Daily Driver 383 - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 19, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Wayne

Daily Driver 383

Basically, Iíd like to build a 383 for my Ď72 Chevelle Coupe. I want to setup this car as a daily-driver, with the most available ďarea under the curveĒ I can get from idle up to around 5500-6000 RPM.

Limitations for the build:
  • Stock Converter with 3:42 Rear Gear, 26Ē Tall Tires
  • Safe to run on 87 Octane (sometimes you I bad gas and I donít want to rattle the thing apart)
  • Will run power brakes, will run AC on hot Texas days
  • 2/3 length headers with 1 5/8 Primaries (long tubes hit speed bumps)
  • Long-lived valve train (hydraulic roller lobes mild enough to last as long as the rotating assembly)
  • Iíd like to keep the complete long block with Balancer and Flexplate under $6000

Here is what I was thinking
  • Short-Block: Factory Roller GM block with Forged 383 rotating assembly, Reversed dome -18cc pistons (just forged for durability/ detonation resistance).
  • Heads: AFR 195 Street Eliminator (65 cc chambers). Does bigger head and smaller cam make more since from a durability standpoint?
  • Cam: factory style hydraulic roller, struggling to figure what mildish cams would work best for the combo/needs. Should I contact Chris Straub? Who else (AFR didnít respond to me email)?

I think I want to use the Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 Fuel Injection system (seems like the nicest fuel injection setup for street car right now).

I havenít seen a crate engine that quite fits my bill (seems everyone is chasing max HP numbers and expecting you to run a loose converter).

Wayne W.
'71 "SS" resto-mod convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 19, 9:16 AM
Senior Tech Team
Lew

Garage
Re: Daily Driver 383

What overall compression are you looking say 9.5 to one you may have to play around with head cc size if going with a specific cc dome. Maybe you find a 15 cc negative dish and get an 68 cc head or run thicker gasket, etc.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 19, 3:56 PM
Tech Team

That’s a perfect thread as I’m doing the same over the winter for my ‘66, 383 capable for highway cruising including long trips and daily driver (replacing my 283 that has been very reliable and have never been afraid to drive it anywhere.)

I’m looking at the Blueprint 383 or the GM 350/385, both capable of doing what you mentioned, fairly mild cams for vacuum etc.

They both will be fine with a stockish converter 2-2400 range, they produce 400ft-lbs around 2400 or so! Not sure if the vacuum #s of each though.

I’ll be following this thread to see what the guys here are suggesting for you.

Good luck 👍

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 19, 6:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

I wanted a roller cam with mild lobes for my daily driver 357" Buddy owns a cam shop and I had him grind me a GM LT4 roller cam.
He ran that grind in a 355" he built and it ran very strong in a truck.
I had him grind mine a bit different than stock.
I went 228 duration on both lobes and had it ground on a 110LSA.
No regrets.
This is the basic grind below.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-24502586/
BossHogg69 likes this.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 19, 7:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew540 View Post
What overall compression are you looking say 9.5 to one you may have to play around with head cc size if going with a specific cc dome. Maybe you find a 15 cc negative dish and get an 68 cc head or run thicker gasket, etc.
I'm shooting for 9 - 9.5:1 hoping I can go with a 64-65cc chamber head and a reverse dome-piston that mirrors the shape of the head chamber (-18cc pistons seem popular). Depending on how deep the piston is in the hole, I'll try to pick the best head gasket to keep compression in check.

I see companies selling "power adder" short blocks with forged rotating assemblies and dished pistons. These can be found for around $3K, but I suspect most will be built with standard "dished" pistons. I understand a reverse dome piston is a better way to avoid detonation, so hoping I can find someone with that sort of piston in an "off-the-shelf" short block. So far I haven't seen the "perfect" short block, so considering having one put together. I don't know the best value rotating assembly kits that have these pistons, or if I am really right in all my thinking (hence this thread)

Close options I HAVE seen:

THIS short-block from Tri-Star seems promising. They told me these are forged -18cc DSS pistons. I think this means that these are the economy-line forged pistons and not likely to be the "reverse dome" shape I am hoping for.

The ATK Forged Short Block has -16cc pistons, fully forged rotating assembly but it seems like -18cc would be better.

Blueprint Engines sells s few short blocks, but the forged sets seem to be using brand new aftermarket blocks and pushing the price up.

Wayne W.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 19, 8:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Not sure if I can give you good advice since you want to run 87 octane.

Maybe dial back the timing on a combo I run.

I use a 10 to 1 compression 383 in my Dads 67 Chevelle. Car is a 4 speed with 3.55 gears and 27" tires.

I use a Harold Brookshire lobe, its a older lobe now, Harold passed away a few years back. Its 280/288 and 226/234 @ .050. I had it ground on a 108 lsa and installed it at 104 icl. Lift is .530/.530 on a 1.5 roller rockers. Cranking compression is right around 200 psi.

I used Edelbrock RPM intake a Holley 3310 for intake and carb. I used 1 3/4" headers as well.

The heads are a set of old Dart Conquest 200 heads that have been ported and have a 2.08 valve...kind of big for the street. I would use a 180 or 190 head for a street build if I could with 2.02 valves.

Timing is 18* with a 16* mechanical advance for a total of 34* at 2100 rpms. I run a can that adds 12* at idle for a total of 30*.

Runs nice and cool with a aluminum rad and dual fans that pull 2500 cfm with a 160 thermostat.

Let me know if I can be of any more help.

67 chevelle malibu / SS/ custom

Currently undergoing a metal work to remove all rust, if I ever get there.

Cant decide on prostreet or cruiser with a 4 speed.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 19, 9:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

This sounds like an engine that would be happy with Vortec heads.
Aaron likes this.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 19, 10:50 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

Build my motor but drop the compression.

ZZ383 or whatever they're calling it now is a good motor.

I'd stay away from Blueprint. Won't comment on ATK.

Don't underestimate the benefit of a custom convertor.

O/P may need to check his math or increase his budget if he wants to do EFI and AFR heads. (BTW. if using a smaller cam, look at some 383 builds with 180cc heads instead of 195.)

Good luck, regardless. These motors are a ton of fun.
BossHogg69 likes this.

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 19, 10:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasMalibu View Post
I'm shooting for 9 - 9.5:1 hoping I can go with a 64-65cc chamber head and a reverse dome-piston that mirrors the shape of the head chamber (-18cc pistons seem popular). Depending on how deep the piston is in the hole, I'll try to pick the best head gasket to keep compression in check.

I see companies selling "power adder" short blocks with forged rotating assemblies and dished pistons. These can be found for around $3K, but I suspect most will be built with standard "dished" pistons. I understand a reverse dome piston is a better way to avoid detonation, so hoping I can find someone with that sort of piston in an "off-the-shelf" short block. So far I haven't seen the "perfect" short block, so considering having one put together. I don't know the best value rotating assembly kits that have these pistons, or if I am really right in all my thinking (hence this thread)

Close options I HAVE seen:

THIS short-block from Tri-Star seems promising. They told me these are forged -18cc DSS pistons. I think this means that these are the economy-line forged pistons and not likely to be the "reverse dome" shape I am hoping for.

The ATK Forged Short Block has -16cc pistons, fully forged rotating assembly but it seems like -18cc would be better.

Blueprint Engines sells s few short blocks, but the forged sets seem to be using brand new aftermarket blocks and pushing the price up.
ATK is local to you in the DFW area (Grand Prairie). A friend at work purchased a stroker Mopar from ATK with very good results. Has driven it all over for several years now.

Jason Gore
AKA DragRacer
Naturally Aspriated 450 SBC - 915 HP / 714 lb-ft
3370 lbs
1.36 - 60', 5.93 @ 116.7 MPH - 1/8th
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 19, 10:41 AM
Senior Tech Team

Not say its perfect but I like the hotcam for general st performance. Manners are very good, lobes are gentle and wont tear anything up.
1.5 rocker, good head of choice, nice dual plane it will do what you want. Hotcam is a hair small but tq will be big.
Sure better stuff will be listed. Cannot stand the extreme type ramps, trendy names that blow tq out the tailpipe. Those are gimmicky cams that arent worth looking at.
With the gear/weight of your car you need to focus on torque.
BigBlockLover likes this.

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 19, 1:55 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Wayne

I do like the idea of using LT4/Hot Cam lobes to keep things conservative in the valve train.

I understand the HOT cam has extra exhaust duration to help out the relatively weak flow on LT1/Vortec head exhaust ports. Wouldn't the AFR heads favor a cam with a more balanced intake vs exhaust?

The CAM Jeff describes above seems pretty good to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff swisher View Post
...GM LT4 roller cam. ...I went 228 duration on both lobes and had it ground on a 110LSA.
I may have a bit more cam research ahead of me...

Wayne W.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 19, 2:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_69_malibu View Post
O/P may need to check his math or increase his budget if he wants to do EFI and AFR heads.
Thanks for the feedback. My $6000 target budget is for the short-block, heads, and valve train. In VERY round numbers:
  • 3000 - Short Block + Gasket Set
  • 2000 - Heads + Gaskets + Head Bolts
  • 1000 - Valve Train

I understand there's a lot more to spend by the time I have a new fuel system, EFI, cooling solution, etc...

Wayne W.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 19, 2:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Give Vortecpro a call. I thought he had built a 383 with vortec heads, but I found this one.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/13-...383-build.html

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 19, 3:10 PM
Senior Tech Team

Holy smokes is that stout for a mild combo.

What he says is really something to consider for those opting for the cheap ebay crate engines with that too good to be true warranty. THey arent doing anything Mark is to prevent any of that happening. Thats how a simple 383 can easily run 8k or more. BUT you should never have to worry about it for many thousands of miles. Not too many hot rod motors dont get taken apart within a yr/few yrs of weekend play formajor problems. Been there and bought a PAW shortblock assy many yrs ago.
1200 mi tore it apart cause it shook itself to death. Bad bearings, worst balance job on the planet.

Marks 383 is a tire roaster, dig it. Wish I could grow up and build something sensible Id probably enjoy more. But cant

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 19, 5:23 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 cruiser View Post

Mark (vortecpro) is a great guy. He supplied the Vortec heads running on my convertible (around 12-15 years ago). I was under the impression he's mostly sticking to his BB combo's now.

I can give him a call and see if he's interested in building a lower compression 383 long-block, but I don't think I could justify the expense of the kind of full-on custom build and tuning he describes in that thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VORTECPRO View Post
the typical engine build with dyno time takes from 100-130 hours in my shop

Wayne W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in