Crank Trigger Question - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 6:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Crank Trigger Question

Building my drag race only big block and i have a msd digital 7+(7520 not 7531) box. I keep hearing that crank trigger are the best for timing accuracy at higher rpm and was wondering if there is any difference with a locked distributor. As i understand locked distributor wouldn't fluctuate but hey maybe i'm uninformed. I can get the msd crank trigger at a good price and wouldn't mind getting it for peace of mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 8:17 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Crank Trigger Question

Crank trigger doesn't vary in signal area, but, timing chain, cam end play can alter timing signals, even with a locked out distributor.
GabLeGrand likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 8:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Got to go with Dave on this one he is 100% correct.
GabLeGrand likes this.

78 Malibu, 402, eddy heads, 174 B&M blower, th350, holley sniper EFI, 9" 3:70, 26X8.50-15 slicks.
69 VW baja 1679cc. stick shift toy.
96 chevy 1500, tow vehicle.
03 yz85 fun bike.
04 scion XB daily driver.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 8:59 PM
Senior Tech Team

The trigger is the best. What are your goals with this car? As great as a lot of parts are itís easy to turn an affordable race car into one that isnít.
bradley67 and GabLeGrand like this.

Ray

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Best pass 8.87 at 150.98 1.212 60'. Sold 3/2018

1970 SS 396 project in progress. Bought 5/2018
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 9:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Alright then! Seems that i was thinking wrong. Might as well get it now than later
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 9:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracketchev1221 View Post
The trigger is the best. What are your goals with this car? As great as a lot of parts are itís easy to turn an affordable race car into one that isnít.
I'm not really making it the most affordable strip car since i'm building it over long term and still want it to be kind of reliable(i mean no ebay parts). I don't mind paying little extra for some insurance. I'm building a high compression 496 and trying to make ~800hp n/a on race gas, still gathering parts for it and waiting for big sales
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 10:01 PM
Senior Tech Team

If you can afford it go for it. I never bought one. I ran my 565 with an advancing msd distributor and nothing else. I donít know if the trigger was worth any power. I made 980 without the trigger.

Ray

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Best pass 8.87 at 150.98 1.212 60'. Sold 3/2018

1970 SS 396 project in progress. Bought 5/2018
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 10:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jason

My timing light says a crank trigger is more stable and consistent. I have never tested the power difference though.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 19, 1:29 AM
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabLeGrand View Post
Building my drag race only big block and i have a msd digital 7+(7520 not 7531) box. I keep hearing that crank trigger are the best for timing accuracy at higher rpm and was wondering if there is any difference with a locked distributor. As i understand locked distributor wouldn't fluctuate but hey maybe i'm uninformed. I can get the msd crank trigger at a good price and wouldn't mind getting it for peace of mind.

I wouldn't waste my money on a crank trigger expecting power gains of any sort. A digital 7 plus box can complete individual cylinder timing. I would put my money towards the fibre optic pickup and put your time and effort into individual cylinder timing. I completed this on my big block and some cylinders were off as much as 5 degree. ALL 8 cylinders were off the base timing mark on my setup. you want some extra HP, invest here not a crank trigger. best bang for the buck.

to complete the task you will need the fibre optic cam sync, PN is in your instructions. As well a dial back timing light.

utilizing the timing light set the timing with a dial back, to 0 that is, is the easiest. use a pipe tape, tape measure for measuring diameter of pipe, and circle it around the balancer starting at zero. measure your distance and divide by 8, then mark then distances on the pipe tape location. You will have a 0 mark for each cylinder. From here you just move the timing light to each plug wire and adjust it as needed in the MSD software.

1968 Beaumont
502 big block
Stock looking, definitely not stock sounding
HP and ET not determined yet!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 19, 6:15 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFast Beaumont View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabLeGrand View Post

I wouldn't waste my money on a crank trigger expecting power gains of any sort. A digital 7 plus box can complete individual cylinder timing. I would put my money towards the fibre optic pickup and put your time and effort into individual cylinder timing. I completed this on my big block and some cylinders were off as much as 5 degree. ALL 8 cylinders were off the base timing mark on my setup. you want some extra HP, invest here not a crank trigger. best bang for the buck.

to complete the task you will need the fibre optic cam sync, PN is in your instructions. As well a dial back timing light.

utilizing the timing light set the timing with a dial back, to 0 that is, is the easiest. use a pipe tape, tape measure for measuring diameter of pipe, and circle it around the balancer starting at zero. measure your distance and divide by 8, then mark then distances on the pipe tape location. You will have a 0 mark for each cylinder. From here you just move the timing light to each plug wire and adjust it as needed in the MSD software.
I would not buy the crank trigger for power gains but more for a higher rpm safety since i'll might push it a bit sometimes. Never heard of that system and definetly worth to take a look at it 👍
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 19, 8:52 AM
Tech Team
Brian

Garage

I hooked up a crank trigger this year for the first time and not only is the timing light steady, but on my car it starts easier with way less kick back.

Power wise who knows, but it didn't hurt it

Brian

66 chevelle
New Combo
10.2 comp
Straub ProMaxx heads
Straub solid roller
TH400/373
3815lbs
1.31 60'
[email protected]
[email protected]

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 19, 9:23 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFast Beaumont View Post

I've seen an engine make more power on an engine dyno and chassis dyno. Usually upper rpm, but enough power gain to justify it's cost.

1967 Chevelle Malibu 4 door

The 7.99 at 173mph pass:

8.02 at 171mph:

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 19, 12:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragRacer View Post
My timing light says a crank trigger is more stable and consistent. I have never tested the power difference though.
Exactly, crank trigger according to the timing light is rock steady.

'66 SS Chevelle
565 BBC Mamofied 300cc Ovals
4.11 12 bolt
Best e.t. to date [email protected] @115.31
1.301 60' 3355 pbr 1.306 3055S
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 19, 1:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

There would be no sense in trying individual cylinder timing and NOT using a crank trigger. Way too much inconsistency using a distributor. Cam twist, valve train, timing chain, oil pump harmonics, all at the back of the cam, then trying to control timing using a distributor...not good. There is a reason modern engines don't use distributors any more. Crank trigger for any decent race engine should just be a given. Same with a vac pump. Two things I tell my customers...if you want to make the most power you can, you need those two things. Foundational.

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
Straub Technologies

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 19, 4:52 PM
Senior Tech Team

The main reason today's engines use individual, sequential ignition systems is that fun word we all just LOVE....EMISSIONS. Varying the timing in the wrong way makes for more emissions output, with the problem of making less power.

It is all in emissions efficiency and fuel control. When we developed the first HEI's when I worked on that project at GM, the premise was to build an ignition that would need absolutely low maintenance, along with not changing the timing at all during that period, so emissions wold not be increased. So, we designed and developed the large HEI, to replace points systems that changed with every spark plug firing from wear on points rubbing blocks and condition of points contact faces.

If anyone has tinkered with a points distributor for enough to get frustrated with it, they know that when they go into setting the system, they find a dwell change, and the timing they left the system at, retarded. And, during the maintenance, simply resetting the dwell back to the original spec, which would have been done at the service before, brought the timing right back to where it was the last service. I see it all the time, dwell set to 30 degrees, timing set to proper degrees. 10K miles later, dwell is changed, as is timing. Simply returning the dwell to the original 30 degrees, brings the timing straight back to where it was last set, service interval previous.

Electronic ignitions were designed to NOT allow the tiimng spec to change as miles were driven, eliminating one facet of emissions levels increasing. Those electronic systems have evolved into help for our engines along the way, they help increase performance.

If you have an older car that still has a points distributor, you can have some fun learning, set the dwell and timing, then, leave the dwell meter connected, and use the Allen screw to change the dwell as the engine runs, record the timing changes on the balancer, then, bring the dwell back to the original spec. Amazing how a bit of dwell change, changes the entire engine performance by also changing the timing.
steelcomp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in