41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 59 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 19, 7:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Bob

Re: Torque Converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHT/73 View Post
Mark, ATIís not making them or they donít meet your specs anymore?
Who's MARK ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 19, 7:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Vortecpro
WHT/73 likes this.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #33 of 59 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 19, 7:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 cruiser View Post
Vortecpro
Ignore list !!!

post #34 of 59 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 19, 7:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasttime View Post
ignore list !!!
lol

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).
post #35 of 59 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 19, 8:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Bob

BillyGman I have lot's of time to sort through converter recommendations snow , ice , Canadian winter 6 months lol . I was curious what the quick here were running not expecting to buy converter specd on Chevelle forum.
post #36 of 59 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 19, 8:20 PM

Today's converters.

Everything from a 9.5" to a 13".

Customer doing 8's in a heavy car using our converter. Car runs faster than it did with a NLU PTC converter and drives better.
https://youtu.be/F527EJBFPBs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	received_427189537947035.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	609186  
mr 4 speed likes this.
post #37 of 59 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 19, 8:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jason

I don't build converters, but I have tested more than a few. My experience with Neal Chance Racing Converters was very good for custom converters and dialing in a converter for a combination.

https://www.racingconverters.com/

Jason Gore
AKA DragRacer
Naturally Aspriated 450 SBC - 915 HP / 714 lb-ft
3370 lbs
1.36 - 60', 5.93 @ 116.7 MPH - 1/8th
post #38 of 59 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 19, 11:02 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasttime View Post
BillyGman I have lot's of time to sort through converter recommendations snow , ice , Canadian winter 6 months lol . I was curious what the quick here were running not expecting to buy converter specd on Chevelle forum.
Bob, I'd like to think I'm somewhat knowledgeable about Torque converters, but I am not an expert. I DO have some experience with converters though. I can tell you about a converter I put on a 4,200 LB street/strip car I had, which gave me a .70 ET reduction with the addition of the converter alone, but also a stall speed increase of 600 RPM. But that was a Lock-up converter on a late model car. So that's a whole different ball game.

As it was brought up here earlier in this thread, keep in mind that your itended purpous/use for the car is of utmost importance, and like Chris Straub has often stated in the past, it's all about the combination and how it works together as a whole. Having said all that, I don't get to the drag strip as much as I used to, and it's only to your advantage if numerous board members continue to chime in here to share what they have, and what has worked for them.

Jason, (aka "DragRacer") has one quick car, and I've heard some other guys say postive things about neal chance converters like he just did in this thread. Another guy that comes to mind is no longer on this board that I know of, and he has sold his Chevelle several years ago. But that is Bob West, (the guy who called his Green 71 Chevelle "the green Weenie"). You might remember him. He had a 505cid engine in his car, and he used to race it often, and the car usually did wheels up launches and ran low 10's, (10.0's and occassionally high 9's in the cooler weather). But from what I remember, he had that car running very consistent, usually with ET's and 60 foot times only varying from run to run by hundreths of a second on skinny rear tires (9" wide and 10" wide radial slicks) with footbrake launches. He ran 1.33 second short times.

Bob told me a number of things about his car, and I remember that he raved about the ATI Racing torque converter he had in the car which he spoke of. It was an 8" Tree Master MRTconverter shown here in the link below....

Racing Torque Converters for Drag Racing and Street / Strip use!

Bob told me that the ATI Tree Master MRT was one of the ingredients that caused his car to launch consistently. He said that when he installed it, the difference was very noticeable. Although I cannot remember what converter he had in the car before he installed the Tree master MRT. The thing is that it states on the ATI webpage that I linked to above^ that the TreeMaster is intended for cars with Transbrakes, but Bob did not have a transbrake. He always launched the car off the footbrake according to what he said when he was on here. So although that converter might be intended primarily for transbrake launches, that doesn't have to mean that it cannot benefit cars that are launched with the footbrake. But you really would need to speak to a tech guy at ATI, and hit him with questions, and right part numbers down too.

Another thing you would want to ask them is if the 8" or 10" would be better for YOUR application. Every vehicle combination is different, and it's the tech guys' and sales guys' job at any given converter place to get it right as far as recommending what is best for your car. Many places have software that they use to punch in your vehicle spec numbers that will tell them what any given converter will stall at RPM wise, and probably what stall speed RPM is ideal as well. But it's an educated estimation on their part, and the better they are at it, the better the chance of them getting it right for you, the end user, and for your car.

Getting back to Bob West's Chevelle, he told me his engine was puting out about 700 HP, but that was an educated guess on his part. But he also took a good amount of weight off the car too. He told me he went as far as to remove things like the heater ducts and blower motor, etc, (although I don't remember if he had the seats out of it). But I'm merely using Bob's car as an example. But I'm guessing that your car is a full weight A-body, so my point is, that the fact that Bob West took a good amount of weight off his car, is indicative that there were obvious differences in his combination and what you might have, or some other guys on here. He also ran 4.10 rear gears. It sounds to me like you might be intending to use your car slightly more on the street than Bob may have used his car.

If I were you, I'd call a few converter places just to talk to them and get recomendations and prices. And I wouldn't be afraid to ask them plenty of questions that I had ready and written down on paper ahead of time. If they aren't willing to explain their statements to you, or to answer all your questions, or they get short with you, or cop an attitude, then they aren't worthy of your biz. I surewould NOT be afraid to politely and respectfuly ask them to explain the reasons for their recommendation once they yield one. IMO when you choose a converter, you should be able to give yourself reasons why you did, other than to say: "well self-announced expert Joe Blow at the converter place said I should use this one". That's JMO.

Vinny Laurita's 572 cid powered 70 Chevelle was also a high 9 second car that Launched incredibly hard but also and consistent. I saw that car run at the track in Lebanon Valley, NY. That car was a heavy 3,900 LB ride that ran consistent 1.3 second short times, but I do not know what converter he used, (probably one of the few things I didn't know about his car). Sorry for the long reply. I hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeshoe View Post
Today's converters.

Everything from a 9.5" to a 13".

Customer doing 8's in a heavy car using our converter. Car runs faster than it did with a NLU PTC converter and drives better.
https://youtu.be/F527EJBFPBs
Interesting Jake. Thanks for the pic. I used to race a strret/strip Panther car, (more street than strip) nd those cars are 4,200 LB tanks without driver. I don't know if that Panther is a full weight car, but judging by how the interior looks in that video, it might very well be. I bet he doesn't have the original Ford 8.8 rear in that car. Lotsa the full weight Panther cars end up swapping it out for a Ford 9" rear when they get up to the power level he must be at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragRacer View Post
I don't build converters, but I have tested more than a few. My experience with Neal Chance Racing Converters was very good for custom converters and dialing in a converter for a combination.

https://www.racingconverters.com/
I've heard good things About Chance converters. Since you're making the very respectable power you are with that small block mill, and without a power adder, I'm guessing that you're winding it up fairly high. Is it an 8" converter you're using with a high stall speed? I'm just curious because the numbers in your post sig are very impressive!
Kirk's67SS likes this.

post #39 of 59 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 19, 5:26 PM

You won't go wrong with Chance, ATI, PTC, UCC, Hughes or any of the companies that custom build a converter for you.

There are a few companies I'm not a fan of having seen inside their product. Lots of cookie cutter companies out there but for a typical street/strip deal not chasing the absolute fastest ET a cookie cutter converter is often fine.
BillyGman likes this.
post #40 of 59 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 19, 6:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Yours for my 200-4r seems to holding up fine Jake.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #41 of 59 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 19, 9:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGman View Post
I've heard good things About Chance converters. Since you're making the very respectable power you are with that small block mill, and without a power adder, I'm guessing that you're winding it up fairly high. Is it an 8" converter you're using with a high stall speed? I'm just curious because the numbers in your post sig are very impressive!
Billy,

My current Chance converter is an 8" steel/welded converter with a custom billet stator. Marty basically said my combo is a converter mfg. worst nightmare. Footbrake leave off idle (1500-1800 RPM) with a tunnel ram and 2x4 carbs with peak TQ at 6100 RPM.

Off the line the converter flashes between 5000-5400 RPM depending on weather and takes a while to reach peak TQ(right before 60'). Once the engine is in it's power band, it rips. Fall back RPM after a shift is in the 6600-6800 RPM range also depending on weather (1500' DA winter, 4000' DA summer). I shift at 8000-8200 RPM currently.

The end of this pass kind of gives a hint of the driveability. Definitely something I could live with, but cruising is not my current idea of fun. I sit in traffic 2 hours a day when I'm in the office and drive about 40,000 miles/year for work.

New transmission with aftermarket case, t-brake, and much less 1st gear is installed. With a much higher RPM and therefore harder leave, I'm pretty certain there is a good bit more left in it.
68Chevele likes this.

Jason Gore
AKA DragRacer
Naturally Aspriated 450 SBC - 915 HP / 714 lb-ft
3370 lbs
1.36 - 60', 5.93 @ 116.7 MPH - 1/8th
post #42 of 59 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 19, 2:09 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Billy,

My current Chance converter is an 8" steel/welded converter with a custom billet stator. Marty basically said my combo is a converter mfg. worst nightmare. Footbrake leave off idle (1500-1800 RPM) with a tunnel ram and 2x4 carbs with peak TQ at 6100 RPM.

Off the line the converter flashes between 5000-5400 RPM depending on weather and takes a while to reach peak TQ(right before 60'). Once the engine is in it's power band, it rips. Fall back RPM after a shift is in the 6600-6800 RPM range also depending on weather (1500' DA winter, 4000' DA summer). I shift at 8000-8200 RPM currently.

The end of this pass kind of gives a hint of the driveability. Definitely something I could live with, but cruising is not my current idea of fun. I sit in traffic 2 hours a day when I'm in the office and drive about 40,000 miles/year for work.

Go Pro pass 2 - YouTube

New transmission with aftermarket case, t-brake, and much less 1st gear is installed. With a much higher RPM and therefore harder leave, I'm pretty certain there is a good bit more left in it.
Nice pass, surprised they let you run with that busted windshield though. They are fussy about that where I race about stuff like that.
Kirk's67SS likes this.
post #43 of 59 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 19, 3:38 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Billy,

Go Pro pass 2 - YouTube

Jason, thank you for sharing that. Looks like a fun ride down the black top.

post #44 of 59 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 19, 9:30 AM
Tech Team
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGman View Post
Jason, thank you for sharing that. Looks like a fun ride down the black top.
Billy, don`t you ever sleep...

Glad to see ya back

Brian

66 chevelle
New Combo
10.2 comp
Straub ProMaxx heads
Straub solid roller
TH400/373
3815lbs
1.31 60'
[email protected]
[email protected]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #45 of 59 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 19, 1:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B433 View Post
Billy, don`t you ever sleep...

Glad to see ya back

Brian
Hey Brian, no I don't. I work nights, and this week I have my crazy psycho in-laws over and there isn't much sleeping for me at all until they leave. I can't wait til the holiday is over. This really sucks. I probably should just go get a hotel room by myself until they're gone
77 cruiser, B433 and Kirk's67SS like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in