Performance Our High Performance area

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 19, 3:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Re: L-29 heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmchevelle View Post
Very interesting that the 215's didn't do any better for you than the peanut ports. I wonder if you've just stumbled upon a somewhat "just right" combination. Also, wondering what will take it to the next level. I'm anxious to see what the L29's do.
The PP heads were an experiment and they impressed me more than any closed chamber head I have ever used. I like the L-29 heads with the chamber and that alone will require less timing to make more power. The exhaust port on them are far superior to any other production BBC head GM ever used. All I need to better the PP 236 heads is 265 on the intake side and around 195 exhaust. I will take out the rocker stud hump in the ports and grind away on the swirl hump also as for racing it's not that important. Should have them done by Dec. I mat have this one head porter do a 5 angle job on the intake and a radius exhaust cut to help the air flow out. I do have a set of ported 360 PP heads ready to go if this does not work out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 19, 6:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Chevele View Post
The PP heads were an experiment and they impressed me more than any closed chamber head I have ever used. I like the L-29 heads with the chamber and that alone will require less timing to make more power. The exhaust port on them are far superior to any other production BBC head GM ever used. All I need to better the PP 236 heads is 265 on the intake side and around 195 exhaust. I will take out the rocker stud hump in the ports and grind away on the swirl hump also as for racing it's not that important. Should have them done by Dec. I mat have this one head porter do a 5 angle job on the intake and a radius exhaust cut to help the air flow out. I do have a set of ported 360 PP heads ready to go if this does not work out.
The closed chambered heads have long been a favorite around here in part due to what Ed and others were able to show us was possible with them but this throws a bit of a monkey wrench into the works. A good monkey wrench, though. Who'd have thought mildly ported peanut port heads on a sub 8.0 compression shortblock and a relatively mild cam would go well in to the 11's in the 1/4? If possible, take some pics and or video to share on the progress with the L29's. I'd be interested in seeing it.
68Chevele likes this.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 19, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
The closed chambered heads have long been a favorite around here in part due to what Ed and others were able to show us was possible with them but this throws a bit of a monkey wrench into the works. A good monkey wrench, though. Who'd have thought mildly ported peanut port heads on a sub 8.0 compression shortblock and a relatively mild cam would go well in to the 11's in the 1/4? If possible, take some pics and or video to share on the progress with the L29's. I'd be interested in seeing it.
I sure can take some pictures.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 19, 5:00 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
I sure can take some pictures.
I would be interested as well.

92Camaro
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 19, 9:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Camaro View Post
I would be interested as well.

92Camaro
I have a couple I can post this coming week. I will tell you guys one thing I did take out the swirl hump on the advice of my head machinist guy. I told him I thought you should just take part of it down as it would hurt the flow, he looked surprised by this and told me "are you going to race them or go for a Sunday cruise". He did show me a 6.0 LS head he did that he took out the hump and it peak flowed 340cfm and all the way up the numbers were good. He also stated that sure if it were a street application I might not take that out but when I build a NHRA super stock head we want it all. I also took out the rocker stud hump on the good port also. On the exhaust I did find some interesting stuff with the port. Seems it's the same as the Bow Tie heads except it's just smaller so I will open up the sides and get the same as the other heads that flow 240 on the exhaust side. May not quite get that with a 1.72 valve but it should be better than the dismal 150 something GM makes wit them. I will for sure flow these when I am done.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 19, 5:03 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
I have a couple I can post this coming week. I will tell you guys one thing I did take out the swirl hump on the advice of my head machinist guy. I told him I thought you should just take part of it down as it would hurt the flow, he looked surprised by this and told me "are you going to race them or go for a Sunday cruise". He did show me a 6.0 LS head he did that he took out the hump and it peak flowed 340cfm and all the way up the numbers were good. He also stated that sure if it were a street application I might not take that out but when I build a NHRA super stock head we want it all. I also took out the rocker stud hump on the good port also. On the exhaust I did find some interesting stuff with the port. Seems it's the same as the Bow Tie heads except it's just smaller so I will open up the sides and get the same as the other heads that flow 240 on the exhaust side. May not quite get that with a 1.72 valve but it should be better than the dismal 150 something GM makes wit them. I will for sure flow these when I am done.
Thanks for the reply and your time. Just what I want to see and hear.

92Camaro
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 19, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Here are some L-29 head pictures,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191102_231303.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	607288   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191107_091819.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	607290   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191107_091830.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	607292  
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 19, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Here is a couple of pictures of the old 236 11 sec heads. Nothing fancy stock size valves. I have though about adding a ski jump to the top of the port thinking it might help with these. I got the idea from the SBC Vortec heads as it's there to help with velocity and your not supposed to cut it out, just wondering if the same would apply on a BBC PP head.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191007_112518.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	607294   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191007_112532.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	607296  
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 10:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rod

Quote:
Here are some L-29 head pictures,
Quote:
Here is a couple of pictures of the old 236 11 sec heads. Nothing fancy stock size valves. I have though about adding a ski jump to the top of the port thinking it might help with these. I got the idea from the SBC Vortec heads as it's there to help with velocity and your not supposed to cut it out, just wondering if the same would apply on a BBC PP head.
Thanks for the pictures. Stock valve sizes with only mild porting is impressive.
68Chevele likes this.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 4:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Thanks for the pictures. Stock valve sizes with only mild porting is impressive.
I will see if I can find pictures of my 360 ported PP heads and post them up.
Rmchevelle likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in