Avg 540 cost - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

73Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 95 (permalink) Unread Oct 22nd, 19, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Avg 540 cost

Was browsing ads, seen various parts for these looks pricy yet I see crate 540s for under 10 online.

What blocks are these guys using, whats a decent one run seem to be more and more popular.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 95 (permalink) Unread Oct 22nd, 19, 10:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Re: Avg 540 cost

I see no reason not to use a Dart block as a foundation. Not much different than a 502 block cost wise.
Tarheel Chevelle likes this.

'66 SS Chevelle
565 BBC Mamofied 300cc Ovals
4.11 12 bolt
Best e.t. to date [email protected] @115.31
1.315 60'
post #3 of 95 (permalink) Unread Oct 22nd, 19, 10:34 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
Was browsing ads, seen various parts for these looks pricy yet I see crate 540s for under 10 online.

I dont see how you can do one for that price and make any money but I suppose some of these places work on quantity. Maybe with some "no-name" heads etc.

The last one I did was for a boat. It was a Merlin block and Heads. Crower rotating parts. Hydraulic roller. It was about 25K carbs to oil pan. It had a B&M 420 blower setup on it. That was probably 15 years ago.
Steve R likes this.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100

post #4 of 95 (permalink) Unread Oct 22nd, 19, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Sure it cant be cheap..ol skippy white had one up for 8 maybe 10? Dont know how they do it
What about longevity, notice most have to run a ton of duration so it doesnt choke too soon, would a HR puke real soon?
Like my sb.....idea of an 18 deg motor is appealing but a lot of the guys Im meeting all have big blocks I hear the speech a lot lol
MAybe I should take a ride in one.

What about cooling issues? All except one BB I had heating was a problem.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #5 of 95 (permalink) Unread Oct 22nd, 19, 11:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

I rode with Rowdy in Vegas, he may have been before your time here, with his 66 Mike Lewis 540 Chevelle. Sold my 454, and gave away all of my SBC stuff.

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE THE POWER..... AND IF YOU USE THAT POWER BAD THINGS ARE GOING TO HAPPEN!!

Mike Lewis street 572

Cale Aronson
Black Magic clutches

Cam by UDHarold
Menscer Motorsports

TRZ

CEAutoelectric

post #6 of 95 (permalink) Unread Oct 23rd, 19, 12:49 AM
Team Member
George

Quote:

What blocks are these guys using, whats a decent one run seem to be more and more popular.
Dart Big M is what I looked into.....too many $$$ for me. So its a cheap LS / nitrous build.....
Steve R and B52bombardier1 like this.

'71 Malibu
3580 #, Carbed 6.0l LS swap in process
T-350, PTC 9" converter, 12 bolt, spool, 3.90 gears, MT ET R 275/60/15

355 [email protected]
125 [email protected]
383 Mud Motor- [email protected]
100 shot [email protected]
'72 Greenbrier Wagon: 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with 3.73
post #7 of 95 (permalink) Unread Oct 23rd, 19, 1:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

I remember Rowdy, heard a few guys reactions after riding in a 540.
Can you even get the power to the ground?

Quote:

post #8 of 95 (permalink) Unread Oct 23rd, 19, 1:46 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

I have about $14,000 into my 540. I used a new Gen 6 502 block that I picked up from a private seller cheap. The rest of the combo is an Eagle rotating assembly, AFR heads and Straub Hyd roller. I love the power and streetability of the set up.
post #9 of 95 (permalink) Unread Oct 23rd, 19, 1:56 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:

These engines are designed specifically for the guy that just wants to go to the local cruise, open his hood and tell everyone within earshot his car has 750hp. They will likely never see the business end of a race track.

Steve R

Last edited by Steve R; Oct 23rd, 19 at 1:57 AM. Reason: X
post #10 of 95 (permalink) Unread Oct 23rd, 19, 2:31 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

He had an article written in Car Craft(IIRC), and surprised the writers that were at an event. He drove in, took some stuff out of the car checked tire pressure, went to the line, and ran 10.60s,(IIRC again) then drove home when it was done. As much as a daily driver as you can get also, kids to school, etc.

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE THE POWER..... AND IF YOU USE THAT POWER BAD THINGS ARE GOING TO HAPPEN!!

Mike Lewis street 572

Cale Aronson
Black Magic clutches

Cam by UDHarold
Menscer Motorsports

TRZ

CEAutoelectric

post #11 of 95 (permalink) Unread Oct 23rd, 19, 8:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
sam

Garage

Good friend of mine has a Vortecpro 555 in his 68 with just over 800hp. Wow is it fun to ride in. Getting power to the ground is the challenge. He has been upgrading the suspension and is soon to get a new trans. He just did drag week with it with zero issues. I believe he was around the 14k mark.
It has a dart block and AFR heads
ShouldntBeHere likes this.

1967 Royal Plum, 434BB, AFR Heads, 3.90 gears, New Chris Straub Hyd Roller!, 200r4

Last edited by scalise71; Oct 23rd, 19 at 8:50 AM. Reason: Add info
post #12 of 95 (permalink) Unread Oct 23rd, 19, 9:10 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

I harken back to racer1320s philosophy of simple and straightforward to run 10s which was always highly desirable to me. Thats wicked quick. Then I think why would you need (not want) anything more than that, especially on the street?

Id love to throw open my hood on a street car that has a stamped metal OE air cleaner assembly on it with no headers and and an orange painted intake with no aftermarket parts displayed anywhere and be able to run 10.xx. Id hate to have a $15,000 plus engine boasting 750 plus HP that did not run appreciable numbers.
427L88 likes this.

Mencken: The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
post #13 of 95 (permalink) Unread Oct 23rd, 19, 9:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

I like this shortblock:

https://www.competitionproducts.com/.../#.XbBILtJKiUk

post #14 of 95 (permalink) Unread Oct 23rd, 19, 9:33 AM
Tech Team
Lew

Garage

I have a 540 and got mine back in 1994 (bowtie block) but had to piece it together back then. I think from pan to carb they can range from say $10K to up to say $17K depending (could go higher just trying to stick within a norm and iron block - aluminum block add $4K) on extra goodies like better rods, crank, fully ported heads and stuff like that. Shafroff website can probably give you an idea as they have a poo-poo platter set up. That being said it does not stop there. You don't throw a 540 in a car and think you are all done. Not sure what you have now but you need at least 2 inch headers, a 3 inch exhaust, a regular torque converter is not going to like the 700 foot pounds of torque nor is the transmission, rear end, u-joints and drive shaft. Depending on the manifold you also may need a hood. Cooling system may also need to be looked into. So if you have average parts that were made more for stock 350-400 hp then you could spend another $10k getting all that situated. Oh yes, some mentioned above tires and suspension - the G60-14/15 polyglass tires wont work well on a motor like this.
post #15 of 95 (permalink) Unread Oct 23rd, 19, 9:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post
I've been looking at that very same short block. With some decent heads, cam, valvetrain, intake ect you quickly land in that 12k range. How does Skip White do it? Cheap China heads? Anyone have any experience with his engines?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in