• 1 Post By langss
  • 1 Post By Calculated Risk
  • 1 Post By WHT/73

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 19, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Steam holes in Profiler heads

Anyone ever drill steam holes in Profiler heads? In my search for heads for my 400 I looked into Profiler. I asked them about drilling the holes and they don't do it. I talked to a head guy and he said he drilled one set and won't do another. What's up with that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 19, 12:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

Re: Steam holes in Profiler heads

Drilling steam holes in aftermarket aluminum heads is hit or miss. You can't go by the same set up as with older iron heads from a 400. ON some alum heads you need a different angle and you may never hit water. Most guys just don't bother these days.

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
Straub Technologies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 19, 1:13 PM
Senior Tech Team

look up speir, ask Chad himself. Curious to see why they said that. Metallurgy problem? hope not
Jebchevelle likes this.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 19, 1:14 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Scott, so no problems with steam pockets or running hot on the street?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 19, 3:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrofox View Post
Scott, so no problems with steam pockets or running hot on the street?
That seemed to be a GM issue. If you gooogle the subject you'll get a ton of explanations but I don't think it's a problem. I think GM did it because they "thought" there would be issues with the siamese cylinders in the 400 or something about if the engine had to idle too long it would cause issues...something like that.

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
Straub Technologies

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 19, 8:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Dart does it if you request it or so I was told when talked to them about a set of pro1 230 heads for my 400 project.
Only thing for me is, I been looking at a set of 230 pro 1's local for $1400 they are complete assembled from Dart but gone through by a local builder that did some work to them as far as gasket matching and exhaust valve opening up in the chambers they started life as 64cc but are closer to 66cc now. So like you was looking to get the holes done after the fact lol. My local machine shop here in pueblo will drill them but said pretty much what Scot did about with aftermarket heads they don't see the need.

PS.They charge $60 for the pair if you really want them done.

78 Malibu, 402, eddy heads, 174 B&M blower, th350, holley sniper EFI, 9" 3:70, 26X8.50-15 slicks.
69 VW baja 1679cc. stick shift toy.
96 chevy 1500, tow vehicle.
03 yz85 fun bike.
04 scion XB daily driver.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 19, 9:02 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

I think you only need the bottom ones.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 19, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 cruiser View Post
I think you only need the bottom ones.
I just looked at the deck on the block and I think you're correct. You can see where steam would get trapped at the lower hole because of the siamese bore, but the top hole has a large water passage in the deck right above it so as the steam rises it could escape there.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 19, 12:38 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

I had deck plugs installed obviously before decking and had the holes done in my afr’s but prolly didn’t have to as mentioned prior.
Never had an issue running hot. Just a summit alum rad with 2 1” rows and a summit alum water pump. Elect fan or clutch same result. 170*
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3151845B-99C3-458B-BE5A-22AF6D660128_1572277082486.jpeg
Views:	3
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	606534  
Jebchevelle likes this.

73 nova,3515#(all steel)Pump gas!(91octane)406ci N/A, best 1/4,1.45 '60,[email protected],10.6 @ 122.38, short shifting,NO tuning!

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 19, 3:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

I picked up a set of "Holley" Aluminum Heads a few years ago. The owner had no info, and he was pretty much giving them away, and I figured "How Bad Can They Be" compared to 882's. I emailed Holley, for information and specifications and they sent me (snail mail) everything I had asked for....even a couple of Holley Stickers.....About three days after, I got the package I got an email advising me "Under No Circumstance Drill Steam Holes In These Heads", it will void the warranty.
Jebchevelle likes this.

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 19, 7:12 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrofox View Post
Anyone ever drill steam holes in Profiler heads? In my search for heads for my 400 I looked into Profiler. I asked them about drilling the holes and they don't do it. I talked to a head guy and he said he drilled one set and won't do another. What's up with that?
I don't drill them.
Jebchevelle likes this.

1967 Chevelle Malibu 4 door

The 7.99 at 173mph pass:

8.02 at 171mph:

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 19, 10:11 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHT/73 View Post
I had deck plugs installed obviously before decking and had the holes done in my afrís but prolly didnít have to as mentioned prior.
Never had an issue running hot. Just a summit alum rad with 2 1Ē rows and a summit alum water pump. Elect fan or clutch same result. 170*
where did you get the deck plugs from? I may have them done to mine just for piece of mind.

78 Malibu, 402, eddy heads, 174 B&M blower, th350, holley sniper EFI, 9" 3:70, 26X8.50-15 slicks.
69 VW baja 1679cc. stick shift toy.
96 chevy 1500, tow vehicle.
03 yz85 fun bike.
04 scion XB daily driver.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 19, 10:27 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebchevelle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHT/73 View Post
I had deck plugs installed obviously before decking and had the holes done in my afr’s but prolly didn’t have to as mentioned prior.
Never had an issue running hot. Just a summit alum rad with 2 1” rows and a summit alum water pump. Elect fan or clutch same result. 170*
where did you get the deck plugs from? I may have them done to mine just for piece of mind.
My engine builder bought and installed them then did all the machine work to the block.
I would think you could get them at summit/JEGS
Jebchevelle likes this.

73 nova,3515#(all steel)Pump gas!(91octane)406ci N/A, best 1/4,1.45 '60,[email protected],10.6 @ 122.38, short shifting,NO tuning!

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 19, 4:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebchevelle View Post
They are just 3/4" allen head pipe plugs but if you want a set already drilled Moroso has them
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-37800

Mike (Wolfplace)
VISIT US AT

++Complete Machine shop & Dyno services++
================================
Welcome to the internet,,, "Experts" made daily
===
"Life is tough.,, Life is even tougher if you're stupid."
----John Wayne----

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in