Turbo 400 percentage loss or gain - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 19, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gary

Turbo 400 percentage loss or gain

Since racing this year is over, starting to think of new ways to go faster.. I was wondering if any of you have replaced the steel direct drum in a th400 and replaced it with a aluminum one, and gained any ET ? The stock drum is alot of rotational mass... I know they are pricey and not sure I'm going to do that but I do have a extra th400 laying around.. My car has already exceeded my expectations.. Now I want to see how fast I can with what I have to work with, without changeing anything major in the engine.. thanks Gary

1955 Chevy
496 bbc
best 60' 1.36
best ET 6.23
best MPH 110.67
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 19, 12:50 PM
Tech Team

Re: Turbo 400 percentage loss or gain

I have an NHRA person that hast tested turbo 400's, 350's, P/G, and a metric 200, all were pretty close except the metric 200 was a tenth and 1.2 mph faster. This guy is a widely known guy in stock and super stock and I went to High School with him, was at the top of his class and can run so far under the index he has to slow the car down. If anyone were to know he would. My own personal feeling is if you are running any kind of BB engine with a lot of torque the turbo 400 for me is the way to go. Mine went 24 years before I needed a rebuild and it still looked great inside, some of the clutches still had the part number on the disc faces.
hydro462 likes this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 19, 1:07 PM
Tech Team
John

Garage

I know it has nothing to do with your question, but back in my dirt car oval track days, we reduced drive train drag. REM gears were done to the R&P, also to the quick change gears, which I know you don't have, but every gear. I had the 2 speed trans rebuilt, and the 2 gears that were engaged in high gear, I had them REM. You can look at low drag for your wheel bearings, wheel seals. What weight oils in your rear end and trans. Take a look at your brakes, and how much drag that cause, maybe can do something about that. On our dirt cars, the rotors are turned to be not straight, so when you let off the brake, the high spot on the rotor kicks the pads off the rotors first time around, then ur off the pads down the straightaways. Just some things to think about. Guy can get pretty creative when you think long enough. Not really one big thing, but lots of little things add up. I heard 20hp gain just from rear end gears REM and wheel bearings, but I never did any testing to verify that. Good luck!!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 19, 1:29 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

I have two TH400's for my car. One has a 2.10 first gear straight cut gear set with an aluminum direct drum, the other is a stock helical 2.48 with a steel direct drum.

The 2.10 with the aluminum is slightly faster, a few hundredths, which is very minor.

I'll also note that with the 2.48 trans I have to remove additional timing in the launch ramp to stop the car from doing wheelstands with the additional gearing. So that reduction in power sorta levels out the 2.48 vs 2.10 gearing.

Keep in mind that aluminum drums can wear, mine is on it's last leg, the steel plates tear up the lugs inside the drum. Next time I go through the trans I will replace it with a billet steel drum for longevity.
Steve R and Kirk's67SS like this.

1967 Chevelle Malibu 4 door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The 7.99 at 173mph pass:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

8.02 at 171mph:

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 19, 2:00 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Chevele View Post
I have an NHRA person that hast tested turbo 400's, 350's, P/G, and a metric 200, all were pretty close except the metric 200 was a tenth and 1.2 mph faster. This guy is a widely known guy in stock and super stock and I went to High School with him, was at the top of his class and can run so far under the index he has to slow the car down. If anyone were to know he would. My own personal feeling is if you are running any kind of BB engine with a lot of torque the turbo 400 for me is the way to go. Mine went 24 years before I needed a rebuild and it still looked great inside, some of the clutches still had the part number on the disc faces.
He's not debating what trans to use, just what material to use in the direct drum of a TH400.

1967 Chevelle Malibu 4 door

The 7.99 at 173mph pass:

8.02 at 171mph:

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 19, 4:55 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Yeah Rick, wheeling out to the 330' and still running low 8's is pretty cool!
That must really suck being able to do that!

73 nova,3515#(all steel)Pump gas!(91octane)406ci N/A, best 1/4,1.45 '60,[email protected],10.6 @ 122.38, short shifting,NO tuning!

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 19, 5:07 PM
Senior Tech Team

Like Rick mentioned I also looked into trans parts and I kinda felt the cost and reliability wasnít worth the gain. My trans was too reliable to mess with so I never did it.
Steve R and WHT/73 like this.

Ray

Best pass 8.87 at 150.98 1.212 60'. Sold 3/2018

1970 SS 396 project in progress. Bought 5/2018
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 19, 7:25 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculated Risk View Post
He's not debating what trans to use, just what material to use in the direct drum of a TH400.
Oh sorry, if that's the case look into John Kilgore's stuff. He makes lightend internal drums that won't break the bank.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 19, 8:51 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Won't break the bank? Have a friend that runs Kilgore 400's. Gonna have to really step up to be able to afford one of those.

But it's true, they do have very low mass internals.
TAG55 likes this.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 19, 10:21 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyno jonn View Post
Won't break the bank? Have a friend that runs Kilgore 400's. Gonna have to really step up to be able to afford one of those.

But it's true, they do have very low mass internals.
Last time I checked Kilgore's light weight drums were cheaper than the Billet aluminum ones.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 19, 11:50 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

All I know is he has one of Kilgores trannys that has the sheet metal internals and odd ball gear ratios. Can't really comment on his separate parts prices for drums and such.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 19, 6:31 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG55 View Post
Since racing this year is over, starting to think of new ways to go faster.. I was wondering if any of you have replaced the steel direct drum in a th400 and replaced it with a aluminum one, and gained any ET ? The stock drum is alot of rotational mass... I know they are pricey and not sure I'm going to do that but I do have a extra th400 laying around.. My car has already exceeded my expectations.. Now I want to see how fast I can with what I have to work with, without changeing anything major in the engine.. thanks Gary
This is more expensive than the direct drum modification but pretty interesting

ATI Racing Transmissions - TH400 Drag Racing Transmissions

Turbo 400 locker up converter. I have no experience with it but I like the idea

Thanks Joe
hydro462 likes this.

"... the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their view to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their view." Dr. Who, 1977
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 19, 7:22 PM
Tech Team

Garage

How about going to a built TH350????
mino65 likes this.

'72, 385 sbc, Voodoo roller, 219/227; .515/,530 lift; AFR 180cc Eliminators, RPM Air-Gap, 770 Avenger, TH350 trans, 12 bolt 3.42's, Eaton Posi, TCI 2000 stall, Pypes 2 1/2" X-pipe system w/Race Pro's
Vehicle weight: 3390 lbs
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 19, 7:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculated Risk View Post
I have two TH400's for my car. One has a 2.10 first gear straight cut gear set with an aluminum direct drum, the other is a stock helical 2.48 with a steel direct drum.

The 2.10 with the aluminum is slightly faster, a few hundredths, which is very minor.

I'll also note that with the 2.48 trans I have to remove additional timing in the launch ramp to stop the car from doing wheelstands with the additional gearing. So that reduction in power sorta levels out the 2.48 vs 2.10 gearing.

Keep in mind that aluminum drums can wear, mine is on it's last leg, the steel plates tear up the lugs inside the drum. Next time I go through the trans I will replace it with a billet steel drum for longevity.
Thanks Rick thats what I was looking for as far as real world testing.. As much as I 've seen your car in videos and running dragweek you should know if there are any gains.. Looks like cost vs. gains to be had is not worth it.. You have and bad Hot rod.. thanks again, Gary

1955 Chevy
496 bbc
best 60' 1.36
best ET 6.23
best MPH 110.67
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 19, 12:20 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
MARK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG55 View Post
I can tell you your on the right track, I've seen a dramatic performance increase with a well built turbo 400, were talking tenths not hundredths, but the price tag was 7500.00.

Machined GM production heads
Oil pan modifications
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in