Performance Our High Performance area

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 19, 2:12 PM
Tech Team

Re: New best ET and mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Chvll View Post
I need a good launch! I think I can squeeze more power out too. It constantly ran 108-110 mph on 91 octane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your current gearing compromise probably doesn't give you much practical use of 6th gear? I'm thinking 4.10 gears would bring the fun factor way up, also make it much easier to get into the 11's.

Let's assume you have potential for a 1.60 60'. The average accel rate for a 1.60 60' is about 1.28g's. Let's also say you want the minimum engine rpm during launch to be 4000. Depending on your tire size with your current 3.42 gearing, at that average accel rate your clutch will need to slip to a point about 30'-35' down the track. That's about 1.2sec to about 1.35sec of required clutch slip to keep rpm above 4k. At the other end of a 1/4mi track, it probably isn't worth shifting into 4th gear.

If you were to switch to 4.10 rear gears, the clutch only needs to slip to about 21'-25' down the track (about 1sec) to stay above 4000rpm. You also get to trap the 1/4 well into 4th gear. On the other side of the compromise with 4.10's, 2200 rpm cruise with a 26" tire in 6th you get 67mph, while a 28" tire gets you 72mph. At 2500 cruise in 6th, 76mph with a 26" tire, 82mph with a 28" tire.

Grant
69Chvll likes this.

Grant
website-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We make your non-adjustable clutch...ADJUSTABLE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 19, 4:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomatrd View Post
I would expect your mph to be higher with that set up.

I agree!!

It wouldnít let me go past 5,900 RPM, which it can rev to 7,000. Either my valve adjustment is off, or fuel settings need to be readjusted. Iím going to try fuel first since itís just restarting my computer

post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 19, 4:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr530 View Post
Your current gearing compromise probably doesn't give you much practical use of 6th gear? I'm thinking 4.10 gears would bring the fun factor way up, also make it much easier to get into the 11's.

Let's assume you have potential for a 1.60 60'. The average accel rate for a 1.60 60' is about 1.28g's. Let's also say you want the minimum engine rpm during launch to be 4000. Depending on your tire size with your current 3.42 gearing, at that average accel rate your clutch will need to slip to a point about 30'-35' down the track. That's about 1.2sec to about 1.35sec of required clutch slip to keep rpm above 4k. At the other end of a 1/4mi track, it probably isn't worth shifting into 4th gear.

If you were to switch to 4.10 rear gears, the clutch only needs to slip to about 21'-25' down the track (about 1sec) to stay above 4000rpm. You also get to trap the 1/4 well into 4th gear. On the other side of the compromise with 4.10's, 2200 rpm cruise with a 26" tire in 6th you get 67mph, while a 28" tire gets you 72mph. At 2500 cruise in 6th, 76mph with a 26" tire, 82mph with a 28" tire.

Grant

Sounds like fun with 4.10! I actually went with 3.42 for economy, which at the time I had a mild 383 in the car. Eventually Iím going to go LS as I have a life goal of driving a million miles in my Chevelle. Iím 32 now with 100k miles on it.

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 19, 4:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:
It took me quite a few launches to get a feel for launching with a clutch. Iíve got about 2k miles on the transmission. I seemed to get more traction attempting to do my burnout than my actual launch haha!
Have you heard of the clutch tamer ? CLUTCHTAMER.COM

What is the ClutchTamer ?...

...A small hydraulic cylinder that takes much of the inconsistent human element out of precisely controlling your car's clutch pedal. It's adjustable for exactly where in the clutch pedal's travel that it becomes active, and adjustable for rate of release from that point on. The cylinder has characteristics similar to those of a 90/10 shock, pulling it's rod out is easy, only the return stroke of the cylinder is controlled. Because the ClutchTamer attaches to the clutch pedal itself, it works equally well on both hydraulic and mechanical clutch release systems/linkage.

With our ClutchTamer installed, only the final part of clutch pedal's release is slowed down, not the whole release cycle, while the rest of the clutch pedal's travel works like normal. If you are using the clutch pedal during shifts, the slipper will soften drivetrain shock during the gear changes as well. Casual driving is NOT affected, no need to dis-connect the ClutchTamer for daily driving.

The Clutch Tamer slip controller allows you to choose a clutch with more capacity than you would normally choose. Typically that clutch would be too aggressive, but the addition of the first stage of the slip control provides the ability to apply only partial pressure initially, allowing slip. The second stage allows additional pressure to come in over time to insure lockup farther down the track.

The most surprising thing that you will realize with the ClutchTamer is how much more power you will be able to put down without breaking parts!

Below is pictured an installed Universal Underdash version of the ClutchTamer. It features independently rotating mounting tabs on each side of the dash bracket, popular with the Muscle Car customers that don't want to modify their mint original dash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clutchslipper2.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	606974  
Kirk's67SS likes this.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 19, 4:49 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville beth View Post
Have you heard of the clutch tamer ?

...A small hydraulic cylinder that takes much of the inconsistent human element out of precisely controlling your car's clutch pedal. It's adjustable for exactly where in the clutch pedal's travel that it becomes active, and adjustable for rate of release from that point on. The cylinder has characteristics similar to those of a 90/10 shock, pulling it's rod out is easy, only the return stroke of the cylinder is controlled. Because the ClutchTamer attaches to the clutch pedal itself, it works equally well on both hydraulic and mechanical clutch release systems/linkage.

With our ClutchTamer installed, only the final part of clutch pedal's release is slowed down, not the whole release cycle, while the rest of the clutch pedal's travel works like normal. If you are using the clutch pedal during shifts, the slipper will soften drivetrain shock during the gear changes as well. Casual driving is NOT affected, no need to dis-connect the ClutchTamer for daily driving.

The Clutch Tamer slip controller allows you to choose a clutch with more capacity than you would normally choose. Typically that clutch would be too aggressive, but the addition of the first stage of the slip control provides the ability to apply only partial pressure initially, allowing slip. The second stage allows additional pressure to come in over time to insure lockup farther down the track.

The most surprising thing that you will realize with the ClutchTamer is how much more power you will be able to put down without breaking parts!

Below is pictured an installed Universal Underdash version of the ClutchTamer. It features independently rotating mounting tabs on each side of the dash bracket, popular with the Muscle Car customers that don't want to modify their mint original dash.
This is a waste of time and money for the majority of people taking their car to the track a couple of times a year. If someone was racing and looking for consistency or hunting a specific goal, and was close, it might be worth a try once they had optimized the rest of their combination. Someone would be better off paying attention to their staging technique, there is a lot of ET given up at the starting line because they never bothered to learn the fundamentals, and itís free.

Steve R

Last edited by Steve R; Nov 3rd, 19 at 4:52 PM. Reason: Z
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 19, 5:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
This is a waste of time and money for the majority of people taking their car to the track a couple of times a year. If someone was racing and looking for consistency or hunting a specific goal, and was close, it might be worth a try once they had optimized the rest of their combination. Someone would be better off paying attention to their staging technique, there is a lot of ET given up at the starting line because they never bothered to learn the fundamentals, and itís free.

Steve R
That's your opinion. The tamer might save you thousands in broken parts.

It's tough to launch a manual trans, and shaving .2 seconds off the 60' time translates into .4 seconds total.

I bet you would spend over $1000 to go that much faster and the clutch tamer costs $170.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 19, 8:01 PM
Tech Team

Quote:

Steve R
If the OP was looking to dip into the 11's with an automatic, would your advice still be to first "optimize the rest of their combination" and "paying attention to their staging technique" before swapping out his stock converter?

Grant
Kirk's67SS likes this.

Grant
website-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 19, 8:24 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
If the OP was looking to dip into the 11's with an automatic, would your advice still be to first "optimize the rest of their combination" and "paying attention to their staging technique" before swapping out his stock converter?

Grant
What does that have to do with anything?

The clutch tamer might be a good idea, but not in this situation. Heís running 12.90ís, goes to the track, which is permanently closing at the end of next season, once or twice a year. I think there are better places to focus on at this point.

Steve R
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 19, 8:41 PM
Tech Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville beth View Post
Quote:
It took me quite a few launches to get a feel for launching with a clutch. I’ve got about 2k miles on the transmission. I seemed to get more traction attempting to do my burnout than my actual launch haha!
Have you heard of the clutch tamer ? CLUTCHTAMER.COM

Never seen one in action but that’s a solid concept and less broken parts are always a plus.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

Proving every day hindsight is 20/20.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 19, 8:57 PM
Tech Team

Have a race friend that uses a clutch tamer on his Fox body stang with his drag radials. Before he was spinning no matter how he launched it and 11.90's to 12.0 was the best he could do, after the clutch tamer he can dead hook the car and it now clicks off high 11.40's pretty good for the small investment if you ask me.
-SS454-, Kirk's67SS and 69Chvll like this.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 19, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Chevele View Post
Have a race friend that uses a clutch tamer on his Fox body stang with his drag radials. Before he was spinning no matter how he launched it and 11.90's to 12.0 was the best he could do, after the clutch tamer he can dead hook the car and it now clicks off high 11.40's pretty good for the small investment if you ask me.

Sounds like it could be something to consider. Iím probably going to focus on tuning my setup. Iím not going to get much track time in the future as itís shutting down. I will probably do more road course stuff in the future. Iíve got a lot of added suspension goodies already added.

post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 19, 12:11 PM
Tech Team

Quote:

Grant
Quote:
What does that have to do with anything?

The clutch tamer might be a good idea, but not in this situation. Heís running 12.90ís, goes to the track, which is permanently closing at the end of next season, once or twice a year. I think there are better places to focus on at this point.

Steve R
The engine needs rpm to make power, but the radials need to dead hook. Much like choosing a proper converter is to automatics, the ability to tune clutch hit intensity is an important part of bringing a stick shift launch together. It becomes extremely important when you add radials to the mix. Just because one doesn't have a local track doesn't mean they can't enjoy having a quick stick shift car that doesn't break.

When my closest track closed, I shifted my focus to zero prep surfaces like county roads and airport runways.

Grant
Kirk's67SS likes this.

Grant
website-

post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 19, 3:22 PM

Congrats....new best always start the week off good!!!!!

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 19, 9:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
James

Thanks! I adjusted my valve lash today, we will see if it can RPM better tomorrow.

post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 19, 6:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
James

Valve lash gave me some more vacuum but thatís about it. Looks like my fueling wasnít good at WOT. I reset the fuel parameters and so far so good.

Kirk's67SS likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in