MSD 6A digital - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 19, 8:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage
MSD 6A digital

I have 2 of these. First one died and was repaired by MSD and failed a second time. Purchased another and that soon failed. Is there a way to test them off vehicle ? Not buying anymore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 19, 9:09 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: MSD 6A digital

Yes, do not use an MSD Blaster coil of any kind.
LeoP likes this.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 19, 12:03 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Most failures are due to low supply voltage.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 19, 12:05 AM
Tech Team
Kerry

I have also seen them fail from low voltage. MSD specs say that it will run with less than 12 volts (such as when a car has poor alternator output at idle), but my experience is that as soon as voltage drops below 12 the msd will misfire.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 19, 1:16 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pockets View Post
I have also seen them fail from low voltage. MSD specs say that it will run with less than 12 volts (such as when a car has poor alternator output at idle), but my experience is that as soon as voltage drops below 12 the msd will misfire.
Bu the voltage should NEVER drop below 12.2 volts anyway, regardless of what ignition system is used. If the voltage is dropping below that during engine operation, then there's either a defective alternator at fault, or a serious wiring problem. This is not neccessarily directed at you, but this reminds me of a trend for some guys to put at least $15K- $30K in a 40 or 50 year old muscle car, and then skimp on the wiring harness by using the original onethat's nearly a half centrury old, or buying one cheap from a junk yard that's just as old, simply because they're too cheap to spend $500 on a new wiring harness.

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 19, 11:34 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

I remember reading somewhere that Blaster coils were made in 3 different locations. Only one was any good. Look on the bottom of your coil to see location. China was one of the bad ones.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 19, 11:38 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

I agree about old wiring not flowing like it should. Check every connector for voltage. Simple reference is why do we change spark plug wires that still look good? Even new ones are possibly different from each other. Remember misting your wires with water at night and starting the engine.

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 19, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

A new harness from AAW was the first thing changed. Using a delco HEI distributor along with the internal coil. Dave Ray how do you test it ?

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 19, 1:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick87gn View Post
A new harness from AAW was the first thing changed. Using a delco HEI distributor along with the internal coil. Dave Ray how do you test it ?
Do you use the low resistance bushing?

I would change to one if not and a modified dust cover so you can run a extern coil.

https://www.holley.com/products/igni...nts/parts/8412

https://www.holley.com/products/igni.../parts/8401MSD

One of these coils should work if you decide to try the remote coil the fast is made in Us according them, summit and jegs
https://www.fuelairspark.com/fast-ps...ance-coil.html
https://www.jegs.com/i/FAST/244/730-0060/10002/-1

https://pertronix.com/pertronix-4501...itional_tabbed

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4” wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 19, 2:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

I was told that the 8253 was a good coil, but it is a Blaster. My digital six is out of the Chevelle 8 years ago, now it's in the Nova.

Malibu ss 64 likes this.

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE THE POWER..... AND IF YOU USE THAT POWER BAD THINGS ARE GOING TO HAPPEN!!

Mike Lewis street 572

Cale Aronson
Black Magic clutches

Cam by UDHarold
Menscer Motorsports

TRZ

CEAutoelectric

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 19, 2:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

I was told that my new 8253 was a good coil, but it is a Blaster. My digital six is out of the Chevelle 8 years ago, now it's in the Nova.

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE THE POWER..... AND IF YOU USE THAT POWER BAD THINGS ARE GOING TO HAPPEN!!

Mike Lewis street 572

Cale Aronson
Black Magic clutches

Cam by UDHarold
Menscer Motorsports

TRZ

CEAutoelectric

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 19, 5:26 PM
Tech Team
Brian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aukai View Post
I was told that my new 8253 was a good coil, but it is a Blaster. My digital six is out of the Chevelle 8 years ago, now it's in the Nova.

Mike that's the coil I run...and for what it costs it better be a good coil Lol!!
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 19, 7:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

LOL, you ain't kidding.....

Mike Lewis street 572

Cale Aronson
Black Magic clutches

Cam by UDHarold
Menscer Motorsports

TRZ

CEAutoelectric

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 19, 8:44 PM
Tech Team
Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by B433 View Post
Mike that's the coil I run...and for what it costs it better be a good coil Lol!!
I use the same coil many years.. No problems to date.
aukai likes this.

Matthew 22: 37-39
R.I.P. Mike Romeo

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 19, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Used a MSD low resistance bushing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in