory LS and Mustangs everyday.
DragRacer and 427L88 like this.

1969 Sport Coupe SS Tribute Cortez Silver 454 400TH

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 4:44 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SS454 View Post
I don't have experience with fabricated intakes but I have run tunnel rams and love them. Not only cool looking but good performance. They get a bad wrap for street cars for no reason. It is no different than the long runner plastic intakes that everyone runs on factory LS and Mustangs everyday.
There is a difference, the fuel on later model EFI engines is introduced at the base of each specific runner.

Steve R
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 4:52 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
There is a difference, the fuel on later model EFI engines is introduced at the base of each specific runner.

Steve R
We can argue differences in every example. I am just stating the fact that tunnel rams work great on the street and have for decades. Try one before you say they don't work.
StevenS, sstom66 and rp930 like this.

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 5:04 PM
Tech Team

Ran a 331 in my vega with 2 4s and m22. Ran really well. Didn't seem to ever be a problem other the normal cold and no choke stuff.

RH
69SS454 likes this.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 6:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Russ

Garage

A tunnel ram typically makes good power over 6K RPM but usually loses torque below that compared to dual plane manifold. Most street cars don't see 6K RPM often nor for long. For real street driving, a dual plane manifold is good but I admit lacks the cool factor of a tall tunnel ram. Can you make a tunnel ram work on the street? Sure. Will you be happy? Depends on how important torque is to you. If the car is mainly a show car, go for it! Another post mentioned low vacuum - I disagree with that. The idle and cruise vacuum will be determined by your cam not the manifold.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 6:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

69SS454,
Thanks, ever run tunnel w/single Holley ? If I took my Holley set up for common 2 plane air gap and put it on a tunnel, would you have any thoughts as to carb adjustments to make ?
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 6:54 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SS454 View Post
We can argue differences in every example. I am just stating the fact that tunnel rams work great on the street and have for decades. Try one before you say they don't work.
Iím not saying they canít be made to work, just that the example you used isnít similar. The single 4bbl the OP wants to use isnít going to help either in terms of looks or fuel distribution.

Steve R

Last edited by Steve R; Dec 7th, 19 at 6:54 PM. Reason: Z
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 7:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-226400/

This is what I’m looking at. I also prefer look of 2-4’s. Currently use 750 HP Holley DP. Can 2 small Holleys be dialed back enough to run smooth on 480HP, 383, 4:11, Muncie ?

Anyone used this intake ? Will my MSD RTR 8360 fit ?

Thanks
Rokker likes this.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 7:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

A pair of 390 Holleys might work ok on a traditional tunnel ram. That intake you linked to looks like hot garbage and I suspect it works just as good as it looks.
66SSFan and jeff swisher like this.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 7:47 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy the Cat View Post
A pair of 390 Holleys might work ok on a traditional tunnel ram. That intake you linked to looks like hot garbage and I suspect it works just as good as it looks.
I would guess it came on the slow boat from China. Look at the outer runners, what are the odds you will get anywhere close to decent fuel distribution?

Steve R
jeff swisher and Bonkerman like this.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 8:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks,
I would prefer comments from those who have actually run a tunnel ram. 👍
Rokker and kermitsass like this.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 9:47 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelysalty View Post
69SS454,
Thanks, ever run tunnel w/single Holley ? If I took my Holley set up for common 2 plane air gap and put it on a tunnel, would you have any thoughts as to carb adjustments to make ?
I ran a cast single four tunnel ram on a 350 hp Ford 302 in a '54 F100. I drove it for years with a 750DP without any driving issues during hot and cold weather. I also tried a borrowed Predator carb and liked it even better. I have also run a two four tunnel on a 400 sbc in a '46 F1 and a 350 sbc in a '53 Stude pick up both with a pair of 600 cfm Holleys. There are no special carb adjustments or tricks. Those old trucks can run a tunnel ram under the hood without cutting a hole in the hood!

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

69 SS454
Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in