Intercooling solution - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 19, 4:23 PM Thread Starter

Intercooling solution

Long story short I recently bought a big block E85 ProCharged 72 Chevelle. The previous owner had the motor rebuild a year ago and in one racing season used it up running high IATs and no intercooler. Its running aprox 20psi and est 1500hp. Its being rebuilt and my motor guy says he wont even dyno it until its intercooled as that's the only way to get any longevity out of it at its current power level. Its streetable and I want to keep it that way so running methanol isn't an option.

Whats the best solution you guys have seen? I searched and didn't find much at all when it comes to mounting a FMIC in a 72 Chevelle. I would like to stick with air to air as its the least expensive option if possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 19, 6:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

Re: Intercooling solution

Have you thought of meth injection? As long as everything works, it might be superior to a intercooler.

'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, Holley Multiport Fuel Injection, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi Eaton TruTrac, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 19, 6:26 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Run it on E85. Next best thing if you can't handle using Methanol.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 19, 7:09 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

I would reach out to Calculated risk (Rick) as he has a procharged SBC and a 7 second turbo SBC Chevelle....so I would say that he knows doing!

73 nova,3515#(all steel)Pump gas!(91octane)406ci N/A, best 1/4,1.45 '60,[email protected],10.6 @ 122.38, short shifting,NO tuning!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 19, 8:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
Have you thought of meth injection? As long as everything works, it might be superior to a intercooler.
I ran meth injection on my last car (supercharged LS3), saw some improvement but ended up adding a water to air intercooler to get the desired results.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 19, 8:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyno jonn View Post
Run it on E85. Next best thing if you can't handle using Methanol.
Its tuned and running on E85. I have all of the previous owners racing data. Its run with a Holley Dominator and he gave me the laptop with all of the data and, even on E85, the IATs were really high running the stock intake off of the ProCharger.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 19, 10:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

just do a google search and you will see a lot of options for a 72 with a front mount intercooler.

78 Malibu, 402, eddy heads, 174 B&M blower, th350, holley sniper EFI, 9" 3:70, 26X8.50-15 slicks.
69 VW baja 1679cc. stick shift toy.
96 chevy 1500, tow vehicle.
03 yz85 fun bike.
04 scion XB daily driver.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 19, 11:47 PM
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Whittington Jr. View Post
Long story short I recently bought a big block E85 ProCharged 72 Chevelle. The previous owner had the motor rebuild a year ago and in one racing season used it up running high IATs and no intercooler. Its running aprox 20psi and est 1500hp. Its being rebuilt and my motor guy says he wont even dyno it until its intercooled as that's the only way to get any longevity out of it at its current power level. Its streetable and I want to keep it that way so running methanol isn't an option.

Whats the best solution you guys have seen? I searched and didn't find much at all when it comes to mounting a FMIC in a 72 Chevelle. I would like to stick with air to air as its the least expensive option if possible.
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/66-...t-build-3.html

post 32 of 87.

I relocated the radiator back 2 inchs and mounted a 4" thick intercooler in front of the radiatior. It is a really tight fit with approx. 1/4" clearance or less in most spots. Only need to radius out the rad support for the charge tubes, nothing more. Core size was 24x12x4, should be good for 900-1000hp. generally anything over 1000-1200 most switch over to the water to air setup, use a small Honda radiator in front with a electric waterpump driving it.

With my FMIC setup I do not see over 100F IAT. most of the time I am between 80-95F. Only time it rises over 100F is a heat soak in the staging lanes, usually a burnout will get it under 100F, or throw the electric fans on.

1968 Beaumont
502 big block
Stock looking, definitely not stock sounding
HP and ET not determined yet!
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 19, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFast Beaumont View Post
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/66-...t-build-3.html

post 32 of 87.

I relocated the radiator back 2 inchs and mounted a 4" thick intercooler in front of the radiatior. It is a really tight fit with approx. 1/4" clearance or less in most spots. Only need to radius out the rad support for the charge tubes, nothing more. Core size was 24x12x4, should be good for 900-1000hp. generally anything over 1000-1200 most switch over to the water to air setup, use a small Honda radiator in front with a electric waterpump driving it.

With my FMIC setup I do not see over 100F IAT. most of the time I am between 80-95F. Only time it rises over 100F is a heat soak in the staging lanes, usually a burnout will get it under 100F, or throw the electric fans on.

That looks like the direction I`ll be going. Thanks.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 19, 2:38 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Quote:

i have one added to front of rad support;
i had to carve/cut away some grill supports,
and eliminate most of the center support the hood release was attached to.
it is the procharger 1050 hp unit with 3.5'' inlet and outlet;
it is about the same size as the radiator, but it fits now

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 19, 2:42 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHT/73 View Post
I would reach out to Calculated risk (Rick) as he has a procharged SBC and a 7 second turbo SBC Chevelle....so I would say that he knows doing!
Thank you, that's a huge compliment.

1967 Chevelle Malibu 4 door

The 7.99 at 173mph pass:

8.02 at 171mph:

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 19, 6:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceS427bb View Post
i have one added to front of rad support;
i had to carve/cut away some grill supports,
and eliminate most of the center support the hood release was attached to.
it is the procharger 1050 hp unit with 3.5'' inlet and outlet;
it is about the same size as the radiator, but it fits now
That's what I was afraid of, cutting up the front to fit a large enough air to air intercooler. Any issues with coolant temps?

Found this guy, its a Nova but his air to water setup looks doable. See anyone use something similar in a Chevelle?

Im running the F1-X. Here is a pick of my current setup. Everything fits under the stock hood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chevelle 3.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	607012  
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 19, 10:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Quote:
That's what I was afraid of, cutting up the front to fit a large enough air to air intercooler. Any issues with coolant temps?
Im running the F1-X. Here is a pick of my current setup. Everything fits under the stock hood.
i have a fibre glass L88 hood secured with hood pin/locks on the stock hinges; the stock latch assy. c/n be used and was removed for room.
the coolant temps got hotter when i reinstalled the stock wheel wells;
i had to get the initial timing right along with a 71-72 style fan shroud and large mechanical fan w/direct drive off the waterpump;
i also got a 3-row champion radiator;
temps are so good now i even removed the aux trans cooler from front of radiator.
just using the internal trans cooler in radiator.
out here in the desert with ambient temps of 100* the car runs @ 180-195* with a 180* hi flow thermostat...
with a hughes custom 3900-stall torq converter

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 19, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceS427bb View Post
i have a fibre glass L88 hood secured with hood pin/locks on the stock hinges; the stock latch assy. c/n be used and was removed for room.
the coolant temps got hotter when i reinstalled the stock wheel wells;
i had to get the initial timing right along with a 71-72 style fan shroud and large mechanical fan w/direct drive off the waterpump;
i also got a 3-row champion radiator;
temps are so good now i even removed the aux trans cooler from front of radiator.
just using the internal trans cooler in radiator.
out here in the desert with ambient temps of 100* the car runs @ 180-195* with a 180* hi flow thermostat...
with a hughes custom 3900-stall torq converter
Pics?
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 19, 1:46 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

Quote:
Its tuned and running on E85. I have all of the previous owners racing data. Its run with a Holley Dominator and he gave me the laptop with all of the data and, even on E85, the IATs were really high running the stock intake off of the ProCharger.

Define "really high"?

1967 Chevelle Malibu 4 door

The 7.99 at 173mph pass:

8.02 at 171mph:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in